Page 77 of 78 FirstFirst ... 276775767778 LastLast

Thread: Breaking news ... Grizzly bear hunt demise

Re: Breaking news ... Grizzly bear hunt demise

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    The last statement of your post is our future if this is let slide. It's an easy way for antis to target hunters if these new regs stand.

Its not big crushing blows to are what wins a fight alone its all the little ones that set it up that lead to the finish. This is a smart tactic and antis are setting us up picking away at hunting right now
    yup, what you say is 100% true.
    but now we have got to find a way to stop it....
    I was just looking at it as if it is "out of our control".....then what?

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    I Wonder ...

if we will no longer be able to hunt for trophy gbear (meaning hide skull et has to be left behind)...BUT...
    if they still let the hunt go on for "meat".....wonder if we can than ask for a season to be open in the "Fall"...
    not just the "Spring"????

???Theres fall grizzly LEH. I was one of the lucky winners this year.

Hello HBCers,

is is there any plan to do anything about this? I haven't heard of anyone organizing any sort of campaign against this unscientific approach to conservation, habitat or wildlife management. I have written my MLA, hunting and fishing club, and BCWF about this topic. I explained to my MLA (Judy Darcy in New Westminster) that I'd be happy to discuss this or answer questions if she doesn't know any hunters or has questions. Overall I haven't encountered anyone who is organizing to combat this. I don't want to start something which is already started by another group or organization, but I will if no one is organizing anything. Can anyone point me towards a group that is making noise on our behalf to prevent emotion and charismatic mega-fawna (quote: Steven Rinella) from setting wildlife policy. Science and evidence should set policy.

Wild Sheep Society of BC
    Yesterday at 9:52am ·

In light of the BC NDP’s recent decision regarding grizzly bear management, the Wild Sheep Society of British Columbia (WSSBC) supports the requirement to use the edible portions of meat. However, the WSSBC does not support the wasting of usable parts of wildlife nor the lack of attention to science based management principals around the use and harvest of grizzly bears.

The WSSBC advocates for science based wildlife management of wild sheep and all wildlife within British Columbia. BC has a long history of science based management that has lead to educated, informed decisions on the management of wildlife within the province. The WSSBC trusts the judgement of highly qualified provincial wildlife and habitat biologists that utilize hunting as a tool for managing large carnivores.

We regularly consult and collaborate with provincial wildlife biologists, conservation organizations, and guide outfitters for insight on our habitat enhancement projects. We will continue to advocate for wild sheep and wild sheep habitat through science and support sustainable use and conservation of all wildlife and wilderness.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    ???Theres fall grizzly LEH. I was one of the lucky winners this year.
    Not R4....or???, did I blow that chance??

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPdHJ View Post
    Hello HBCers,

is is there any plan to do anything about this? I haven't heard of anyone organizing any sort of campaign against this unscientific approach to conservation, habitat or wildlife management. I have written my MLA, hunting and fishing club, and BCWF about this topic. I explained to my MLA (Judy Darcy in New Westminster) that I'd be happy to discuss this or answer questions if she doesn't know any hunters or has questions. Overall I haven't encountered anyone who is organizing to combat this. I don't want to start something which is already started by another group or organization, but I will if no one is organizing anything. Can anyone point me towards a group that is making noise on our behalf to prevent emotion and charismatic mega-fawna (quote: Steven Rinella) from setting wildlife policy. Science and evidence should set policy.
    Same here, I've written the premier etc, but I thought at least the BCWF would make a statement against the NDP's emotionally based wildlife decisions..if your up for fighting it, I'll try and help ya as time permits (I'm very busy)..pm me if I can help..

^^^^^good to see the Sheep Society condemning the NDP's decision...I hope they publish their statement in newspapers etc where the regular public can see it..

Hey folks
    i was wondering if anyone has had any response from their letters to the premier, Green Party leader, their local MLA or the MFLNR. I've heard from my local MLA (liberal)and just today heard from Mr. Weavers office. Nothing from the NDP though. I hope they have been too busy responding to all you're guys letter to get to mine. Probably not, though.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPdHJ View Post
    Hello HBCers,

I agree that push back is absolutely necessary, and advocacy for science and evidence in establishing policy is critical (across the board, not only in this situation). How to get there is less clear to me. Individual efforts to push back are necessary and laudable, but probably not sufficient. There are great strengths in numbers and dollars, and in my view, a consistent presence in Victoria. Even if they wanted to (highly unlikely), Gov't does not have to consult with the hunting community because we are not organized in a way that compels them to. Who would they talk to? Who represents us and what we stand for? Are we a political force to be reckoned with?

Much easier to do what Gov't has done - lob out policy that panders to an election stance and see what happens. If nothing, then clearly people don't object, and the experiment reveals the people do not require rational approaches to policy. This approach is clearly not unique to the NDP, and so the hunting community needs to be seen as a force to be reckoned with regardless of who governs in Victoria or Ottawa.

We need to organize.

Agree with the above posts.
    Whether hunters like it or not we need paid professional lobbyists and media consultants. The average Joe myself included is far from the verbal skill set required to stay on point without offending the non hunting general public. Politicians require a constant thorn in their sides that can play the media game the way most of us cannot.