Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 300 win mag deer round

Re: 300 win mag deer round

Shoot behind front shoulder if you want to minimize damage and use good bullets. Personally more of a fan of shoulder shots to pin em down and hit vitals. Rather have 5 lbs of meat for garbage than 200 lbs wondering around in the bush.

Surprised people are pumping bullets that are known and are built to fragment and will inevitably result in major blood shot and lead scattered throughout the carcass. Some sort of strange world we live in when people are pumping NPs and CLs for minimizing blood shot. You hit bone, at an angle, or shoulder and you will have devastation - it is that simple.

Skinned out deer number 15 for the season early this morning, all different kinds of bullets. This one was out of a .308, with FDs core-lokts - not surprised the far front shoulder is a complete mess. Not complaining, just not surprised as that is what that bullet is built to do.

I have one answer - TTSX.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Sounds like the voice of experience.
    Yeah, not my animal but was there when a bull moose took a 180 grain tsx point blank from a 300wm under the eyeball just to swing his head back and blink in defiance.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post

Skinned out deer number 15 for the season early this morning,

Any more and you'd say so.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Any more and you'd say so.
    There are only a couple outcomes when people talk about bullets that are supposed to shed a pile of lead in an animal and say there's little to no bloodshot.

1) They didn't hit much bone
    2) They hit it in the guts
    3) They hit bone and the bullet failed

Those are really the only possible outcomes. People shouldn't be surprised with an exploder type bullet and bloodshot meat - that is what they are designed to do. People shouldn't promote an exploder as a 'no bloodshot meat' bullet either because they had it happen on one or two animals.

If you want a non-exploder bullet, buy one.

Lastly, but most importantly, be happy you recovered your animal, even if it cost you a shoulder.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

The Barnes TSX in 180 or 200 has worked well for me in my 300 win. I don't want to rework my zero mid season after hunting grizz or moose. I aim for shoulder. The bone damage is indeed amazing but I actually have found very little for blood shot, and the bone fragments are pretty easy to work around. The animal is anchored on the spot which I perfer. I laughed one year when a member of this site gave me hell for a shoulder shot on a little whitetail buck. Do you know how much meat is actually in a dinky dog deer's shoulder? 1 family sized roast. HaHaHa

Hmmmm not a fan of headshots...ever.
    And when your slightly off that lung shot...say using a .338 with tsx 225 gr barnes...that off shoulder will be toast..trust me..lol..
    Cheers
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Gilmore View Post
    Au contraire... I shoot Gatehouse loaded TTSX 150 gr out of my 300wmag and love them. Used to shoot 180's all the time, he talked me into trying the 150's and I'll never go back for deer and sheep. Made a poorly placed shot on a mulie last year that would have decimated an entire quarter with 180gr lead core bullet. Instead it dropped it in its tracks and I lost less than 5 pounds of meat. Not to mention the flattest shooting round I have ever shot.
    Fisher Dude wouldn't believe it!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Is there any there bullet for the 300wm other then a 180gr Barnes? I have shot well over 30 deer, 3 elk and 1 moose with them. All died and depending on where I hit them had a direct correlation on how much meat was damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    I believe nothing from those green thumbs in Spudsville, BC.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    I believe nothing from those green thumbs in Spudsville, BC.

If FD sitting in his underwear with his tinfoil hat on poking away at his keyboard with one knarled pointy finger doesn't believe it you can bet the farm on the fact that it is the gods honest truth!!
    They laughed at my boots, laughed at my jeans, laughed when they gave me amphetamines
    Left me alone in a mean part of town, 36 hrs to come back down...am I the last of my kind?