Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biologists seek clues to B.C. moose deaths

Biologists seek clues to B.C. moose deaths

Population decline sparks state-of-the-art research

In The Van Sun today...

http://www.vancouversun.com/technolo...958/story.html

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Biologists seek clues to B.C. moose deaths

Interesting read. Is "unregulated hunting" the same as poaching?
    "Dave's a killer"

"Good? Bad? I'm the one with the gun!"

Could be yes, could be no, as it depends on who the hunters were, and who's perspective it is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanrahan View Post
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Cool project. Not surprised at the results though.

Only if your white.

It pissed me right off. What is "unregulated hunting". Should use proper vocabulary.
    Now every dumbass is going to say we therefore need more regulations.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

yup, pissed me off too...
    the none hunter, most of LM's, will now take that as us, the ethical hunter, killing off all the Moose.
    And if it was a whitey problem, it would have been stated as a Poaching problem.
    But "Unregulated Hunting", is just someone in the government, spinning the term from Native to Unregulated!
    We are really starting to get shafted by our politicians, and there is no end in site!
    And sadly, wildlife is just as much the loser in all this, as we the resident hunter.
    Moose populations are dropping, and due to political correctness, everyone is making circles around the real problem.
    Yes, great, we the taxpayer are paying for all these studies, but in the end, the wrong fix will be implemented to correct it.
    More closures on the way I suspect, and meanwhile the problem will continue to operate behind these closures, and due to that,
    Moose will still continue to get s*** kicked.
    Sad and Infuriating, at least for me.

In the small sample so far, wolves are 300% more a factor in moose predation than unregulated hunting.

Have those who are vocal on the unregulated hunting factor contacted their MLA with 300% more vigour about initiating some wolf control?
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Wolves have been killing moose for thousands of years. It's a cycle. Too many wolves and the moose population drops, wolves starve and get diseases, birth rates fall and the moose population rebounds. I don't buy into the wolf control argument.
    I was more just curious what "unregulated hunting" means. If it's poaching, call it poaching. If it's legally shot by natives, say that. I didn't know we had unregulated hunting. It's not illegal to shoot a moose with a collar, though I wouldn't.
    "Dave's a killer"

"Good? Bad? I'm the one with the gun!"

Wolves have been killing moose for thousands of years. It's a cycle. Too many wolves and the moose population drops, wolves starve and get diseases, birth rates fall and the moose population rebounds. I don't buy into the wolf control argument.
    I was more just curious what "unregulated hunting" means. If it's poaching, call it poaching. If it's legally shot by natives, say that. I didn't know we had unregulated hunting. It's not illegal to shoot a moose with a collar, though I wouldn't.
    Wolves have not, however, been around moose for thousands of years with the habitat altered by pine beetle logging. That's the difference. And wolf populations are not dropping due to the alternate prey species like rapidly-expanding whitetailed deer in new habitats.

Unregulated hunting is exactly what it says, hunting without regulations. To have a poacher, you'd need regulations to be broken.

Finally, you missed the important part in the article which says it is imperative that if you're hunting cow moose to shoot a cow with or without these collars. That data will help the bios determine all causes of death.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !