Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: how do u guys finish off a wounded deer

Re: how do u guys finish off a wounded deer

A guy I know grabbed a buck he had shot by the antler, he presumed it was dead. The Buck stood up and started to thrash his antlers to wards buddy's face. He pulled his knife while still holding the deer's antler with one hand, just then it bucked knocking the knife from his hand. The thought in his head was" What the F**K do I do now? Just then he remembered he had a small pocket knife, he pulled the knife and slit the animals throat. It died shortly there after. I think the moral of the story is " Two knives are better than one" or " A deer in the hand can still kick your ass!"
    Last edited by Lozzie; 08-02-2012 at 05:29 PM.
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon

If you get a clean shot to the chest shoot him again. If he lets you get close enough he is nearly done as it is, but a well placed arrow will finish him off quickly.
    Don't ever forget that you just may wind up being wrong!! -- Jimmy Buffet

nunchuks
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Now if you were using a .223 this would never happen.
    I'll be home before winter. It's too cold to sleep out.

nice to hear an honest response. good on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Valid question, and it has happened to me twice. Both times becuase my shots were nothing that I am proud of. The first was on my first ever archery deer. A little blacktail spike buck . I knew my shot was too far back, maybe liver gut. We waited over 4 hours before following up, and it was still alive. I shot it again. My second was a young elk that dropped hard on the shot an I spined it. It went down on the spot like it was shot wih a rifle. I waited what I thought was an appropriate amount of time, better then 30 minutes to return and see it lying there alive. A shot it again. Both second shots dispatched the animals quickly and both instances were from early archery season mid day-early afternoon where the temps were quite high

targ shoot with your bow more or dont take as far of shots so that you will get a kill shot.....

If you spine a deer you will need to finish it and another arrow can do the job.

A little off on your yardage or a deer trying to duck your arrow and you have a spine hit it can happen even at close range to anyone. I don't care how well you shoot foam animals can move.

Always one shot instant kills, have taken advice from all the self proclaimed super marksman on this site. Thank all of you for your uncanny insight into ballistics, angle of shot, moisture content of air and windage. A great help when I am winded heart pumping and full of buck fever, but most of all wearing the correct underwear

Cheers BIGSLIM
    Courage is being scared to death
    But saddling up anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 91Jason91 View Post
    targ shoot with your bow more or dont take as far of shots so that you will get a kill shot.....
    Its stupid answers like this that reck this site.

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Yeah, I went Bow-hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg. Had to kill it with a shovel. Took about an hour. Why do you ask?
    what,,,, why did you not shot it again with the bow,, hummmm...makes one wounder, you carry a shovel while bow hunting,,,