Thread: HBC Members Thoughts on 7mm-08 Capabilty

Threaded View

HBC Members Thoughts on 7mm-08 Capabilty

Hello,

Even though I have researched this online I thought I would post a few questions on this forum since there is a lot of knowledgeable and experienced people on this site.

I am buying a new Savage XP Hunter 7mm - 08 from my brother that got the rifle for a great price at the Nanaimo Wholesale Sports Auction. The rifle has been bore sighted but I need to sight in the scope. Hopefully I'll get that done in the next month. I havent shot it yet.

If I had my way I would of bought a 30-06 or 270 but I have chronic pain and the recoil would be to much. I don't want to go the muzzle brake route so that is why I settled on the 7mm-08.

I'm new to hunting and have only gone out twice. Success both times. What a rush.

We will be going to the Kootenays again this fall for our deer/elk hunt. I know the 7mm-08 is a good deer calibre and have read that it will take Elk down no problem in the right situation. Currently I'm not interested in taking long shots. Approx 150 yards and less is good enough for me.

I know this is pretty general question but is this calibre in your opinions good enough for Elk or even feral pigs? I currently have a box of 139 grains bullets.

Thx
    Last edited by 4x4; 07-22-2017 at 11:56 AM.

2. Site Sponsor