Thread: Mulw deer population????

Threaded View

Re: Mulw deer population????

Combination of all the above I think: Competition from WTD, elk also have a lot of forage overlap with mule deer and we've got lots of elk. Lots of predators, high predator populations driven by high WTD and elk populations (mule deer are more vulnerable to predation). Recovery from the 96/97 die-off did not bring them back to previous pre-96 levels - that might be habitat related since pre-96 levels were probably above habitat carrying capacity. I really don't think the youth season or the any buck season has a lot to do with it, hasn't been around long enough and the slow recovery has been evident well before those came on line. Besides shooting bucks might lower the buck/doe ratio but it shouldn't cause a population decline because it does not effect reproduction. I'm thinking competition with other ungulates and predators are the main reasons. I also think hunting is more difficult and game is simply harder to find when predator populations are high, they're spooked and sticking to the thick stuff. Also I don't really think there was enough snow to push them down out of the mid-elevations (until this morning) so some people may be looking in the wrong places. I am reluctant to admit there's an actual crisis situation just yet, hope I'm right.
    Last edited by 6616; 11-17-2011 at 12:44 PM.