Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Junior's First Buck

Junior's First Buck

My son and I had been out two previous weekends trying to find him his first buck. The first was up at his grandparents house outside of Vernon. We had scouted out a nice 3X4 in August but couldn't find him when it counted. The second was up out of Merrit. I had scouted this area too, finding a handful of young bucks, unfortunately a logging company had moved in cutting off the road to this spot. We did find another road to hunt where he almost succeeded in filling his tag. It was so close, and he experienced his first dose of buck fever.

Last week the cold bug hit out household. Spud was just getting over it, and Thursday it hit me hard. It was not looking good, but there was a hint of pressure being that it was the last weekend before any buck opened up, and with that came the crowds. I woke up Friday feeling much better, and Spud was as well. We decided to head out early Saturday for an over nighter.

We were rolling into the spot a little late, and I had wanted to be up top for first light. Before it got too bright out we pulled over and suited up just in case we spotted something on the way in. I figured there was a good chance of that as I had noted some good sign in the area on my previous trip.

Taking our time on the rough little road I told Spud to keep his eyes peeled, and it wasn't too far along when I spotted the tell tale backside of a single Mulie. A quick look through the binos confirmed it was a buck. "Yep, it's a buck". He gave me a funny look, and I don't think he believed me for it was not five minutes prior he was talking how it would be awesome if he got something quick, and were home even before mom was out of bed.

I gave him the binos to have a look while I ranged him but, he was having a hard time finding him through the rainy windshield. Once he found him, I told him it was 200 yards. With all the practicing he had done I said, "piece of cake for you bud". I could tell the nerves were on edge and asked if he wanted me to get closer. He nodded his head in agreement.

We rolled up a little further, and as we did a second backside appeared. Now we were sitting at 150, with a confirmed two bucks on the hillside. Looked to be a set of twins, one watching us, the other contently feeding. I knew we had some time. With a big smile I said, "It's now or never. Get out, set up the bipod, load up, and wait for one of them to turn broadside."

The buck that was eating was quartering away left with one lonely pine branch covering a good portion of the vitals, the other watching was straight away with its head turned all the way around watching. Not too long after the first buck we spotted made a move up and over to the right giving Spud the shot. "There it is, aim right for the dark crease behind his shoulder" I said out the open truck door. He was slightly quartering away with his head back watching which gave the fur a dark crease. I waited.....

Spud took a breather to calm his nerves, and not long after he took the shot. Watching through the binos I saw the buck kick, and take off. I knew he was hit but, I was unsure of the placement. 30, maybe 40 yards and the buck started to slow, stagger, and tipped over down into the brush below. "You got him bud, you got him...".

I got out, went around to the other side to offer my congratulations, a hand shake, and help to get back into the truck. There he was, wide eyed with a nervous look on his face, and me with a smile a thousand dead kittens couldn't crack.

We were able to pull the truck up quite close to the buck. We got our stuff together, and I had Spud lead the way. As I followed I told him to be ready just in case the buck was not dead, and be careful because it was wet and slippery. There was no point in rushing. It wasn't long and I could see the white of its rump, and had to drop a hint for him to see it as well.

It was the perfect scenario. I had plenty of time to show him the ropes, and get his hands bloody, or at least try to. With his hands getting cold, I convinced him to slide one into the cavity in between the fur, and belly liner. It surprised him how warm it was, and I told him "It won't be long and you're going to love that feeling". He had made a perfect shot, in the lungs on the one side, out the shoulder on the other. We finished up, and headed for home. On the way Spud says to me, "Dad, you know how much I felt it kick?". I shook my head as he taps me ever so slightly on the shoulder. Man did I laugh.

The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Junior's First Buck

Awesome ! way to go dude.
    Midnight toker

Awesome story! Congrats!

Congrats Spud and proud Daddy !!!!! Some good eating right there

Awesome stuff right here!! Congrats spud!! And dad!!

Great job dad! Can't wait for my kids to be able to pull the trigger

Those smiles tell the same tale each time I see them. I says "I hooked" Congrats team.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

That's awesome!

Can't wait to share the experience with my girls some day.

Nice work! Hard to beat that smile...

Congrats to to you and your son.
    Live to Hunt...

Absolutely Fantastic Thread!
    Atta boy Spud!
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”