Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 30 06 vs 300 mag...

Northern BC, wherever gas in the truck will move me

Re: 30 06 vs 300 mag...

Hey there doddatto!

Add my vote to the 30.06, or even the .308win (same bullet, similar ballistics in factory ammo, and less powder burning = less mass in hot gas pushing back).

First of all, if you're on a budget, I'd humbly suggest investing more in glass than the more expensive ammo option. Scope clarity or light transmission (and even once, confidence in it keeping straight) has restricted my hunting opportunity far more than cartridge ballistics.

To be brutally honest, even though the 300wm has the "coolness" factor, in real practical terms, my findings are that the blatant majority of 300wm owners don't actually use it to its capacity. If I were starting out, I'd rather see the extra money go to more ammo.

Count me for example. I've made clean kills with .300wm, 300wsm, 30.06, .338wm, and .375h&H, but never once at a range where I couldn't have without the 30.06.

Yes, I can bench a rifle, calculate drop, and make holes in paper really well really far away. As a hunter, however, caked in mud, leaning against a tree early morning, late at night, in the rain or in -30c, shaking with excitement for finding the one that I want to shoot, making estimated guesses for how far away the animal is, etc...you really have to learn what your ethical shooting range is as applied to your situation. I don't care how many times you've shot while benched at the range -> you NEED to develop your practical shootings skills before hand - lying down, sitting, leaning, etc.

The 30.06, with proper loads and a well constructed bullet, has the energy at 500yards to flop over a deer or black bear with proper shot placement. Last part there is the part that counts.

Something else to consider. Even if you have a clean shot at 300 yards, where nobody would argue as outside the range of a 30.06, a follow up shot is that much harder. In the case that, heaven forbid, you gut shoot an animal, how comfortable are you with your tracking skills? 300 yards away gives the animal a lot of direction to go where you won't be able to see. "That Tree" that you used as a reference point for finding the blood trail sure looks similar to every other tree 300 yards closer (and I'm a registered professional forester with extensive tree mensuration and surveying experience)

I apologise if I'm coming off harsh or as a hunting ethics snob. I just hear way too many stories from newer hunters who took their big magnums, haven't practiced shooting as much as they should have, and "missed" when they took a shot they clearly shouldn't have. Keep in mind that if you're aiming for something the size of a baskeball and miss, then unless you majorly flinched, chances are you're hitting something bull sized where it ran off to bleed.
    Last edited by Dukeoflawnchair; 02-16-2013 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeoflawnchair View Post
    Hey there doddatto!

Add my vote to the 30.06, or even the .308win (same bullet, similar ballistics in factory ammo, and less powder burning = less mass in hot gas pushing back).

First of all, if you're on a budget, I'd humbly suggest investing more in glass than the more expensive ammo option. Scope clarity or light transmission (and even once, confidence in it keeping straight) has restricted my hunting opportunity far more than cartridge ballistics.

To be brutally honest, even though the 300wm has the "coolness" factor, in real practical terms, my findings are that the blatant majority of 300wm owners don't actually use it to its capacity. If I were starting out, I'd rather see the extra money go to more ammo.

Count me for example. I've made clean kills with .300wm, 300wsm, 30.06, .338wm, and .375h&H, but never once at a range where I couldn't have without the 30.06.

Yes, I can bench a rifle, calculate drop, and make holes in paper really well really far away. As a hunter, however, caked in mud, leaning against a tree early morning, late at night, in the rain or in -30c, shaking with excitement for finding the one that I want to shoot, making estimated guesses for how far away the animal is, etc...you really have to learn what your ethical shooting range is as applied to your situation. I don't care how many times you've shot while benched at the range -> you NEED to develop your practical shootings skills before hand - lying down, sitting, leaning, etc.

The 30.06, with proper loads and a well constructed bullet, has the energy at 500yards to flop over a deer or black bear with proper shot placement. Last part there is the part that counts.

Something else to consider. Even if you have a clean shot at 300 yards, where nobody would argue as outside the range of a 30.06, a follow up shot is that much harder. In the case that, heaven forbid, you gut shoot an animal, how comfortable are you with your tracking skills? 300 yards away gives the animal a lot of direction to go where you won't be able to see. "That Tree" that you used as a reference point for finding the blood trail sure looks similar to every other tree 300 yards closer (and I'm a registered professional forester with extensive tree mensuration and surveying experience)

I apologise if I'm coming off harsh or as a hunting ethics snob. I just hear way too many stories from newer hunters who took their big magnums, haven't practiced shooting as much as they should have, and "missed" when they took a shot they clearly shouldn't have. Keep in mind that if you're aiming for something the size of a baskeball and miss, then unless you majorly flinched, chances are you're hitting something bull sized where it ran off to bleed.
    Just to add, a friend of mine has a 308 Norma (similar to most all 300mags). He was having trouble with rifle fit and recoil equating to poor shots/misses on game. I started loading 180gr X bullets at just over 2700fps for him. He sure likes them X bullets as well as the rifle its in now.
    Basically I gave him a 30-06 and he has noted zero differance on game performance other than shots are more accurate. The Norma still is #1 in his book, I never told the difference.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeoflawnchair View Post
    Hey there doddatto!

No your not coming off as harsh i appreciate the advice, i will be practicing my shooting skills before i do any hunting a 300 is too much for me, and i understand this, id hate to develop a flinch 270 or 30 06. is what i tend on buying i want to be able to but 200 rounds down range before i line up a shot on game, i dont want to see any animal suffer this is for sure. So we will see. cant wait too put a pic up here of my first kill

200 rounds is a good starter goal. It'll roughly get you 10 range sessions if you blow through a box a session (which is realistic if you let your barrel cool down between strings). Which is about once a week in summer leading up to September. I roughly did the same thing in the first few years when I first started and I learned a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by doddatto View Post
    Its more for protection if a bear charges at me, idk if i need it im a noob i just want to hunt safe

I've hunted in Ontario and BC for a combined ~30 years. Never had to defend myself against a bear. 99% of hunters probably have the same story, so i wouldn't sweat it. But the bottom line is , if you're gonna carry a shotgn for hunting, and you want it "Tacti-Cool", then it's your choice and your money.
    Welcome to the great outdoors! I hope you do well.

My vote would also go to the 30-06. I started with a 30-06 and would still be shooting it now(30 years later) if my younger brother hadn't sold it on me when I was travelling. I now shoot a 270win(I refer to it as a 30-06 improved) more speed, flatter trajectory with the same weight bullet. If you put the bullet where it counts the deer, elk, moose, bear (not counting grizzly or bison) most likely won't know the difference. There is nothing wrong with the 300wm if you can shoot it well, I've seen too many guys at various ranges shooting big magnums poorly. They are scared of their rifle and don't practise enough, a magnum won't make up for poor shot placement in most cases. As far as 'bear protection' goes I wouldn't let it worry you too much. Bear spray has been shown to be a more effective option in bear encounters, of which there are very, very few. If you are really worried about a bear attack just be sure you hunt with someone older and slower than you. You can't outrun a bear but you can outrun your partner. Ha Ha! Good luck out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jtred View Post
    My vote would also go to the 30-06. I started with a 30-06 and would still be shooting it now(30 years later) if my younger brother hadn't sold it on me when I was travelling. I now shoot a 270win(I refer to it as a 30-06 improved) more speed, flatter trajectory with the same weight bullet. If you put the bullet where it counts the deer, elk, moose, bear (not counting grizzly or bison) most likely won't know the difference. There is nothing wrong with the 300wm if you can shoot it well, I've seen too many guys at various ranges shooting big magnums poorly. They are scared of their rifle and don't practise enough, a magnum won't make up for poor shot placement in most cases. As far as 'bear protection' goes I wouldn't let it worry you too much. Bear spray has been shown to be a more effective option in bear encounters, of which there are very, very few. If you are really worried about a bear attack just be sure you hunt with someone older and slower than you. You can't outrun a bear but you can outrun your partner. Ha Ha! Good luck out there.
    lol ill be sure too do that, any of you old timers wana go bear hunting with me this spring JK, Im looking at a place, which im willing to share, its off dewdney trunk road by stealhead if you look to the east u will see two montains with a valley with north facing slop and a south facing slop with nice clearing has anyone been here???//??? or what do u guys think

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by r106 View Post
    For a new shooter I would look at 3 things. 1 - low recoil. 2 - ammo availability. 3- ammo cost. I would stay away from the magnums until you learn to shoot and handle recoil. My suggestions would be 270, 7mm-08, 308, 30-06
    This here is very sound advice,nothing wrong with any of these calibers and are quite common,options on rifles and and ammo will be readily available.
    Only thing I would add is use quality ammo loaded with better bullets,and buy the best scope possible so your only buying once.
    WF
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    This here is very sound advice,nothing wrong with any of these calibers and are quite common,options on rifles and and ammo will be readily available.
    Only thing I would add is use quality ammo loaded with better bullets,and buy the best scope possible so your only buying once.
    WF

Yea 06. it is and 22. for smaller game i doubt ill get a shot gun as its not really needed ill just get bear spray i love this community thank for all the advice

If you would like to try the two side by side to see what you think. I have both calibers and can offer to invite you along the next time I go to the range. You could try both calibers. Im in Poco as well but the range I belong to is out in the valley. PM me if you interested