Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf and Coyote Database: Mainland BC

Wolf Database: Mainland BC

EDIT: After a bit of a slow start, this idea is picking up momentum and, more importantly, good input. Thx to all that help/contribute in various ways! Chris

People often ask how to hunt Wolves in BC or, more likely, complain that something must be done by someone somehow, but are short on solutions, and long on complaints.
    Although hunting is not historically the most effective tool to reduce Wolf populations, it IS a tool, and it's within our reach.
    Trapping is more effective and it is ALSO a tool, and it is within our reach to get a trapper's license and get out there.

So this thread is for CONFIRMED Wolf sightings in Mainland BC,

Please post only if you know exactly what you saw, when , where, and how many.

The idea behind this is if someone has the time and inclination to target dogs, I would like to make it as easy as possible for them.

How to: Get your trapping license and how totrap. (PG66 has some excellent threads on this, I'd like to boil that down if I could)
    Calibres and cartridges.
    Calls, scents and lures.
    Ranches that may allow pred hunters, or how to ask nicely
    Sightings and poplation densities (i.e. "Where can I go to hunt canines?")

If possible, myself and two other members will compile the info into a Google Earth database (And possible phone app with GPS) that can be accessed by any who contribute to the cause. I will also try to solicit prizes for a raffle for any that kill Wolves and Coyotes (Pending approval by Admin)

I wanna make it easy for anyone here that wants to target predators in BC.
    Who's in?

Let 'Er R.I.P.
    Last edited by The Dude; 02-12-2013 at 09:42 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wolf and Coyote Database: Mainland BC

I like the idea 'Dude'.......
    I hunt dogs every year. Last year 4, not many I know but time was limited, but it helps, so I try and do my part to thin the numbers a bit .........have never shot a wolf but lost count of harvested yote's years ago...........
    I'll be around Idabel / Maccoulough / Grayback Lk area looking for wolves very soon

*** wolf shot and killed recently in Rock Creek ( not by me but I did see the carcass and it bigger than my buddys maremma)**
    as for calls and gear, I use the Primos Power Dogg, a Montana yote decoy, Western Rivers electronic rabbit decoy, ground blind, coffee,Baileys and my Browning .243 = happy.........happy happy
    Last edited by Ruger4; 10-27-2012 at 04:58 AM.

Rock Creek? Wow. Only Wolf I have seen in BC was waaaay up the Hill on Baldy, going about 70 kph

Bait 150 yards from the kitchen window once the bears go to bed. Any gun that is handy. Lost count a long time ago.

Dude if you want more trappers out there the biggest problem is access to inactive traplines. There is a huge number of traplines sitting in limbo because the govt has not been doing there job of auctioning off inactive lines. The BCTA is working on this but the progress is slow because of how disorganized the govt officials in this sector are when it comes to trapping. Most MOE's don't even know what they can and cannot do when it comes to trapping

There are already a lot of guys licensed to trap that can't find lines to buy. More licensed trappers with no where to trap does not help much. There is a good number that have taken the course but have given up because of not having anywhere to trap. I had to put on one hell of a search between 3 regions after 4 years and a lot of phone calls I found one. Most will not put in the effort I did

If you want trappers out there let the MOE know you want trappers out there because the more support the BCTA gets with the issue the better

Till this problem is solved there is not a lot trappers can do when comes to wolves

Good input Wild One, how do we solve this?
    MLA involvement, call the Bio's, emails to whom?
    Let's go guys.

Dude,
    very sweet post, Im in the squamish area and im given'r trying to get as many yotes as i can. there is a seasons for wolf here but i dont know any real good areas, havent seen any wolf tracks or scrat, plently of yote though.

Im running a .22-250 pushing 55gr hornady Vmax (the best of the best for predator hunting.)

Calls i got the Primos lil dog, more of a yote call but mostly what im doing
    I also picked up this stuff called coyote juice from wholesale, it was like 13 bucks so i figured id try it. (havent yet but will today or tomorrow)

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Good input Wild One, how do we solve this?
    MLA involvement, call the Bio's, emails to whom?
    Let's go guys.
    Contacting MLA and MOE is always a good thing because the more they are harassed the higher priority this problem gets.

Reachout, I've seen a LOT of wolf tracks up north of the Chief, on the Indian River access road. Haven't have crosshairs on fur yet though.

i see coyotes everywhere i go.
    a group of six the other day.

every year i say i'm going to start killing them when i see them.
    then when i see them, i'm chasing deer, so no shooting.