Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dogs with Allergies

Re: Dogs with Allergies

Not sure I agree about the meat having to be fresh. When it comes to dogs, the stinkier the better. Caught our dog eating cat shit once! He dragged a frozen horse turd in the other day to chew on. Needless to say ours is not a household that lets the dog lick your face. We feed Iams but I think he finds it boring so we flavor it with a small amount of leftovers etc. Everytime we open a can of tuna of salmon, we drain the can and save it to put over his food.

My Griff has allergies that affect his ears and after numerous trips to the vet, we had the lab do bloodwork to find out exactly what he was allergic to.
    Turns out, some of the ingredients in the allergy specific treats and dog food I was buying at the vet, had ingredients that he was allergic to. I have put him on duck and potato food and treats and he hasn't had a problem in months.

However, some of the things he is allergic to are plants found locally and other than regular shots, there is pretty well no way to avoid them if you have an active dog.

The bloodwork and shots are pricy, but if you are going to keep the dog and treat it continuously, it actually works out much cheaper in the long run to find out exactly what the problem is.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude
    Have any of you had to deal with dogs with allergies? Mine breaks out with a rash on his belly. I haven't been able to isolate what it is...I'm feeding him $70/bag allergen free Prescription Diet dog food from the vet, no other treats or food of any kind. I've also locked him out of the bedrooms where there is carpet. He doesn't have fleas or ticks. He still breaks out.

I have to keep putting him on Vanectyl tablets to combat the rash, but they aren't the answer long term. What is your dog allergic to?
    My dog isn't allergic to anything.

My advice: Quit bringing randoms home from North of 49!

Years of that and penicilin has left you immune, but not your POOR DOG!
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    However, some of the things he is allergic to are plants found locally and other than regular shots, there is pretty well no way to avoid them if you have an active dog.
    You can actually give Benedryl to dogs with air borne (and other allergic reactions)

It's a SPECIFIC type of Benedryl tho.....some forms of Benedryl are dangerous to give pets because they contain different ingredients. Vets can let you know which type and what dosage to give. I keep some on hand at all times for bee bites (me and the fur-kids)
    Beverly

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

I feed my hounds the raw or barf diet. It has worked exellent for the dogs. They don't care about how the meat smells that is for sure.
    If you're going to find tracks you better make tracks!

Update on my dog's allergies: CURED!

I tried the expensive prescription foods, and that didn't work. I tried keeping him in different environments, and that didn't work. On the advice of a dog trainer friend, I switched him to Nutro Ultra Holistic food. That worked! He gets a bit of wild meat (he doesn't care about freezer burn on old burger ), and his belly and ears have cleared right up. No milk bones...I gave him one and he got 3 spots on his belly the next day, so I think it's a preservative (BHA, BHT) that he's allergic to. He's been on this food for 2 months and is allergy free!

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. My hound says thanks too!

Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

My chesapeake was allergic to his nylon collar. He got a rash aroung his neck and down onto his chest. Changed him to a leather collar and it all cleared up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude
    Update on my dog's allergies: CURED!

I switched him to Nutro Ultra Holistic food.
    Good to hear! I did want to mention tho that Nutro is listed on the list of recalled dog food!!!! I think it is just canned / pouches but you should check to be safe
    Beverly

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    Good to hear! I did want to mention tho that Nutro is listed on the list of recalled dog food!!!! I think it is just canned / pouches but you should check to be safe
    Yes, it is just the "chunks in gravy" type of slop that is part of the recall. All he gets from Nutro is dry.

Here's the link to the recalled brands, which includes many of the store names (President's Choice, etc):

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

first time our pooch had a reaction we figured spider bite, she had bumps all over and had trouble breathing. we had to get some antihistimines into her to help her out. happened a few more times till we figured it was the milk bones causing the problems.