Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: $1000 to spend on gear...whats important?

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: $1000 to spend on gear...whats important?

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who took the time to offer their advice!
    Fella your Welcome,great thing about HBC is there are tons of very experienced and knowledgeable people at your disposal.
    WF
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Great list bigboar! Thanks for the info

Most people that spend any time outdoors have clothing that will work. Used rifle will work fine. Good binoculars are important. I'd spend half the money on good binos, the rest will come. You can scavenge lots of good outdoor gear for cheap used. Lots of MEC types put hunters to shame when it comes to thier gear junkyism.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Allen50 is a wise man, indeed.

If you have a gun combo, then get binos, and even a lightweight tripod. (More alpine-y stuff, for steadying binos)

If you don't have a gun, buy a Husqvarna 6.5x55 or 30-06 or similar, and put a Vortex or mid-range Leupold on it.
    Learn how to shoot it. Buy good bullets.

With the money you save, take her out for a nice romantic dinner and tell her what a keeper she is!

Good used gun like other have suggested. Can either come with or you can find a good used scope. Check out here, ABoutdoorsmen or Canadian Gunnutz for this stuff.

Buy a good set of bino's, but don't break the bank. Redfield are good bino's for the price (have a set for work, stand up to the rain and even been in the ocean, still pretty clear for the $$) Vortex also have good bino's for the $$. You can always up grade if you get the bug or feel the need.

Spend the $$ and buy a Stanfields grey wool top and a pair of x army green or grey wool pants. Will cost you around $150 total. Will be nice when the LM rains come, plus will keep you warm.

Buy a backpack to carry your extra stuff, like water, food, a small FA kit and compass/maps. Cheap ones at Walmart/CT will work until you can upgrade if need be.

Boots can be what ever is comfortable for you, as long as they give you some ankle support and are leather so you can waterproof them.

Toque and hat for the head, gloves for the cold mornings

Knife and sharpener. Buy a good one that will hold an edge and is not too big. Forget the Bowie style with an 8-10" blade, get some thing with a drop point and a 4-5" blade. Learn how to gut and debone an animal, Youtube and other sites have tons of info. So does this place.

The money you have left over, take the wife for dinner or the spa, she will them allow you to upgrade and buy other stuff that you will not nessassarily need but will want......

have fun

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

If you want I have a used Remington Walmart jacket and a camo shirt I would be willing to let go for a case of beer. Cheap cariboo 20 pack would work. I'm in Langley. Pm if interested.
    Costco has merino wool socks 4 for $12. Pretty good socks.
    One of my favorite cheap pieces of gear I have is a fleece neck warmer. Cost me $10.
    pull it up over your mouth and nose and really helps me keep warm and. Dry easy to shed and throw in my pocket.
    Wholesale has a ton of cheaper gloves right now $10-$40.
    good luck man!

The best used binos you can find.
    Finding the game is the hard part. The rest is easy.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

For you
    Get a Stanfield wool shirt. A havalon knife. Fenix flashlight. Cheap headlamp. Good binos.

For her
    Something LuluLemon or a Spa pass.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Binoculars 10*40, 500.** should get you a decent pair.

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Optics are number one.