Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $ 9000.- Bison hunt

$ 9000.- Bison hunt

August 23, 2011
    Ryan Lux Staff Writer
    A business deal gone sour between Blueberry First Nations and a Pink Mountain guide and outfitting company is likely to land the two parties in civil court sometime in the New Year.
    The Blueberry First Nations have filed suit against Mountain View Paradise Outfitters' owners and operators Dean, Katie and Dustin Roe, for the return of a guiding certificate, which licenses the right to guide around Pink Mountain, worth more than $800,000.
    It's important to note that the dispute is on the facts, rather than questions of law, and as of print time no representative of MVP Outfitters has responded to inquiries from the Alaska Highway News. Therefore, the following outline of the case is that of the Blueberry First Nation and their legal counsel.
    Blueberry bought the certificate in 1999, and in 2006 the First Nation retained Dustin Roe to hold the certificate on their behalf and operate the license. But, following a tumultuous five-year business relationship, the First Nation decided to terminate the unwritten contract.
    However, the Roes refuse to relinquish the valuable certificate, which gives the holder exclusive control over guide outfitting in its territory.
    "We are frustrated that outsiders are challenging our community's right to an important economic development initiative in our territory" said Blueberry River First Nations Chief Joseph Apsassin. "We purchased the guiding certificate with the understanding that it would benefit our people. We won't let Mr. Roe and MVP Outfitters deprive our people, or use our territory without our permission and over our objections. We have brought a claim in the Supreme Court of British Columbia to enforce our legal rights."
    Blueberry's lawyer, Melinda Skeels explained her client's position is that the contract was to be renewed on a yearly basis, whereas the Roes considered the agreement to extend for the duration of the ten-year license.
    But as Skeels noted, trouble began to emerge within the first year of the business relationship. According to Skeels, the Roe's paid Blueberry less than $10,000 in the first year of holding the certificate. The Blueberry's statement of claim alleges the agreement between MVP was for the company to pay the First Nation 20 per cent of all monies collected from harvesting species with a harvesting quota, minus booking agent fees.
    MVP's web site lists the price of a grizzly hunt for $15,000, plains bison for $9,000, and the price for a stone sheep hunt isn't listed.
    According to the Blueberry statement of claim:
    In 2007, the First Nation argues the Roe's didn't make any payments, which prompted them to renegotiated their agreement.
    In 2008, Skeels contends, Blueberry renegotiated the contract so that they would receive 50 per cent of MVP profits on the three listed species, in addition, MVP was to provide Blueberry with a full accounting of revenues and expenses relating to the operation of the territory.
    MVP allegedly asserted they had a net loss on their operations during the 2008 hunting season and therefore didn't pay any monies to Blueberry under the 2008 agreement.
    Following the 2009 hunting season, which was governed by an agreement similar to 2008, Blueberry didn't enter into any further agreement with the Roes.
    Accordingly the First Nation asked MVP to transfer back the certificate via letter in April 2010, which the Roe's didn't respond to.
    When the Roe's did respond, they argued they were entitled to a six-month termination clause. The statement of facts notes that part of Blueberry's decision to regain control of their license stems from a legislative change in 2009 that made it possible for the First Nation to operate their certificate without a guide outfitter license.
    Thus, in June of last year, Blueberry Councillor Patrick Chipesia, submitted an application to the Ministry of Environment to transfer the certificate into his name. However, the ministry has refused to transfer the certificate to Blueberry.
    Skeels speculated that court proceedings could be initiated as early as January 2012. Follow up and/or commentary supporting MVP's position will be provided as it becomes available.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: $ 9000.- Bison hunt

And the point is?
    This was reported before and is old news. We are now well into July 2012 and there is no further outcome to the court proceedings?
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

2011...... Old news, same with Ktunaxa, now on to Assiniboine..... Fewer ppl to hand out high country tuneups at least
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

My point is that $ 9000.- is to cheap for a non resident Bison hunt

Quote Originally Posted by snowhunter View Post
    My point is that $ 9000.- is to cheap for a non resident Bison hunt
    I think its pretty damn good pricing if a guy can get that much for a hunt. There are hunts in Alberta that sell for $5000-8500 for some very good northern hunts.

I'd say $9K for a bison hunt is priced pretty darn good and high when compared to other hunts...
    Last edited by Rackmastr; 07-22-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Yukon is I think $10,000 if I remember right. But also if I remember correct they told me they dont sell many hunts there as the Americans can not take Buffalo trophies back to the states or something to that effect.
    So if thats the same with BC selling hunts for higher prices wouldnt sell due to that fact.
    SG
    I hunt sheep to see over the next mountain, not to measure the next trophy.

Any word on the court outcome?
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

There were several court proceedings. All won by MVP. The last, won by MVP, the representatives of the band advised MVP that they had a resevoir of 30 million dollars and would keep heading back to court until MVP was broke.
    What would you do?
    Your tax dollars hard at work..

Reservoir of 30 million dollars?
    Just goes to sow how hard work and dedication pays off.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Reservoir of 30 million dollars?
    Just goes to sow how hard work and dedication pays off.

The blueberry band along with the doig river band won a court case several years ago with the provincial government over oil and gas royalties and were awarded around $600 million.
    Resident hunter and proud of it!