Thread: Need some Help

Need some Help

I live in Blind Bay just outside of Salmon Arm.I have a 5 year old Golden/Shar pei cross he is a good dog in the house get him outside it goes to hell.He will obey in the house give him a bone and tell him to leave it he will not touch it until I say OK,no matter how long I make him wait.He will sit ,wait,lay down and go to bed,but if he gets out the door off the leash he's gone and he will not obey.Can anyone point me in the right direction in correcting this problem or of a trainer that maybe able to help ? thankyou Rod

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Need some Help

Maybe an ecollar to get his attention. But it sounds like back to basic training with a long lead. pls do not run out and get an ecollar on this advise lol

Look up "Long lead training"
    It's a start. I have a wolf cross, and when he was younger, he understood exactly where you COULD catch him, and where you COULDN'T.
    You have to extend your reach.

I've said it before and I will again E collars CAN do more harm than good unless you really know how to use them. My advice would be to retrain everything outside that works inside start like the dog was a pup from the ground up. It worked inside now you need to transfer the location. The dog needs to learn it makes no diffrence wether you ar in side, in the yard on the street when a command is given its ment/ tollerate a 3 command dog and you will have a 3 command dog and that applies to every where.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

if everything's great in the house, go back to square one and start to re-train in the yard, then an empty parking lot, then an empty park. etc.
    keep the locations as boring as possible to start, and gradually increase the visual/scent stimulation. every time you go to a new location, start back at basics.

Thanks guys I will start at square one with him hopefully that works ! but I will also look into the other methods.

Using a shock collar now would be about the worst thing that you could do........

YOU know what you want your dog to do, but does it TRUELY KNOW what you want?? I doubt it, or it would be trying to please you by obeying.

It's back to page one, grade one. Pick a training method and stick with it. Consistency and repitition IS key.

It's good to remember that dogs don't generalize well.
    Basically, what you teach him in the house doesn't transfer automatically to the yard, woods, vet's office etc.

The solution is to train in a variety of locations on a regular basis, with increasing amounts of distraction.