Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Goats-Crampons and Grappling Hooks

Winter Goats-Crampons and Grappling Hooks

Just got back from Terrace with a sore body and a clipped goat tag.....
    My buddy Jordan, my Uncle Walter and myself went on an epic goat hunting adventure....here is our tale.

Day 1- Day 1 was crisp and blue, not a real common occurrance in Terrace...which brought us promise to a good day. By about 10 am, the goats were out and about enjoying the uncommon sunshine. It didn't take long to spot a bunch with 2 promising Billies of which we decided to take a go at.
    The Plan was to signal Walter below with a flashlight and he would help guide our way to our quarry. We climbed up using crampons and signalled Walter as we went...the plan was working great. Unfortunately, Walter lost track of us and in our impatience, we blew past the goats ( within 50m ) and proceeded to go about twice as high as required....that's hunting I suppose.

Day 2: Day 2 was also stellar weather so we decided to check out a main river valley on our sleds but an impossible crossing turned us back out to the highway and up another drainage....this proved to be the most scenic sled ride ever but no goats!

Day 3- The day started a little more in winter Terrace fashion-gloomy and snowy. Lucky for us, a couple of brave goats were out and about and we spotted a goat that we decided might be within range from the bottom to kill before going up....a plan we thought was much better than climbing all day to only have them gone when you get there.
    We trekked across some logging and were far enough from the highway and with 450m of the goat ( slope distance as per range finder). After some quick " bush math " I decided to hold on its back and let fly.
    Shot one missed high, shot 2 visibly parted the hair on the hump. The goat moved ahead about 5m behind some trees and found me scrambling around for a clear shot. Finally a clear window, held dead on and it was all over.
    After surveying where it had fell, I decided to construct Jordan a harness from some extra anchor webbing and up we went...ropes and harnesses all of the way. When we got to the spot near where it fell ( with Walter's help ), we found that the goat was on a narrow rock ledge, wedged behind some ice. I tried to climb around but the unattached pie of ice on the ledge was way too sketchy. I tried several times to lassoo the horns, only to have it slip off when a lot of pressure was applied.
    I tried to climb around once more out of frustration but fear and common sense got the better of me and we were back to brainstorming. We finally constructed a grappling hook out of branches and successfully hooked the goat but the hook came off of the rope and tumbled down the chute below. A bunch of swearing and another hook made, found me try agian...this time with success. Down it went, off of the cliff and down the chute.We told Walter to meet us at the bottom and down we belayed. Luckily the goat slid all of the way down hundreds of meters and Walter was waiting there by the time we got down.

What a cape.....
    Turns out it was a nanny with horns very close together at the bases, not tipped much at the end and 8 1/2 inches long and fairly hefty. There was some disappointment shown because we have all shot big Billies in the past but upon closer inspection, she is 7-9 years old and missing several bottom teeth....this old girl was soon to be gone anyways!
    Many thanks to Jordan for a couple of close saves and Walter for his ongoing banter, patience and support.
    I would have shot more...but I ran outta shells

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Winter Goats-Crampons and Grappling Hooks

a couple more pics

I would have shot more...but I ran outta shells

Looks like some crazy country!!!

Being new to BC its something I want to look into for sure and see what its all about.....would be a cool February adventure! I just took a look at the LEH book and man there are a lot of options to draw up there eh? Lots to learn!
    Last edited by Rackmastr; 03-03-2012 at 07:53 PM.

Congrats on your goat that is a really tough hunt to go after them in the winter.
    Happily married man Feb 12, 2011 .

Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
    Looks like some crazy country!!!

Being new to BC its something I want to look into for sure and see what its all about.....would be a cool February adventure! I just took a look at the LEH book and man there are a lot of options to draw up there eh? Lots to learn!
    Some areas are better than others for winter hunting.
    Happily married man Feb 12, 2011 .

Congrats on the goat!

Nice work fellas. A tough, memorable hunt for sure....love the grappling hook!!

Nice Job Mike!!!!!

Love the use of Duct Tape!!!

Looks like a tough but fun hunt.

Again, congrats.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Great story just what we need here !
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Great story and pictures on what must have been one hell of a tough hunt. Congrats and thanks for the inspiration.