Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: raven question

Re: raven question

Quote Originally Posted by sarg View Post
    me to, i wanting to shoot one in the wost way when i first started hunting ,but then realized that i really like hearing them talk in the bush, i think it's one of my favorite thing to hear when im out in the bush now, it make me feel like i'm finally out of the city
    sarg
    exactly !
    ravens are cool, i just like watching and listening to them, they can be very entertaining with there strange behavior.
    *30-06 180g h4350*

Ravens are entertaining and interesting to watch and listen to. I don't have any problem with shooting them where legal, though. I shoot lots of animals that I also find entertaining to watch.

I also agree that crows are just pests.I shoot them any chance I get.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

years back vanc island farmer was complaining.... ravens are killing his calfs..first nobody was beliving him...but after when another peoples was witnessing pair of ravens hunting and killing
    1 year old calf they have to belive..hunting metod was..one raven was flying almoust top of calfs head.and when calfs tension was looking that 'flybye' another bird hit calfs eye with its big beak
    and calf went down..like hitting with hammer on the head.
    eye and brain are connected so thats all need take calf down.. my question is ...was that only pair raven to know that trick...or does all ravens do same thing... like for bambies at spring time ??

Quote Originally Posted by finngun View Post
    years back vanc island farmer was complaining.... ravens are killing his calfs..first nobody was beliving him...but after when another peoples was witnessing pair of ravens hunting and killing
    1 year old calf they have to belive..hunting metod was..one raven was flying almoust top of calfs head.and when calfs tension was looking that 'flybye' another bird hit calfs eye with its big beak
    and calf went down..like hitting with hammer on the head.
    eye and brain are connected so thats all need take calf down.. my question is ...was that only pair raven to know that trick...or does all ravens do same thing... like for bambies at spring time ??
    not when hunters are watching.

and the real question, is the raven more intelligent than the average hunter?

*30-06 180g h4350*

s.slayer---and the real question, is the raven more intelligent than the average hunter?
    that is not biggy.. everybody knows answer to that..
    but much better flyer they are
    i seen them flying upside down...spring time....mating flying with lady..

i like tame one bird and teach bird to be my 'spotter' fall deer hunting...
    illegal??

At work, I have known the same pair of Ravens for over 6 years. I would say they are way smarter than most.
    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Sorry Ozone you are correct

I shoot ravens when I get the chance
    when I knock off feathers I do a little dance
    with a compact luppy on a sako AII
    I can give em idigestion like I like to do
    I can blow them outta trees or off the ground
    leave their feathers in the air and guts spread all around
    and if others don't like it I could really care less
    cause a squawky old raven is a barn yard pest
    I can shoot em off a carcass or bait em with some eggs
    and it's all real legal just read it in the regs.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    Personally, if I'm out in the wilds, especially near FNs communities, I would respect their spiritual reverence, and not shoot one.
    all the more reason to shoot every overgrown crow you come across
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Haha Moose Guide that's a Beauty of a poem!

As far as Ravens being smarter than the ave hunter....Yep, most guys I bring out to the farm don't even get to shoot at them, nevermind kill one.
    Crows are smarter than ravens under hunting pressure, and Magpies are the smartest of all. Tough to even get a "snipeshow" long bomb rifle shot on a magpie. Have to be real sneaky with the 12ga, or shoot them right off the cows backs with a 22lr.

And Karma, well, no LEH for moose/elk/buffalo ever (14 years)....so maybe?

Never shot one, or at one. I love to be out in the sage, or the pines, or the fir, and listen to their bubbling croaks. Some sound like monkeys, some like other birds, like rusty car doors. Some sound almost human. I also like the shwish-shwoosh-swoosh of their wings as they fly over. It means there are no other sounds.
    Having said that, they're not welcome on the beef ranch I sometimes look after They do attack calves, and I know for a fact they attack dogs.