Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What's a good rifle for hunting all ungulates??

Re: What's a good rifle for hunting all ungulates??

Lol. Thanks. From what I understand, Magnum isn't a better version of the same caliber, but rather a clever marketing scheme that takes advantage of the myth that it is better.

Anyway, I may or may not get magnum and it won't be determined by one person's post I'm not swayed that easily.

@nap. Wrong already. No pump for me; I'm a (lever-action) bolt-action guy We'll see about the rest of it, though.
    Last edited by mysta02; 12-07-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Nap, haven't you been paying attention thus far? Mysta is a John Wayne lever kinda guy, he's going to buy
    a beautiful Browning BLR in 30.06...
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

I was tired when I wrote that last one and I'm not sure why I wrote lever.... I prefer bolt-action; that's my style.

I could always buy a rifle that shoots .950's. Lol. Then, I can take down deer, elk, moose, grizzly, T-Rex, etc, etc, with only one shot. Haha. So awesome!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.950_JDJ

270, 308 or 30 06. Depends on how much you will be hunting a certain quarry . Like if your mostly hunting deer then a .270 or .308 would be ideal to take deer aswell moose and elk. But if you will be hunting mostly elk and moose ect a 30 06 would get the job done easy. I'd say a 30 06 ruins to much meat on a 100 pound deer :/ (I us a .243 myself and am planning on taking moose and elk next season! Anything will get the job done if you hit it in the boiler room ) Just my thoughts and happy hunting!

I was in a local shop today that sells some hunting & fishing supplies. Under glass at the counter, there are a few pictures of people showing their catch of the day, some fish, some deer. One of the pictures is of a young fellow, about 12 years showing of a nice whitetail buck.
    Anyhow, I moved further into the store and was looking at some knives when a voice from slightly to the side and behind me asked if I hunted and fished. Turning, I was confronted by the lad whose picture I had just viewed. Said I did and with that he hauled out his smart phone to proudly show me the picture of his deer. I asked him where he got it and the the smart answer was, "Between the ribs." "Ha ha" I laughed and with that he told me where he got it. I asked him what he shot it with and he told me a Weatherby Vangaurd in 7Rem Mag with a Leopold scope, his very own. I asked him if it kicked and he said no worse than a 25-06. I then asked if he the length of pull altered for him and he had not.
    So, what's the point you ask. Well, the person who started this thread wanted to know which rifle would be good. I have to think that given the above story, the o/p could not go wrong with a 7 Rem Mag and in the Weatherby Vanguard as not a bad choice.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Thank you for the story A friend of the family said that he's been hunting with a 7mm for the last 20+ years. So, a 7mm sounds like a good choice, as well. It seems everyone has their own opinions about which gun is best and it comes down more to preference or tradition than to actual statistics.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    I was in a local shop today that sells some hunting & fishing supplies. Under glass at the counter, there are a few pictures of people showing their catch of the day, some fish, some deer. One of the pictures is of a young fellow, about 12 years showing of a nice whitetail buck.
    Anyhow, I moved further into the store and was looking at some knives when a voice from slightly to the side and behind me asked if I hunted and fished. Turning, I was confronted by the lad whose picture I had just viewed. Said I
    did and with that he hauled out his smart phone to proudly show me the picture of his deer. I asked him where he got it and the the smart answer was, "Between the ribs." "Ha ha" I laughed and with that he told me where he got it. I asked him what he shot it with and he told me a Weatherby Vangaurd in 7Rem Mag with a Leopold scope, his very own. I asked him if it kicked and he said no worse than a 25-06. I then asked if he the length of pull altered for him
    and he had not.
    So, what's the point you ask. Well, the person who started this thread wanted to know which rifle would be good. I have to think that given the above story, the o/p could not go wrong with a 7 Rem Mag and in the Weatherby Vanguard as not a bad choice.
    Jagermeister,it's only a matter of time as your about to have your head torn off for recommending a "MAGNUM" to a new hunter,just what the hell were you thinking man

I couldn't agree more would make a perfect all round caliber for any BC game,

If th OP looks at the Weatherby Vanguard line,check out the new series 2,guaranteed MOA,adjustable trigger and a very good price.
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 12-08-2011 at 09:10 AM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by mysta02 View Post
    Lol. Thanks. From what I understand, Magnum isn't a better version of the same caliber, but rather a clever marketing scheme that takes advantage of the myth that it is better.

Anyway, I may or may not get magnum and it won't be determined by one person's post I'm not swayed that easily.

@nap. Wrong already. No pump for me; I'm a (lever-action) bolt-action guy We'll see about the rest of it, though.
    well never said I would be right on my guess, just threw that pump in to add a bit of spice, most I guess would not buy a pump, what ever you decide caliber type of rifle, have a great time with it and most important be careful.

I use a 30-06 for everything from Giant Hummingbirds to Elk and Moose, but there's nothing wrong with a .270.
    In fact, for someone starting out, I think I'd lean to the .270 slightly.

Ahh, the elusive Giant Hummingbird. Many stories have I heard in the local tavern of this rare creature, though everyone knows someone who knows someone who once thought they heard a Giant Hummingbird in the tree, but couldn't guarantee it wasn't a common hummingbird......

You've actually SEEN one??

Also, I've been hearing .270 from many people, including the local gun shop, though he also suggested a 30-06.