Thread: Newb Question: when do you load?

Newb Question: when do you load?

Hey gang,
    newb forum remember, so be easy...when should I chamber a round? I have been out by myself several times and I load and chamber a round as soon as I am setting off hiking away from the truck. Safety on of course. Is this `best practice'? Or should I load the mag and chamber a round when it's time to shoot?

Thanks all, happy hunting.

VI

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Newb Question: when do you load?

well , i load as soon as i leave my vehicle. and most do the same

Depends on what you are doing, and if you are with someone. If you are brand new to hunting and guns and hunting...I'd suggest you not chamber one until you are ready to shoot.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

ya kinda depends. if i'm walking down a trail or road I have one chambered. but if I'm working my way through a cut block then no. it's loaded just not chambered. basically if theres alot of stuff to trip over and loose your footing then I rather not have one chambered. if your hunting with someone then it's probably a good idea not to chamber a round.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

I "load" when I step out of the truck but don't chamber until I'm ready to shoot.
    Too many things bad can happen with one in the spout - you can fall, the safety can fail, I just don't take the chance.

As stated above, it's situation driven.

I to will load the magazine but not necessarily the chamber. I do travel with the chamber loaded/safety on most of the time but not when climbing over or stumbling around blow downs and the like.

I have done a head over heals, looking down the pipe as the rifle slammed onto the ground, thanking God that the gun didn't fire, spill off a frosty log in the past. Play it smart all the time. Control the muzzle at all times and use your best judgement.
    Rejuvenation: Sitting in the slash in sub-zero temperatures waiting for first light and hearing antlers clashing together. Oh man, life is good!

load it chamber it the moment my feet hit the ground (in legal light)- you never know. And there is no way you can cycle a round without spooking a deer unless its 300yrds away. Flicking the safety will send shivers down their spine - let alone thrusting a shell into the chamber.
    Ive stepped on way to many deer where I either barely had enough time to flip the safety and shoot or not enough time as it is.
    Just basic safety. Your gun wont hurt what it isnt pointed at.

As soon as you get out and it's legal light, I agree with Jehiah...safety on...
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

We just had an extensive thread on this very question: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...-chamber-quot-.

Enjoy!