Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie sausage questions

Newbie sausage questions

Hey yall,

Well after my great wife bought me a 1 3/4HP grinder and a 30lb sausage stuffer for my birthday I figure I'd better take full advantage of them. Now not wanting to turn my great meat into dog food or garbage, does anyone have any ideas on %'s of fat to meat ratio. Do you use Pork fat OR Beef fat?
    Have NEVER done any of this before. I realize that it is usually trial and error but maybe someone can guide me in the right direction and tips to ensure GREAT tasting sausage patties, smokies etc.
    Any help would be great!!
    Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Newbie sausage questions

X2 I'm also interested. From what i've read most use pork fat for sausage but do you use it with burger too or do you use beef fat for that..

To OP
    Not meaning to high jack your thread but I think we are looking for the same answers
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Do NOT use beef fat.

Use pork fat or better yet pork butt or pork shoulder. The butt and shoulder is a bit more money but it makes fantastic sausage and burger.

I don't really figure out the fat percentage but I would guess for burger I put in approx. 25 percent pork shoulder and a bit higher fat content for sausage. I kind of add the pork until I get the meat looking how I like it. It's important to not skimp on the pork because you need the fat for the sausage to cook properly and for the juices. Oh the juices.

Do yourself a favour and buy a book on sausage making. Start with fresh sausage like breakfast, italian, choriso, brats and the like.

I have found I like to make longer sausages than you can usually buy so when BBQin' them up I get a bit sticking out both ends of the bun. MMMmmm.

Have fun. It's a great hobby to get into.
    Rejuvenation: Sitting in the slash in sub-zero temperatures waiting for first light and hearing antlers clashing together. Oh man, life is good!

It's also an idea to find someone near you that makes sausage that will help you get started (not necessary but will give you peace of mind). I started on my own but have since learned from a couple others some tips. I'll be getting into summer sausage and pepperoni later in the season with the help of another HBC member who has offered to show me the ropes.

Three tips to start you off.

1-Don't try to get your pork the same day you are planning to make the sausage. It can some times be a bit hard to come by.
    2-Pre-arrange to get your casing. It can be a bit hard to locate a supplier. (at least on the lower Island)
    2-Make North Italian for your first batch.
    Rejuvenation: Sitting in the slash in sub-zero temperatures waiting for first light and hearing antlers clashing together. Oh man, life is good!

44.......You have some great equipment so now make some great sausage!!

the answer to your question is more complicated then your question. In order to make really good homemade sausage there is a lot of base knowledge you should get before jumping into how much fat and which kind. Each sausage you make requires different types of fat and different quantities. I would suggest that you google "How to make your own homade sausage from scratch" and devour the info. Then find a good recipe and follow it with your new knowledge. Beef fat is used for some recipes and pork for even more and % vary depending on the type you make and whether you are making fresh or cured. I've been doing it for over 20yrs and really enjoy it, i hope you do to.

Here's some fresh Italian

And heres a batch of pepperoni:
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

I started by making farmers sausage. Used a proven recipe that my grandfather had used and I enjoyed eating the sausage as a kid. I use pork shoulder usually and I pick it up when it goes on sale at Price Mart. I just picked up pork shoulders, bone in for 97 cents a pound. The cure, casings and color fast I get from a local butcher shop.
    ">

I agree, don't use fat use cheap cuts of pork.
    Quote Originally Posted by doubled View Post
    Bring beer and young guys and your problems are solved.

Originally Posted by Rock Doctor http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images...s/viewpost.gif
    I think we should decide, here and now, just what distance is to be considered "Out of range".
    That way the guys that can't shoot will know what they should be able to do, and the guys that can shoot will know when they are being unethical

RD

Now you gotta get a Bradley smoker...For Christmas maybe. If you have a kitchen aid use the paddle to mix your meats. I hear its easier on the hands. Bona petit.

And don't add pork to your burger...... Why ruin good clean wild meat with swine?
    Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    Considering what information is actually required on the card, yup, you're an idiot if ya make an error.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Glenny View Post
    Now you gotta get a Bradley smoker...For Christmas maybe. If you have a kitchen aid use the paddle to mix your meats. I hear its easier on the hands. Bona petit.
    The Bradley is great, but too small if you are doing 100 pounds or more. Here's a pic of my hybrid smoker using the bradley smoke generator and inside I have a small propane burner as well as a fan to circulate the air.

">