Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Region 7 Stone's Sheep Double Header

Region 7 Stone's Sheep Double Header

Close to a year of planning and preparation resulted in my partner Mike and I cutting our tags on two Northern BC Stone’s Sheep opening week. After a successful hunt in 2010 in Region 7 where Mike harvested a magnificent Grizz we decided to try our luck again on these elusive creatures. After several phone calls and discussions this past September with HBC’s resident Grizz expert Srupp, we decided on two weeks that would increase our odds of harvesting a monster coastal Grizz.

Mike and I (who work together) requested and received off the two weeks that Srupp had recommended. In due course the LEH applications were submitted and much to our chagrin we learned that we were unsuccessful. After a quick disappointed phone call to Mike, undeterred we decided that a fall hunt would be in order – but for what and when? Mike’s true passion is sheep and within seconds he suggested that we go for Stone’s Sheep. Having never hunted Sheep before I was keen on the hunt and Mike was super stoked wanting to put a giant twister on his wall next to his amazing Dall.

As fate would have it, unbeknownst to us both Mike and I had two weeks off (at the same time) the first two weeks of August. Mike had his annual Gold River fishing trip planned with the boys and I was supposed to go to Italy with my wife and kids. I knew I could get out of the Italy trip but Mike felt compelled to not let the boys down on the fishing trip. With a little coaxing Mike was making the call to see if he could get out of his previous commitment. Mission accomplished – Stone’s Sheep here we come!

Mike and I spent the winter preparing for the hunting both physically (training) as well as planning where we had the best chance of harvesting a legal ram. Gleaning HBC, reading various publications and PM/talking to many of the HBC members allowed us to come up with a game plan. Region 7 was it and we booked our fly in charter for July 30th thus allowing us a day and a half to spot and increase our chances of anchoring one opening morning.

July 29th arrived before we knew it and when my alarm went off at 3:20 AM that morning I was already awake. I was lucky if I managed 2 hours sleep with the anticipation of my first Stone’s Sheep hunt. Mike arrived 10 minutes earlier than planned at 3:35 and we left my house at 4:00 am as originally planned. On the 5:15 BC Ferry Mike and I sorted through our gear and poured over the maps once again trying to consolidate our game plan. Once on the Lower Mainland we started the 22-hour drive North bound with images of full curl rams on our mind.

The kilometers seemed to fly by fast and despite some fog and slow going through the night due to wildlife on the highway we reached the float base at 530 the following morning. The drive through the night was grueling but with Mike and I both used to shift work we were able to push through with out stopping to ensure we were ready to go for our early morning departure.

A sincere effort to catch a couple of hours of shuteye was fruitless with the anticipation of what lie ahead. Around 8 o’clock signs of life around the float base encouraged us inside to find out that despite all our planning, several parties had already flown into our carefully chosen lake. Mike and I had a quick huddle and resolved that we were about as lucky to harvest a sheep at the Walmart parking lot in our hometown than at that range with close to a dozen others combing it. After looking over topo maps an ad hoc plan was devised for a new lake. A quick check with the pilot and it was determined there was likely a lot less pressure in the new area we had selected.

The biggest concern for us was that our maps did not cover any of the new area we had decided upon. Some old maps were lying around the office for that area and I noticed a scanner and printer near by. We also had internet access so we had an opportunity to come up with some resources. Fortunately for us weather delays pushed our departure until later in the day and I spent several hours on the computer scanning, printing and cutting and pasting topo print outs off Google Maps. Mike spent quality time on the phone trying to find out as much information as possible about the new area. By the time we were set to depart we had a pretty respectable topographical map and an idea of where we may possibly find some sheep.

We were airborne by 1:30 PM and an hour and a half later we were unloading our gear wondering to ourselves how we ended up here. Four months of planning, talking to other hunters and gleaning over maps and we are not even hunting that area! Once on the ground we spent the better part of 1 ˝ hours getting everything sorted and we commenced our 3-mile hike. Four and a half hours later we decided that was enough and set up our spike camp. It was raining and cool and having spent the last 40 hours without having seen a bed I was ready to rest. We agreed that 8 hours should be sufficient and after a quick Mountain House we were asleep by about 10 PM.

Early the next morning we were up and eager to tackle the slopes in our new found valley. We carefully worked our way to a high vantage point and by mid day Mike had picked out a bachelor herd of 6 rams. They were over a mile away on the opposite side of the valley but the majestic curl of the Stone’s Sheep was unmistakable. We watched carefully considering our plan for the following morning – opening day.

As we sat spotting we noticed a peculiar colored rock at the base of the hillside the sheep were on. Closer inspection revealed a tent and two hunters tucked in the trees not more than a few hundred yards from the herd. Mike and I were demoralized and felt that they are more than likely going to spook them out of the valley and best-case scenario they were at a better vantage point than us for opening morning. We had elected to set up camp outside of the valley in order to avoid scaring any of the sheep but now we were confronted with other hunters in the same area.

We watched the herd until sunset carefully plotting our plan for opening morning. We resolved that the best plan of attack was for us to pick a spot about ľ a mile further down the long valley from the other party. We felt that if they did manage a shot at the rams their escape route might take them past us (if they did not go up over the top). There was also the possibility that they will move during the night and we might have a shot at them.

The next morning we had our alarm set for 2:30 am and were on the trail by 3:00. A 3 ˝ mile forced march on a game trail we had never been on in the middle of the night was interesting. We both had our Petzl headlamps on bright for the first hour but as we neared the valley we went to red and eventually with some ambient light we could make our way with out any help. We arrived at the base of the hill a bit later than anticipated as a result of some thick brush and stream crossings but nonetheless we were there before first light. We stopped in some heavy brush assessed the situation and realized there was some open terrain and then some additional cover further up the mountain. A shot from where we were would be challenging as we were a considerable way down the hill plus a stalk would be impossible from that vantage point. We elected to cross the open terrain and took cover in some heavy brush partially up the mountain.

As the sun started to reveal itself Mike noticed a ram bedded about 180 yards directly in front of us up the mountain. As further light shed all six rams came into view bedded within shooting range. Two or three of them were locked onto us as Mike peered through the Vortex Nomad assessing the legality of the herd members. I stayed low in the heavy cover looking on through my Zeiss Conquests remaining motionless wary that our success was contingent on it. As I lay watching these magnificent creatures I witness the impact of a single shot followed immediately by the loud report of a rifle. Seconds later a second ram falls with the incredible report of a rifle piercing the crisp morning air.

The other party in a matter of seconds had filled their tags and Mike and I sat in awe as the remaining four rams mulled around in confusion. The two other hunters were at a higher vantage point further up the valley and had obviously spotted the rams at first light as well and stalked toward our location. After a few minutes the two hunters wandered down to claim their prize as Mike and I assessed the remaining rams. The largest of the group skylined himself at 200 yards and Mike and I both further considered the ram. Confident he was legal, Mike leaned over his Karrimor daypack and the 225 Federal grains broke the morning silence once again. The Browning 338 X-bolt anchored its second trophy in two years bringing the flared out old Stone’s Sheep to the ground.

Last edited by kayjayess; 08-17-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Uploaded Additional Pictures

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Region 7 Stone's Sheep Double Header

Within 30 minutes of legal light 3 Stone’s Sheep had been harvested in the valley and Mike had cut his tag on a magnificent trophy. Mike and I had suspected that one of the remaining three rams were legal but were unable to confirm it. We spent the remainder of the morning enjoying the moment, taking several photographs, followed by the hard work of processing the animal. By mid day Mike had the horns and cape loaded in his daypack and my Eberlestock was loaded with Sheep meat. The hike back up the valley was arduous with the extra weight but an incredible one knowing that we were half way toward our goal of anchoring two Northern BC Stone’s Sheep.

The following day we exhausted the various remaining options for Sheep in the area we were in and were confident that we were not missing anything (well much anyway). Day three we loaded our packs and headed back to base with Mike’s ram. The 3-mile hike with the ram seemed like 6 although it went rather quick. By noon we had the Sheep unloaded back at the lake and were rejigging our packs as we were setting out in another direction. By early afternoon we had enough food packed for 8 days and were heading out in pursuit of the second half of our Stone’s double-header.

With the extra weight the packs were pushing 80 pounds and the going was slow. Our goal was to set up camp 6 miles from the lake that evening. This was hampered by undulating terrain and multiple stream crossings – in conjunction with cumulative fatigue. At 8 PM that night Mike turned to me and said, “Have you had enough?” We had already made 8 stream crossings and were facing another deep one. We had covered 5 ˝ of the 6 miles and I was content with the site that we were considering to camp at.

After a grueling day, within seconds of laying my head to rest I was asleep. 8 hours later we were up and preparing for another day in the mountains. We ended going straight up from camp and after surveying the area East of our spike we concurred that there was not much for Sheep. We did run into 3 other hunters as we made our way down the east side of the valley. Mike and I decided to turn around and spend our time in another area. The day passed without seeing a single sheep.

That evening the rain began and it poured. The freeze-dried was consumed in the tent that evening and I fully expected that tomorrow would be a write off. I awoke to the silence of no rain the morning of the 5th and a quick glance outside confirmed that yes we could hunt. We geared up hoping that today would be the day.

Since the East side of the valley was unproductive we decided to head West. We followed a creek bed for two miles crossing 7 times. After a couple of miles we decided that our best bet was to acquire some elevation, so up we went. As we topped out, we dropped our packs and crawled over the ridge doing our best to stay covered. Mike went ahead of me and I followed closely. We belly crawled over the ridge and found a concealed crevice that sheltered us from most of the surrounding area.

As I was glassing the valley, Mike looked intensely at me saying, “There is a monster ram right here. I think he is legal.” Now I am not sure about you but that kind of statement caught my attention. I slowly crawled up to the apex of the hill beside Mike and at 100 yards stood a beautiful Stone’s Sheep. He was locked onto both of us and I was immediately aware that my movements at that moment were crucial to my success. My first premonition was, of course he is legal, and as I raised my scope it was glaringly obvious that he was.

There was a jagged crevice that we had taken cover on before and Mike astutely told me to lay my rifle in the saddle and shoot him. I quickly replied that it would be impossible to get a solid shot off from that location. At that point the magnificent Stone’s Sheep bed down still locked intently on us. I elected to back down the knoll and acquire a solid vantage point. As I retracted I took a moment to think about where my greatest percentage position would be. Mike looked my squarely in the eye and said in a nudging tone, “Bro, you need to make your move now.”

I slowly belly crawled up the center of the knoll discreetly pulling my rifle toward me. As I crested out I pulled the rifle up into a position in front of my shoulder. I rolled it upright bringing the scope to my eye. I looked around and could see that the shooting lane would still impact the ground so I placed my left hand under the stock making a tight fist creating a temporary rest raising the rifle two inches off the ground. As I centered my eye to the scope I switched off the safety and the ram met the reticle of my Leupold VX-III 50 mm scope. As I touched off the trigger the report of the Browning X-Bolt 300 Winchester Magnum broke the mid day calm. The 150-grain Hornandy SST anchored the ram in his bed and his head promptly dropped, tell tale evidence that he was not going anywhere.

The elation of a double header Stone’s Sheep swiftly over took Mike and I. As we walked up to the ram we could not contain the excitement and we spent the next hour savoring the fruits of our labor. After snapping off an inane amount of photos the hard work commenced as we processed the animal. The extra weight in our daypacks as we meandered back to spike was a firm reminder of the incredible hunt we had just experienced.

The following day we packed up and commenced the 5-˝ mile trek back to the lake. This time we were loaded with food for 6 more days and a harvested Stone’s ram. The uphill hike back to base was a long journey but so rewarding knowing what we had in our packs.

In closing, I want to thank first and foremost my partner Mike who made harvesting my first Stone’s Sheep a reality. Without his wisdom, experience and constant encouragement I would not have been successful. I particularly want to thank lange1212 for all of his guidance and assistance. There is no question without your help we would not have accomplished our goal of shooting two legal rams. I also want to thank Srupp, Curly top, DanBallance, Shade Tree, Bridger, Orangethunder, and BCRams. Each one of you was instrumental in making this trip a success and I thank you for it.
    Last edited by kayjayess; 08-17-2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Editiorial

Awesome jobs guys , big congrats to you

Too awesome man.......I've gotta read this thread at work as I'm running out the door, but another big Congrats!

Great curl on one and wide flare on the other. Many congrats to you two. Didn't read the post's yet but the pics are fantastic. Well done. Heading up in two weeks myself for sheep and griz so hope to be so fortunate.
    WSSoBC Monarch Gold
    WSF Summit
    Grand Slam #1810
    GOABC Life
    SCI Life
    WSF CA Life
    WSF MT Life
    RMGA Life

Great job & great writeup
    Last edited by kootenayslam; 08-11-2011 at 09:55 AM.

nice work, I especially like that second ram, beauty.. Congrats
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

Congrats, and be sure to enter the HBC Big Game contest!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Awesome hunt.....congrats boys! Thanks for posting!
    "I am fascinated by the wild, rough country where sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes". - JOC

Without a doubt this is one of the best written sheep hunt stories I have ever read on HBC. The photos are great as well. You guys had one hell of a hunt. You made the best out of the diffuclties you faced to make the trip successful. Well done guys.