Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Notice to hunters hunting the DeaseLake/StikineRiver Areas

Re: Notice to hunters hunting the DeaseLake/StikineRiver Areas

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    So are these cumpulory inspections year round to get numbers on Native kills? In my honest opinion, that is the only way you will get accurate info on the numbers of moose harvested in these areas.
    Really, what good are harvest numbers in the whole scheme of things? How do they collects stats on the numbers killed by wolves, bears, cats, vehicle collisons, drownings, stuck in the muds, or even omg........lightning strikes???

You might be able to determine success rates, but the harvest numbers really cannot have any real bearing on the moose populations as there are too many unknowns.

Any harvest stats collected can only be used to justify more closures and limits on legal hunters. imho

I've got no problem with a check station.

I'm sure the local FNs are reporting their harvest as well, if they are that concerned about moose populations. Sent a few e-mails to find out if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
    Really, what good are harvest numbers in the whole scheme of things? How do they collects stats on the numbers killed by wolves, bears, cats, vehicle collisons, drownings, stuck in the muds, or even omg........lightning strikes???

You might be able to determine success rates, but the harvest numbers really cannot have any real bearing on the moose populations as there are too many unknowns.

Any harvest stats collected can only be used to justify more closures and limits on legal hunters. imho
    Harvest stats are quite accurate in determining moose populations. There is a ton of models that correlate physical inventories with harvest to determine populations levels and trends. No method can count every moose, but our model is considered one of the best in North America at estimating populations.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

If these inspection stations mean the end to the roadblocks, then I'm all for it.
    That Ealue Lk. inspection site was in place about 10 years ago IIRC. The Tahltan guy was there to ask that their camps be respected (don't burn their poles)& that any unwanted body parts be brought out, so as they can use it.

Quote Originally Posted by BromBones View Post
    I've got no problem with a check station.

I'm sure the local FNs are reporting their harvest as well, if they are that concerned about moose populations. Sent a few e-mails to find out if that's the case.
    I believe they are only concerned with how many Moose Non-Natives are harvesting.

If they were seriously concerned about the population, they wouldn't be shooting cows and calves.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    If these inspection stations mean the end to the roadblocks, then I'm all for it.
    That Ealue Lk. inspection site was in place about 10 years ago IIRC. The Tahltan guy was there to ask that their camps be respected (don't burn their poles)& that any unwanted body parts be brought out, so as they can use it.
    Makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Harvest stats are quite accurate in determining moose populations. There is a ton of models that correlate physical inventories with harvest to determine populations levels and trends. No method can count every moose, but our model is considered one of the best in North America at estimating populations.
    How so??

If there are 100 hunters...the most that will be harvested will 100?
    If it's only open for bull moose with spike fork [or spike-fork,tripalm, ten per side]...how will that tell you how many other bulls are out there??
    How does that tell you the cow, cow/calf population??

Seriously now.......

I believe they are only concerned with how many Moose Non-Natives are harvesting.

If they were seriously concerned about the population, they wouldn't be shooting cows and calves.

Gee, I guess BCs deer population is going to tank now with all these doe openings???

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
    Gee, I guess BCs deer population is going to tank now with all these doe openings???
    Are we worried about our deer population??

Are we worried about our deer population??
    Must be, that is why they have doe leh....and doe seasons...it's a good thing those natives don't like deer or we wouldn't have any of those either!!