Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: UBBC Bowhunter Survey

Re: UBBC Bowhunter Survey

during Bow season , Youth can Bow hunt ...
    Perhaps my neck is too red to see past the end of my nose ...but i still fail to see the need for a youth only season ... If you are gonna take a kid out ...take a kid out ..why does it only need to be between this date and that date ..extend the general season to include the current youth dates, the kid is licenced for anterless anyway ...
    alot of jurisdictions have no overlap in GOS and Archery only seasons simply because of the safety factor .... (dont take the wrong way and before ya'll git yer panties in a bunch I will explain) Its been documented that some "hunters" will shoot at a sound or bush movement (basically shoot first ask questions later ...) Its been known to happen (no body can deny that fact) I think it was in 2006 maybe 2005 some guy was packing a decoy in Alberta (wearing blaze at the time I might add, which is not required, granted it was a Hi Vis vest so the sides werent totally visible) out to his tree stand on crown land NW of Calgary and was shot for his efforts by a New Hunter in the side abdomen(he was packing a Comman-doe under his arm . the New hunter made a stament to the police that he was excited to see a deer and shot it (with a 30-06 at 125 yrds)

that there is the very reason why i stated that I somewhat Agree with the "pointed question" ...had the shooter been an "expirianced" hunter that did that I wouldve said strongly agree.
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Couldn't afford to hire you to get the language right.
    It is a start to understanding a particular group. Bowhunters have been accused of NOT doing something (even by you). To do something, is better than to do nothing at all.

Gatehouse is right. Everyone will have their own opinion. I look forward to them stepping up and assisting in the future. Fill out the form. Let's see where it leads.
    You'd be surprised at what you'd get. I've also said that I'd volunteer and help out (same with a few other things that have been a source of debate).

I'm just as interested as anybody else in this stuff.

Good to see the effort, just the execution and results that will be fraught with error. No sense in getting into the semantics of it.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

I have changed the collector settings to allow people to go back into the survey to change responses... this should enable people to return and alter their response to those questionable questions! Thanks
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by PGK View Post
    Yes you can disagree.
    I was pointing out to the UBBC members on the board that I am not in favour with this question, as well as a few others which were leading, obviously pointed at eliciting the replies they wished to hear, and poorly designed. Not everyone is going to see the results of the survey, I was merely providing my feedback to UBBC members of the board publicly. Which I believe is my perogative to do.
    PGK, appreciate your input. I don't think we are attempting to use leading questions as a way of controlling the answer, but rather as Hermit has said, using questions that put the issue right there in front of you.

To be clear, we don't have any premonition about what we want, or any predetermined idea of where we are going to take this. We simply want to start gathering information. Hey, it might not be the last survey we do. Perhaps this will allow us to break future issues down for a more complete discussion/survey.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    Perhaps my neck is too red to see past the end of my nose ...but i still fail to see the need for a youth only season ... If you are gonna take a kid out ...take a kid out ..why does it only need to be between this date and that date ..extend the general season to include the current youth dates, the kid is licenced for anterless anyway ...
    alot of jurisdictions have no overlap in GOS and Archery only seasons simply because of the safety factor .... (dont take the wrong way and before ya'll git yer panties in a bunch I will explain) Its been documented that some "hunters" will shoot at a sound or bush movement (basically shoot first ask questions later ...) Its been known to happen (no body can deny that fact) I think it was in 2006 maybe 2005 some guy was packing a decoy in Alberta (wearing blaze at the time I might add, which is not required, granted it was a Hi Vis vest so the sides werent totally visible) out to his tree stand on crown land NW of Calgary and was shot for his efforts by a New Hunter in the side abdomen(he was packing a Comman-doe under his arm . the New hunter made a stament to the police that he was excited to see a deer and shot it (with a 30-06 at 125 yrds)

that there is the very reason why i stated that I somewhat Agree with the "pointed question" ...had the shooter been an "expirianced" hunter that did that I wouldve said strongly agree.
    Bullshit on the safety factor. In fact, I call double bullshit. The guy who did the shooting could do it in any season, bow only, bow/gun concurrent, muzzleloader only, rifle only, etc. The safety factor is equivalent in any season and not related to any season specifically. What if that eager beaver had stuck the guy with a broadhead - maybe they should ban bows during bow season, following your rationale?

Sounds like you wrote the leading questions to get the answer you've been promoting on here Mikey.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by PGK View Post
    You keep agreeing with me and people are going to start wondering
    you guys live in the same city don't you...?????

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Bullshit on the safety factor. In fact, I call double bullshit. The guy who did the shooting could do it in any season, bow only, bow/gun concurrent, muzzleloader only, rifle only, etc. The safety factor is equivalent in any season and not related to any season specifically. What if that eager beaver had stuck the guy with a broadhead - maybe they should ban bows during bow season, following your rationale?

Sounds like you wrote the leading questions to get the answer you've been promoting on here Mikey.
    Pull your head out of your ass long enough to open your eyes and while you are at it unbunch your panties would ya ... you sound pretty defensive for a guy that advocates all styles of hunting.

I simply stated that many jurisdictions have no archery only / general open season overlap ... I gave the rational that many of jurisdictions use (mostly american jurisdictions by the way)... and infact I gave an example of an incident that actually happend that backed up that rational that happend relitivly recently and fairly close to us (I only remeber it because it happend 30 minutes from house in Cochrane Ab at the time (happend in the South Ghost Forest reserve just off the forestry trunk road near south Cow lake... and I recall that clearly because that spring a Bible thumper at the cow lake bible camp was attacked by a Grizz near the same spot and the running joke was there was no lions to feed)
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Thanks for that Bill. Did her last night.
    If you're going to find tracks you better make tracks!

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    Crap - In the Hunter Education Section Question #6 should have included an option to say that thiings are okay the way they are now. I've revised the survey but not sure if those that have already answered can go back to make that selection. Damn - sorry guys.
    That's what I missed too and so I wrote in the comment section of the survey.
    “The hunter education program that is in place now is more then adequate. Adding a mandatory bowhunter education program would be utterly counterproductive to bowhunter recruitment.”

I also added something to the effect that more suburban areas should be opened up for bowhunting only. Archery has proven in many jurisdictions to be the perfect wildlife management tool in suburban areas.

Onesock, I hope my opinion counts, because I amonly a 60% of the time bowhunter.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post

Bowzone_Mikey looking at the hunter accident statistics I see that almost as many hunters get shot at by bows as by firearms. However, these incidents are such a small number, if memory serves me correctly less then 1% of the overall hunter accident statistic. While safety certainly is an important issue I don’t think it is necessarily wise to keep harping on about it and give the government stupid ideas in the process. A certain amount of danger is involved in everything we do and it cannot be eliminated no matter how hard we try or what regulations we impose.

As a side note: It's not always the inexperienced hunter that can’t identify the target. Some years ago I got shot at (still have the scare on the neck to prove it) on the way to my treestand by another bowhunter. The distance was less then 30 yards and the shooter was a bowhunter education instructor of a reputable organization.
    Last edited by huntwriter; 02-12-2009 at 03:37 PM.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"