Thread: Widgeon Lake Report

Widgeon Lake Report

In July I hiked with a friend into Widgeon Lake, west of Pitt Lake and north of Coquitlam. 1.5 hr paddle, 9 km hike and about 900m elevation gain. The trip starts with a 1 1/2 hour canoe trip from the boat launch at Pitt Lake in Pitt Meadows. I had 70 lb pack and my friend had 60 lbs. We took up his ham radio equipment to do some transmitting from the lake.

The canoe trip went well. We happened to hit the rising high tide going across the Pitt River and up Widgeon Creek which made the paddeling easy. We hid the canoe in the brush at the forestry site at the end of the paddle section. There are some pads for setting up tents here for those who are just doing the paddle.

Here starts the 9 km trail to the lake. The trail is in 3 parts. The first part is the old logging road which is easy going and gradually gains elevation. The 2nd part starts at about 2km. The lake trail turns off up an old skidder rd. The trail is easy walking. You cross a couple of creeks where you can fill up your water bottles.

The trail hits Widgeon creek and the old skidder bridge has been washed out along time ago. The trail winds up the rugged edge of the creek leading to a foot bridge over the creek. This is the last place to fill your bottles.

The trail continues on a skidder trail on the other side of the creek.
    The climb becomes steeper and the trail rougher. This section the trail is a dried up creek bed which is difficlut to walk on. You eventually take a left turn off this rough skidder trail and start up the 3rd section of the hike. This is where it gets nasty.

The next 1 or 1 1/2 km gains about 700m in elevation. There are sections where you are grabbing roots and some one has hung ropes to help with the climbing in some sections. Lots of scrambling up smooth bed rock where the dirt has been worn away due to the steepness of the trail. You do not want to take a tumble here.

Eventually the trail hits the top and you are looking down at the lake about 60 m below you. Here is a tent site with a nice view of the lake. From here the trail goes to the left winding along the ridge. Do not cut down to the lake there is no path on the lake shore and it is impassible. I flagged the trail a bit since we lost it on a open area where snow covered the trail. It took about 1/2 hr from when we first saw the lake until we got to the edge of Widgeon creek where it leaves the lake. Here there are a few more tent sites.

We did not explore any further along the lake. The lake is very beautiful surrounded by large boulders and rising peaks. The trout were small and numerous by the creek and in the evening were rising up to mosquitos.

The lake is nice but in the future I would go in on a float plane. The trail I found to be too rough and rugged. It is very easy to twist an ankle or have a slip and fall. We both had slips on the way down but fourtunatley nothing serious. I have done other hikes with just as nice of a lake at the end but with out the dangerous trail.

Last edited by pmj; 08-24-2008 at 02:47 PM.
    Paul J
    BC Wildlife Federation
    BC Rifle Association
    Finnish War Veterans in BC

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Widgeon Lake Report

Thnx for the great report Paul. Great pics and trail description.

Looks like a great place to spend some time. Can't beat hike-in campsites for solitude, eh?

The Fools' Gold Trail (which starts there) is on my 'list', so that info helps a lot. Thx Paul.
    Brian
    "Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."
    ~ Dan Quayle

Great pics and reporting man. It really took me back - I haven't been up that way in centuries

How is security in the Pitt Lake parking lot, by the way?

Wolfman
    "didn't want the cabin lookin' like it was built by a boyscout with a dull hatchet."

- Dick Proenneke

I did this hike about 5 years ago,also with a 70 lb b ackpack and agree the trail is too rugged for a hike in camping trip.in the future I would fly in as well.

Widgeon lake is a hidden gem that few will experience because of its remoteness,but for those that are up for the challenge will be left with a memory that will not soon be forgotten.
    Sometimes she goes, sometimes she don't go. That's just the way she goes Ricky

Looks great , thanks for the report .
    R.I.P BiG Boar

I used to fly into Widgeon often, I haven't been in years, beauty pics! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paulyman View Post
    I did this hike about 5 years ago,also with a 70 lb b ackpack and agree the trail is too rugged for a hike in camping trip.in the future I would fly in as well.

Widgeon lake is a hidden gem that few will experience because of its remoteness,but for those that are up for the challenge will be left with a memory that will not soon be forgotten.
    I hope it remains difficult to get into. Too often have we seen what happens when a location becomes 'too easy' to get into. I often think about hiking up to Garibaldi lake in the late 70's-early 80's and how great it was. Nowadays its completely and utterly swarmed with people - mostly tourists - to the point where they are limiting access. Too late though. makes me sick and it happens all over the place.

So when something is tough to get into that means it will likely not be too badly abused.

Wolfman
    "didn't want the cabin lookin' like it was built by a boyscout with a dull hatchet."

- Dick Proenneke

whats the hunting like in the area.
    wayne

Thanks for that i had been thinking of going there with my son but the trail sounds to rough for a 12 year old.Many years ago i worked at Allouette canoe and was up Widgeon creek daily never made it to the lake.
    My buddys and i used to go to Monroe lake often on top of Burke MTN and fish for Brook trout.After thirty five years i climbed to it of Quarry rd last year looked alot differant than i remember.One time the boys went up and i couldn't make it up the same time so my dad dropped me off at the gun club and i walked in myself i was 14 that place is spooky up there.
    Last edited by Buck; 04-24-2011 at 08:43 PM.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess