Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading Rain Gear

Upgrading Rain Gear

Heading north in Sept.
    Been reading about the willow jungles that choke alot of valleys.In my readings of late guys are saying how tough the willow can be on rain gear.
    I have a sierra designs coat and rock water design pants,I am looking at upgrading but can't say whether this gear will be tough enough,or is there something that will stand up to the willows?
    Judging by the country on Google Earth I will definately be dealing with willowed valley bottoms for access.
    What say ye back country enthusiasts?
    What works great?
    Anyone that uses they product mentioned does it stand up?
    THX RB

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Upgrading Rain Gear

I am sure you have heard of this (maybe not) but take a look at Sitka Gear
    http://www.sitkagear.com/

It appears they have some very good product lines. If I had not just ordered a complete set of wool camo, I would be considering this stuff. I think I will in the future though.

I own lots of softshell clothing for the work I do and I always wondered why no camo company didn't latch onto this type of material. Sitka Gear has.....

They would be my choice.

Been reading about the willow jungles that choke alot of valleys.In my readings of late guys are saying how tough the willow can be on rain gear. I have a sierra designs coat and rock water design pants,I am looking at upgrading but can't say whether this gear will be tough enough,or is there something that will stand up to the willows?
    I have the rock water designs pants... They will stand up to pretty much any of the willows... I've put mine through miles and miles of willows and buckbrush.

Most of the time I find that I don't even wear the rainpants anymore. I wear my North Face convertible pants instead. My legs get wet but they dry within 10 minutes next to a fire or when the rain stops. I hate slagging through the brush and being all sweaty from rain gear.

Layering is the key for me...

Carl

I wear my North Face convertible pants instead. My legs get wet but they dry within 10 minutes next to a fire or when the rain stops.
    I like your thinking. Too bad most trekking wear is so light and thin.
    i bought a pair of nylon tactical pants from Kelowna Surplus, Double knees and bum.

For rain gear I have always relied on Pioneer Wear tied behind the cantle for the heavy stuff. And carry HH impertech in the day pack, just for getting of the mountain.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I just roll the windows up and turn the wipers on.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

I have used everything in the past from pioneer, to lightweight shells of various brands, to HH impertech ..... and I finally bit the bullet last year when I bought the Arc Teryx Theta AR rain jacket in basalt colour. Its the best you can use. Its tough, keeps you dry, keeps the wind at bay, its nice and warm when you layer underneath for long glassing sessions or riding out the rain.....and its also $$$$. I am sure I won't be "grumblin" about the rain this year ..... unlike someone will !!!!

That said - I also own Rivers West which is bomb proof for moose / elk hunting and I still use HH impertech and Pioneer for those local hunts in the fall etc ....

But for mountain hunting - being comfortable, warm and dry when the weather turns on you will go a long ways to help you mentally ride out a hunt when your gear can.
    Last edited by BCrams; 07-10-2008 at 11:14 AM.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by BCrams View Post
    I have used everything in the past from pioneer, to lightweight shells of various brands, to HH impertech ..... and I finally bit the bullet last year when I bought the Arc Teryx Theta AR rain jacket in basalt colour. Its the best you can use. Its tough, keeps you dry, keeps the wind at bay, its nice and warm when you layer underneath for long glassing sessions or riding out the rain.....and its also $$$$. I am sure I won't be "grumblin" about the rain this year ..... unlike someone will !!!!
    Yes, but tops and bottoms of the Arc'teryx costs as much(if not more) as our entire trip up north.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Yes, but tops and bottoms of the Arc'teryx costs as much(if not more) as our entire trip up north.

SSS
    Point taken -- I can't afford the bottoms yet At least when the weather gets bad you're not allowed to complain about it.

Just buck up and keep hunting!!
    Last edited by BCrams; 07-10-2008 at 11:16 AM.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123 View Post
    I am sure you have heard of this (maybe not) but take a look at Sitka Gear
    http://www.sitkagear.com/

It appears they have some very good product lines. If I had not just ordered a complete set of wool camo, I would be considering this stuff. I think I will in the future though.

I own lots of softshell clothing for the work I do and I always wondered why no camo company didn't latch onto this type of material. Sitka Gear has.....

They would be my choice.
    Just checked out Sitka at Wholesale sports
    $850+ for a set of Down Pour and $500+ for a set of 90%
    Nice stuff I must say.I know you get what you pay for but....
    I will do more research.RB

Wow I didn't realize it was that pricey....

I have the full compliment of Arcteryx and I love the stuff. It is definitely the gear I use for sheep hunting. I carry a super light weight 3D jacket that I throw over top for the "stalk"...

If I have the chance, the next time I am in either Kamloops or Edmonton, I'll check out Wholesale Sports for their Sitka gear.