Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: bowhunting commite

Re: bowhunting commite

I support youth to harvest any deer (or whatever animal,elk,moose etc) with the appropriate weapon for that season.

Define "appropriate".
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Bows in bow season, firearms or bows in GOS.

Maybe I should also add I would like the kids that want to hunt with a bow to have the best possible chance to do so. Youth hunting with firearms in bow season have NOT affected my chance of harvesting an animal in bow only seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    Bows in bow season, firearms or bows in GOS.
    In other words - you want to remove youth opportunity by NOT allowing them to hunt with a rifle while the adults are using bows.

The kids who 'wish' to use the bow can do so.....as well as the kids who wish to use firearms. As you can clearly see - the support is there.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

BCR, with all the respect, I am not interested in a pissing match. I/we (I believe) would like to focus on constructive discussion.

The youth proposal made by bowhunters, which I alluded to earlier, goes beyond, when a youth can harvest and with what weapon, it provides incentive and opportunity through a unique tag/licence process that also provides a mentor greater opportunity to take young people hunting. Providing a season is one thing, providing something that actually allows it to happen is another.

Bottom line, we all support youth. It's pretty hard to have this discussion on here rather than face to face. I would like to think we can all just friggin accept that everyone supports youth as our starting place in any discussion. I'm getting a bit frustrated at the push back and accusations.

I have said, from personal experience, I have not been negatively impacted by youth rifle seasons during my bow only hunt. FD will constantly remind me of that statement should I tip over and forget, But I stand by that statement. I speak for myself in that observation. On a broader scale, I do have concerns about the precident it might set and the lack of respect for bow only it might spirit on in the future.

We have been over the youth proposal before, we propose a unique system that allows a young person an opportunity to purchase a youth "package" in spring, that provides for a bear and turkey tag (where seasons exist) for a nominal fee. This would include their license as well. They would not be hunting off of Dad's tags. We propose a youth Fall package, that would provide a youth with a turkey tag, bear tag and deer tag (conservation and species dependant) any deer (Doe or Buck). In our proposal, they would not be hunting off of Dad's tags.

Provided we can have some meaningful discussion and develop some standards over what type of adult can act as a mentor to the young person, they would not be required to take their CORE. Our philosophy is much the same as the high school biology teacher, "get them into the experience, get them into the field". If their interest is peeked enough, CORE will follow.

There is still discussion to be had if this is to move forward. Provincially we (collective we) are making gains for youth and no one would deny these opportunities. If you ask my opinion, do we have to respect bow only, the answer is yes. It serves a very real purpose. There are lots of opportunities we can create around the weapons opportunities/seasons we have. If you ask me if I am firm on that position, not at all. I'm open to everything and I would hope all hunters (not just bowhunters) are. We would like to see opportunities for youth that extend all season.

As bowhunters (you included) we all bring a unique perspective to the discussion. Respect first, success will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by BCrams View Post
    In other words - you want to remove youth opportunity by NOT allowing them to hunt with a rifle while the adults are using bows.

The kids who 'wish' to use the bow can do so.....as well as the kids who wish to use firearms. As you can clearly see - the support is there.
    If you guys intend to provide youth seasons and then do not free up the rest I think you may be better off doing us all a favor and screwing off!!!!

cause to give and then take away when the said youth reaches a certain age borders on torture...I hope you all have thought of that.

what is the point to create or inspire a number of new hunters and then....let them wait years for LEH and suffer restrictive open seasons?

If you want some moose hunters you better damn will have some moose hunting!!!!!
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

[quote=J_T;301991]BCR, with all the respect, I am not interested in a pissing match. I/we (I believe) would like to focus on constructive discussion.

The key to constructive discussions is to put the facts straight up on the table without sugar coating the real objectives.

I am very open to discussion, however when a simple question is stated, be blunt and answer straight up.

Example:

"UBBC / TBBC do not want youth to use firearms in a 'bow only' season and therefor have put together alternative ideas."

The youth proposal made by bowhunters, which I alluded to earlier, goes beyond, when a youth can harvest and with what weapon, it provides incentive and opportunity through a unique tag/licence process that also provides a mentor greater opportunity to take young people hunting. Providing a season is one thing, providing something that actually allows it to happen is another.

We should not limit youth. "when a youth can harvest and with what weapon" Allowing youth to choose the weapon of their choice from Sept. 1-9th provides more opportunity which will also extend into the GOS than having youth 'bow only' from Sept 1st to 9th.

Bottom line, we all support youth. It's pretty hard to have this discussion on here rather than face to face. I would like to think we can all just friggin accept that everyone supports youth as our starting place in any discussion. I'm getting a bit frustrated at the push back and accusations.

We all support it and I am sure you do also. A simple question: Do you support youth being able to use a firearm Sept 1-9th along with adults who are restricted to bow only and any youth who 'choose' to use a bow over firearm?

I have said, from personal experience, I have not been negatively impacted by youth rifle seasons during my bow only hunt. FD will constantly remind me of that statement should I tip over and forget, But I stand by that statement.

It doesn't affect me either and most other bow hunters I know and the poll clearly suggests it does not bother others as well!

The perfect foundation of 'support' for youth to hunt with what they wish.

I speak for myself in that observation. On a broader scale, I do have concerns about the precident it might set and the lack of respect for bow only it might spirit on in the future.

Now that is where 'you', 'myself' and 'others' will instil bow hunting with our kids. I plan to introduce both firearm and bow hunting to my kids. I have no worries whatsoever about any precident.

Those of us who own archery equipment are blessed with the most liberal of hunting seasons for a multitude of species and longer than those who hunt with rifles. Absolutly nothing to complain about!!

We have been over the youth proposal before, we propose a unique system that allows a young person an opportunity to purchase a youth "package" in spring, that provides for a bear and turkey tag (where seasons exist) for a nominal fee. This would include their license as well. They would not be hunting off of Dad's tags. We propose a youth Fall package, that would provide a youth with a turkey tag, bear tag and deer tag (conservation and species dependant) any deer (Doe or Buck). In our proposal, they would not be hunting off of Dad's tags.

I really like the idea of not hunting off Dad's tags. Those ideas can be simplified much more without a "package". ( we certainly do not need turkey 'tags' ). It would be easier to reduce licencing costs for youth for the licence book and tags (deer, bear, elk, moose or what have you).

However, a package rate with x number of tags and for different species cominations could work. For example, I don't hunt bear, so why would I want to pay for a package which includes a bear tag for my kids?

Provided we can have some meaningful discussion and develop some standards over what type of adult can act as a mentor to the young person, they would not be required to take their CORE. Our philosophy is much the same as the high school biology teacher, "get them into the experience, get them into the field". If their interest is peeked enough, CORE will follow.

I'm with you there!

If you ask my opinion, do we have to respect bow only, the answer is yes. It serves a very real purpose. There are lots of opportunities we can create around the weapons opportunities/seasons we have. If you ask me if I am firm on that position, not at all. I'm open to everything and I would hope all hunters (not just bowhunters) are. We would like to see opportunities for youth that extend all season.

So, you support youth hunting with any weapon of choice from Sept 1-9th? It is also a great opportunity to instil respect for those youth using firearms with those who bow hunt. Given the vastness of BC and hunting methods, I forsee very little conflict.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

"cause to give and then take away when the said youth reaches a certain age borders on torture...I hope you all have thought of that."

Hmmm I never even looked at it that way. I am not sure I would consider it torture however it is an interesting observation.

But if the youth are bow hunters, GOS is less restrictive.