View Poll Results: Vote the appropriate regional answer to the 3 pt elk season.

Voters
246. You may not vote on this poll
  • You live in Reg. 4 and are in favour of a 3 pt elk season if there is no conservation concern

29 11.79%
  • You live in Reg. 4 and are not in favour of a 3 pt elk season if there is no conservation concern

24 9.76%
  • You live outside of Reg. 4 and are in favour of a 3 pt elk season if there is no cons. concern

143 58.13%
  • You live outside of Reg. 4 and are not in favour of a 3 pt elk season if there is no cons. concern

50 20.33%
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New Poll on Reg. 4 elk hunting opportunity

Re: New Poll on Reg. 4 elk hunting opportunity

7 days spike or flat top.Nov.10 to Nov. 17.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

leave the elk the way it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    I love venison

I am seeing a few local Kootenay boys replying but not voting.

Even if you disagree with the poll questions and have other ideas, it still indicates you don't support the 3 point season.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by chevy View Post
    leave the elk the way it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Click on the poll that shows you live in the Koots and do not support a 3 pt season !!!

-- John Muir

One question.......What were the elk numbers like up north back before the Demarchi years?? Weren't the koots pretty much the only show in BC as far as elk goes?
    We now have a VERY robust population of elk up north(7A and 7B) . Couple a 3pt season in the EK with one up north and that heavy pressure can be spread out over a very large area.

Something to ponder............................................ ......

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

I'm adding this valuable tidbit to these threads for all to read:

There is another study that should be read, that was written by John Thornton of the Wildlife Branch:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/ds/docs/...onStrategy.pdf

One of his key findings:

"In general, wildlife managers should adopt a quantity over quality philosophy for deer, moose and elk. Hunting success is strongly related to continued participation, and there are far more hunters that are happy to shoot an average animal than there are hunters whose specific purpose is to bag a trophy. Really skilled hunters are capable of finding impressive animals if they put their minds to it, but hunters of lesser skill find their chances for success greatly limited by trophy management practices. Furthermore, managing for animals with impressive antlers pushes opportunity away from general open seasons and towards Limited Entry hunting, restricting participation even further."
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

I think 5 point is a more realistic option to start with...
    Thompson Center ProHunter - Owner/Operator

Level A Welder / Fabricator by Trade

Quote Originally Posted by BCrams View Post
    Brambles .... this coming from a guy who has a hard enough time trying to find a West Kootenay big buck??? Let alone spend your life trying to win a WK bull elk draw?

Wouldn't you like to see your son come home from his grade 1 or grade 2 (and onwards through school) class and say - "Hey kiddo, hop in the truck, lets go see if we can pop an elk."

That is not going to happen with that attitude of yours. The first year or two will indeed be busy but it won't be an outright slaughter. You know darn well what that country is like and how tough it is. Then it will die down as everyone starts going back to places that are easier to hunt elk.

No, I would prefer things to stay the same, maybe some increased LEH draws but I think opening up west kootenay LEH areas to general season is a bad idea. Just my opinion. May not be a popular one but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
    No, I would prefer things to stay the same, maybe some increased LEH draws but I think opening up west kootenay LEH areas to general season is a bad idea. Just my opinion. May not be a popular one but oh well.
    Its your opinion!!! However facts say that it won't be a bad thing!! Big difference!!

-- John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Seeadler View Post
    I am in Region 4 and I don't have any problem with a 3 point season. I am not convinced though that after a few years of a 3 point season that the whining won't start all over again about how 3 point bulls are too hard to find.

Best thing that could happen IMO is a wider 3 point season (into the WK) with a coinciding moose season of some sort to spread the pressure out.
    I don't think that will be a concern if the overall population stays up around 25,000. That means about 15,000 calves hit the ground every spring, about 30% of these survive to recruitment age, half are males and, half will be three points at 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 years old. Yearlings are the most expendible component of any ungulate population, that's why the spike/fork moose season has been sustainable in Regions 5 and 8, and will be in region 4 as well.
    I believe the biggest antler class to see increased harvested will be 5pts and there will be a dramatic resurgance in elk hunting interest.