Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Perfect shot?

Re: Perfect shot?

I agree with Will completely. Is this the entrance or exit hole, and where is the other one, assuming a pass through?

Good work anyway, looks like some fine table fare there for sure. And unless it was really close, a head shot is not always the wisest choice for more than one reason.........much better through the ribs.

I can't say it's a perfect shot, I can't say it is a good shot, I can say it's a decent shot. A little farther back would result in less meat damage. This being said with out seeing the other side.
    The perfect shot is the animal never hears the shot that killed it.

Tanya's hubby John here;

Gotta agree with hunter1947. This is a meat deer and 6 inches back would have wasted a lot less meat. Having said that, if this is someones first deer it was a lethal shot that probably put the deer down in its tracks so good work. Deer rarely stand perfectly broadside long enough for us to be as precise as we would always like.

in reality how much meat was actually wasted????

any quick clean kill is a great shot but I'de aim behind the shoulder.
    yep that's what I said

Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
    in reality how much meat was actually wasted????
    60% if it was a Nosler Partition .

The bonded bullets that we use now do result in less damage.

Sometimes, I've found that even a rib to rib shot will result in bloodshot between the layers if the animal does the 30 yard death run. I've taken to hitting my deer a bit higher and clipping the spine, or a neck shot, if the opportunity is there and the range is close. But, conditions need to permit that shot (less than 100 yards, a stationary deer, and a solid rest), and hunting situations don't always allow that "meat saver" shot to occur.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Sometimes, I've found that even a rib to rib shot will result in bloodshot between the layers if the animal does the 30 yard death run. I've taken to hitting my deer a bit higher and clipping the spine, or a neck shot, if the opportunity is there and the range is close. But, conditions need to permit that shot (less than 100 yards, a stationary deer, and a solid rest), and hunting situations don't always allow that "meat saver" shot to occur.
    And on the road.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by BCrams View Post
    And on the road.
    That's a given.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

If you are that worried about meat loss switch to a 30-30 or other similer sensibly moving round , stop useing ultra fast whizzbangers and and if you do make sure that the animal is 200m away so the bullet doesnt blow up.
    I think more meat is lost because people feel the need to go for these latest and greatest long range rounds when most of the hunting conditions are a sub 100M and the bullets very often cant take it.

meat loss in reality is inconsiquential as long as you can retrieve the animal .

I am more then willing to accept meat loss rather then animal loss

I would prefer a head shot to call it perfect(no meat loss).If he went down as fast as you say than close enough.