Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: regs on porcupines

Re: regs on porcupines

Put it in perspective - who here has had their vehicle destroyed by a porky? Not me, nor anyone I know. And many of our vehicles have spent weeks sitting in porky country while we were in the backcountry. You may get mauled by a grizzly bear too, but I wouldn't suggest shooting every one you see because of it.

I personally think porkies are cool animals and always enjoy seeing them in the bush. I also thinking you may as well eat your own tires as eat the porky - the taste and texture can't be too much different.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

They can definitley do some damage. I'm not sure about vehicle damage but my Uncle had issues with them on Kinbasket Lake on his trapline. They love the glue in plywood(walls of his cabin) and like axe handles as well. No shortage of little pincushions up there.

Now packrats, chipmunks and mice are a different issue. Love to chew on anything they can. Just had "something" chew through our water container on our sheep hunt. Have had them chew on bike seats and handles, bags.....pretty much anything you don't want them to chew.

I would never trust a packrat around my vehicle. Evil little ba$tards!!

SSS

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    I would never trust a packrat around my vehicle. Evil little ba$tards!!

SSS
    Maybe it was a packrat that got into the back of the Furd that night?

Biggest problem is a rodent nest under the hood of the truck - can you say engine fire?
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Put it in perspective - who here has had their vehicle destroyed by a porky? Not me, nor anyone I know. And many of our vehicles have spent weeks sitting in porky country while we were in the backcountry. You may get mauled by a grizzly bear too, but I wouldn't suggest shooting every one you see because of it.

I personally think porkies are cool animals and always enjoy seeing them in the bush. I also thinking you may as well eat your own tires as eat the porky - the taste and texture can't be too much different.

Happened to us back in '91 porky chewed the hell out of the hoses and lines under a couple trucks. Happened to a hunter up north when he left his truck to go sheep hunting. Met quite a few who have chicken wired their truck while they were off hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Maybe it was a packrat that got into the back of the Furd that night?

Biggest problem is a rodent nest under the hood of the truck - can you say engine fire?
    That would have one big pack rat!!

Did a tune-up on the "Turd" before heading north and found a mouse's nest in my air filter( Paper towel and witch's hair).Was probably reducing my airflow by 1/3 or so.

SSS

Once while tree planting I had my shovel handle chewed so bad on one side it went from being round to a "D shape. Also chewed threw two straps of my planting bags. Man was I choked, I told the owner I was going to shoot the little b****** and he told me to suck it up. The next day we came back and the Porky had chewed a 5 inch hole in the seat of the ATV that is left on site each night. He also sampled every fender, the brake cables, grips, gas cap. Basically everything that was not steel had some sort of chew marks. The damage varied. Man was the owner of the company choked, I told him to suck it up

BHB

I may have another chewy problem...

My truck runson vegetable oil. Used deep fryer oil, to be exact. Bears love the stuff. I'm terrified I may park it some day, and come back to find all the rubber fuel lines chewed through, and I've thought about gettign one of those little electric fences to surround my truck if I am away for a week or 2.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I have eaten a few porcupines back when they were not protected. The meat is a little stringy, but with some barbeque sauce it beats the hell out of marmot. Now that porcupines are pretty much protected, recent studies have suggested they are declining in numbers. The loss of pine forests is not going to help them much either. Now days, a lost hunter would have an easier time finding a phone booth in the bush than a porcupine to club and eat.