Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Controlled burns planned

Re: Controlled burns planned

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    560 hectares done. Met the objectives. Some smoke issues.. sorry Sawmill, Everett and all Kimberley people.. it will be clear again in a day or so
    Great too hear , keep it going .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Very encouraging to say the least.
    Every effort that helps enhance habitat....win, win, win.

Ironic that some still challenge/argue that creating and enhancing habitat is a waste of time.
    Some say that regulation changes will make a more positive impact on wildlife populations?
    This simply flies in the face of all science and quantified understandings of how to enhance wildlife populations.

Looks like we are are headed in the right direction these days!

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Very encouraging to say the least.
    Every effort that helps enhance habitat....win, win, win.

Ironic that some still challenge/argue that creating and enhancing habitat is a waste of time.
    Some say that regulation changes will make a more positive impact on wildlife populations?
    This simply flies in the face of all science and quantified understandings of how to enhance wildlife populations.

Looks like we are are headed in the right direction these days!
    The article posted makes it sound like its more about enhancement for cattle.

If cattle do benefit from it hopefully its coincidental, as cattle shouldn't even be in an ungulate's wintering area's.
    I dont have a problem with cattle grazing on crown land, but,, I wonder when a political genius will appear on the scene that realizes we need to identify critical wintering area's in the province and keep cattle out of these area's.

Wildfire mitigation work will be underway shortly in the North Okanagan.
    Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development is planning "ecosystem restoration burns" for the Satellite Hill and South Fork areas.
    The burns will take place between April 30 and May 14, however, only if conditions are suitable.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Hills to be set on fire

Darren Handschuh - Apr 28, 2018 / 10:09 am | Story: 224924

Photo: File photo
    Prescribed burns are planned for the Satellite Hill and South Fork areas.

Hills in the North Okanagan will be set on fire in the coming days to help restore ecosystems.

Prescribed burns are planned for the Satellite Hill and South Fork areas.

The burns, to be carried out by the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development, are scheduled to take place between April 30 and May 14. The exact timing will be dependent on weather and site conditions.

Burning will proceed only if conditions are suitable, and will allow for low-intensity to moderate-intensity fire and quick smoke dissipation.

Satellite Hill: 62 hectares, south of Highway 6 about six kilometres south of Lumby, in the Harris Creek area
    South Fork: 17 hectares, east of Highway 6 about 63 kilometres east of Lumby
    Crews will control and monitor the burns at all times and smoke may be visible from Lumby and other nearby communities for several days afterward.

Historically, the grasslands and open forests in the Okanagan were renewed through frequent, low-intensity ground fires. Such fires prevented tree encroachment, rejuvenated understory plants and maintained more open grasslands and open forests with large trees. The reintroduction of managed, low-intensity ground fires to these grasslands and open forests is intended to restore and maintain vegetation native to these areas.

In addition to ecosystem restoration, prescribed burns help reduce the risk of extreme wildfire behaviour by removing accumulations of combustible materials from the landscape.

To report a wildfire, unattended campfire or open burning violation, please call 1 800 663-5555 toll-free or *5555 on a cellphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Personally, I'm thrilled to see news about prescribed burns such as this and that with the PIB. I remember living in the Okanagan 15 years ago and people talking then about how dangerous the fuel load was becoming.. it's no wonder we had a summer like last from a loss perspective.

I'm curious on how an average guy helps an effort such as this? I wouldn't mind volunteering somehow so I can learn more.

^^^^great to see,...

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson017 View Post
    Personally, I'm thrilled to see news about prescribed burns such as this and that with the PIB. I remember living in the Okanagan 15 years ago and people talking then about how dangerous the fuel load was becoming.. it's no wonder we had a summer like last from a loss perspective.

I'm curious on how an average guy helps an effort such as this? I wouldn't mind volunteering somehow so I can learn more.
    Lobby your local district manager...and your local habitat biologist and your local rod and gun club to lobby also...
    Last edited by rocksteady; 04-28-2018 at 07:10 PM.
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main