Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: finally.

Re: finally.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Who says the SPCA's "rules" are bad? It's not bad to have a fenced yard or kennel run so your dog isn't killed on the highway or gets excited and runs out and nips the neighbour's kid. Some dogs aren't good with small children, so isn't it best to know that ahead of adopting a dog into a family with kids? The spaying/neutering requirement is a no-brainer when there are so many unwanted dogs put down every year because there just aren't enough good homes for them all.

The SPCA adopts thousands of great dogs into caring homes every year. It doesn't take much to meet their requirements, which I found to be common sense, practical things that any responsible dog owner should be doing in the first place.

You're just a rebel Andy.
    Did you sign a paper giving them permission to check on you and your companion's digs? A stout chain will keep a dog safe tell them your gonna chain the dog up...... I bet that won't fly.

if anybody has a line on a good pup down south and are heading to the FSJ area for hunt this year let me know. willing to pay for a good dog.

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Did you sign a paper giving them permission to check on you and your companion's digs? A stout chain will keep a dog safe tell them your gonna chain the dog up...... I bet that won't fly.
    That's a crappy life dragging a chain around all day. A dog on a chain all day will most likely dig holes, bark all day, dump his water/food, walk in his $hit, and bolt when he's off the chain. A dog is much happier kenneled, fenced, or in the house guarding it while you're at work. Dogs who have the freedom of being able to run around a bit instead of the 10 feet of their chain will be much better adjusted and a pleasure to own. They need to be able to amuse themselves and burn off some energy to keep from getting bored and destructive.

I'll also highly recommend some professional training for your new pup. The training is as much for you as it is for the dog. Firm and consistent, and he'll learn fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

trained horses and cow dogs most of my life. like to do it myself. bad expierences from so called pros.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    That's a crappy life dragging a chain around all day. A dog on a chain all day will most likely dig holes, bark all day, dump his water/food, walk in his $hit, and bolt when he's off the chain. A dog is much happier kenneled, fenced, or in the house guarding it while you're at work. Dogs who have the freedom of being able to run around a bit instead of the 10 feet of their chain will be much better adjusted and a pleasure to own. They need to be able to amuse themselves and burn off some energy to keep from getting bored and destructive.

I'll also highly recommend some professional training for your new pup. The training is as much for you as it is for the dog. Firm and consistent, and he'll learn fast.

Like I said Uber Alles.

Daycort, agreed, some trainers are much much better than others. You have experience, so you're good to go with getting a pup to respond. Anyone else who is checking out trainers, be sure to ask for references.

Horshur, Uber Tubers!
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

For a farm dog I would have a Heeler. For an all around family dog I would have a Lab or Golden Retriever hands down. If you do end up going for a Retriever breed make sure that hips and eyes are certified for both parents. Too many dogs have hip and eye problems. It would be tough to tell the wife and kid that you have to put down a gimped dog.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

heelers are to aggresive and lets say energetic unless they have a job to do. labs seem to like are shoes as kids. i liked are collie lab that we had. she had a blind date with a ikeda bear dog. they were tuff dogs and smart as all hell.

well i think we got it down to a bernese mountain dog. the spca in fsj was a joke. does anyone have info on this dog? any known breeders? some info would help.

This lil girl Kysa, puts up more grouse than the now trained weimeraner beside her and all the labs my friends own lol.
    I remember 3 years ago in January steelhead fishing the Gold, torrential downpour, wind in our face, she suddenly bolted back left, trotted into the timber about 40 yards and put up 2 grouse. I have NO idea how she smelled those. But she does it time and time again.
    And shes always ready to go hunting
    She requires a minimum of 1 hour of unconfined crazy exercise every day.

I definitely wouldnt say all purebreds are overbred. Shes smarter than most people.

Bernese are nice dogs, there was a few in obedience class and I really liked them. Maybe because they remind me of the 2 saint bernards I had growing up, but they were well behaved and clumisly playfull.
    Last edited by BlacktailStalker; 08-28-2007 at 11:03 AM.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny