Thread: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comments.

Threaded View

Re: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comment

Every situation is different and bear body language is determining factor. Had 10ft stand-off with big bear and no need to shoot. Griz charging and gets closer than 20yds with no indication of slowing down trigger gets pulled. If see before sees you and far enough away....carefully, quietly pull out and avoid. If close range and moving and not seen you just hold up/crouch and wait for it to move on....but be ready. If on a kill back off quietly...NOW. If stumble on kill be ready to shoot. Have had fair number of run-ins both with and without gun. One time out in large cutblock 250yds from tree line and no gun....late fall. Griz at about 40yds coming up spine of ridge towards me but hadn't seen me. Strong wind towards me and not many options....only seconds to make choice. Crouched down and moved just off to side of ridge about 5yds figuring he would stick to spine....got behind bigger stump and lay flat watching. Griz kept coming and just before got to me he started sidehilling draw and passed by at about 10yds. I carefully shifted around stump to stay hidden. Passed right by. Hit my track uphill about 20 yds and stopped dead.....sniffed ground, and looked around....then followed my trail up to tree line from where I came out of bush. Was lucky wind was in my favour and saw him when I did. For no reason I can explain he dropped off that ridge and skirted right round me. Was lucky that day for sure. Just trying to point out how every situation is different....if I had made noise and waived arms etc, likely would have been entirely different outcome as I didnt have gun. Bear was in hunt mode and looking to fatten up for winter.
    Last edited by northof49; 01-22-2018 at 09:20 PM.
    …..better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.