Page 41 of 67 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitetail doe season... is it time to take end it?

Re: Whitetail doe season... is it time to take end it?

Why the fight back and forth folks?
    What's it accomplishing?
    One thing that is becoming apparent to me, regardless of where you stand, be it wolves or habitat as an underlying issue, or bad hunting regs, or not enough regs etc:

We don't have very much "Accounting"(aerial flyovers) going on, on an annual basis.

Looks like there are some "collaring projects" going on, on Moose and Wolves and Elk these days, which is something I think we need to do a lot of, to understand the situations as it pertains to what is happening in this region or that one etc....I think it is really important moving forward for all of us hunters.
    But we also need more "Accounting" happening for conservation and the future of hunting as well.
    Then we might all know what fits where as far as Regs.

I think FD is the closest to having is wishes fulfilled, as I think more of this province is going to burn, regardless of where the money gets spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Sorry, didn't see it first time.

Days/kill is basically flat since 2010. Average since 2010 = 22, with a high of 26 and low of 20.

Average since 1987 is, go figure, 23 days. Looks like does give hunters just as much challenge as the buck only season. Could be why the naysayers can't find a doe in a cutblock and assume they are all dead.
    Thanks for this.
    Last edited by Iltasyuko; 01-28-2018 at 02:44 PM.
    The World is run by those that show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Sorry, didn't see it first time.

Days/kill is basically flat since 2010. Average since 2010 = 22, with a high of 26 and low of 20.

Average since 1987 is, go figure, 23 days. Looks like does give hunters just as much challenge as the buck only season. Could be why the naysayers can't find a doe in a cutblock and assume they are all dead.
    Are you saying it takes 20 some days hunting to kill a white tail doe?

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    That is what the hunter card survey says. It’s not a given - I remember guys in LEH days having a hard time getting it done on a WT doe.

Quote Originally Posted by Iltasyuko View Post
    That is what the hunter card survey says. It’s not a given - I remember guys in LEH days having a hard time getting it done on a WT doe.
    Really they had a hard time in the LEH days

Had a few region 8 WT doe draws as a kid 2 day road hunt with my dad is all it took each time. Does got too smart for that after second the 2 year of gos and now they act like bucks.

But I have run into lots of guys who go looking for WT in MD habitat and wonder why they don’t see them lol

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    You're telling us you can't even find one, so yes, 20 days for a good hunter who applies himself is about right.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    There was a time not long ago when all hunters had to do is throw a lunch together and head out and enjoy the day seeing deer as they walked along. The rut lines and tracks were everywhere.
    Now it seems that you and many others need to run 20 trails cameras and put out licks and feed all season to have he same success. Ask yourself, how good is it really?
    Talk about the gutter...
    Aweome job, Al! This post has to be in the top 5 all-time arrogant posts that I've read in my 12 years here on HBC.

You've set the bar high.

Here's a tip to a happier life......once you stop worrying about what other people are doing, life becomes a lot more simple.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Aweome job, Al! This post has to be in the top 5 all-time arrogant posts that I've read in my 12 years here on HBC.

You've set the bar high.

Here's a tip to a happier life......once you stop worrying about what other people are doing, life becomes a lot more simple.

SSS
    That is how you read the post? Really? Not how I intrupret what he was saying. What I read he was saying is, if you put bait and cameras out, you are intrupreting there are lots of deer because of what you see on the camera. Hard to ID does from the trail cam, but pretty easy to ID bucks. You have 8 different bucks on your cam, you think, man, things are pretty darn good out there. If there are 8 bucks here in this little place, the forest must be crawling with them. What is missing from this assessment is you might have caught the only 8 bucks in the whole forest on your camera. Why? Because you attracted them there with your bait. You are the reason they are showing up on the camera. Go for a hike, pound the bush like the old time hunters and you find a different story. Low sightings, not many rubs and scrapes, not a lot of tracks where you should be seeing tracks. That, I believe, is what the poster was getting at. Sit on a bait pile long enough you'll see some deer in daylight hours. Actually your cams will tell you just when you need to be sitting as whitetails are pretty predictable. So if they keep on coming in at 3:00 pm, then you don't really need to sit long do ya? But you are deceiving yourself if you think the entire forest has the same amount of deer as you liile bait location. Attractants are just that, Attractants. They attract critters from miles around.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Yes. And gotta say that 20 some days to kill a female deer seems like a hell of a long time regardless if it was under LEH or GOS. Maybe the laws of averaging are playing into that stat a bit - sure hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post

Had a few region 8 WT doe draws as a kid 2 day road hunt with my dad is all it took each time. Does got too smart for that after second the 2 year of gos and now they act like bucks.

But I have run into lots of guys who go looking for WT in MD habitat and wonder why they don’t see them lol
    One area I work and hunt, the does got smart on day 2 of the first GOS. About 4 were killed on opening day and I never saw another one that entire fall. Had seen numerous does daily all year leading up to the season. Working daily in the same ground, it wasn't until Jan that they felt safe enough to show themselves again.