Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Mule Deer Restrictions

Re: Mule Deer Restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Your grammar sucks.

Have you been in to see your MLA yet?
    Not worried about grammar on a hunting forum

All I had to do was talk to my MLA and everything would be solved ?

Been up to a lot more then talking to my MLA lol

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    I don't see any increased bag limits for mule deer or longer seasons. Some major changes that would effect mule deer populations would be the addition of a trapping season on wolves, an added general season on wolves, extended cougar seasons and more motor vehicle restrictions to name a few. This is a province wide regulation but lets stay with your example of region 8, I don't know the hunter numbers but it sounds like there is many so if those same hunters choose to harvest their one buck in region 8, how is this area going to change at all. Besides if buck to doe ratio is fine how is not shooting surplus bucks increasing the deer pops. I still fail to see how your comment about no reg changes have been made for the betterment of mule deer pops is warranted.
    Surplus bucks depend on the management theory being followed

Some theories believe keeping a ratio close to 1:10 so you don’t have too many bucks on the winter range using feed that could be used for fawns. Leaving enough bucks to breed

Other theories believe a ratio at a min of 1:5 so does are bred early in the rut. This results in fawns born earlier and get a longer growing period before winter. This creates stronger young that are more likely to survive the winter

Both theories are biased of of scientific studies and facts.

So what is the surplus?

Quote Originally Posted by Islander30 View Post
    I wasn't arguing with anyone, I was just saying that when guys say they hunt to feed their familes I don't think they necessarily mean their families would starve if they didn't hunt. I personally am fine with any and all reasons guys use for hunting, and yes even "trophy" hunting, absolutley nothing wrong with trophy hunting in my opinion, especially for grizzly bears...lol !
    Islander30
    I got what you meant, thanks, "feeding your families" is still as valid today as it was 20-50 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    Hunted since 72' and still getting out there.
    Take a look at Region 8 in the past 15 years, look for the Major Changes in that section. How does that look to you?
    Increased Regional bag limits, longer seasons, ect. Then ask yourself what percentage of the BC hunters hunt in 8?

I am fully aware that the regs. changes will not fix the decline single handedly, but I have a hard time with the lack of conservative thinking
    with our present condition.

Regs. History:
    http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/acat/publi...reportId=22560
    Average mule deer hunters in the 1990s in region 8 = 12,464 with any buck Sep 10 - Nov 15. Bag limit = 1. Archery was 10 days longer than it is now, late season started on Nov 16 through the rut.

Average mule deer hunters in region 8 the last 10 years = 11,241 with 4 pt Sep 10 - 30, any buck Oct 1 to 31, 4 pt Nov 1 - 10. Bag limit = 1.

What were you saying about increased limits and longer seasons and more hunters?
    Last edited by Fisher-Dude; 01-14-2018 at 08:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    This thread is about mule deer regulation changes. A whitetail regulation in a state with 15x the hunter density and with only a species or two to hunt has little correlation to this thread....and that is sugar-coating it.

Mule deer regulation changes will do nothing to help mule deer numbers. It may 'slightly' increase the buck to doe ratios but that's about it but it won't grow more deer. It may also decrease the hunting pressure which is purely a social issue...and what the Region 3 mule deer hunter survey that hunters wanted.

Shutting the mule deer buck hunt down completely will achieve the same effect.

SSS
    Your correct on a complete shut down, it things like Winery High Fences that corridor game though winter range that probably do more damage.

Something to consider with the talk of surplus bucks

Alberta mule deer ratios in many MUs are ranging around 1:3. No doubt a different opinion on what surplus bucks being used in there management plan. You start searching you will find many places outside of BC keeping higher ratios

So surplus bucks truly seems to be no more then the management theory being used

It does not seem that any of these management plans BCs included limit the effects of winter kill under tough winter conditions

So surplus bucks as many here preach is no more then the opinion of the management plan being used

Bownut is from Kelowna.

I was at a presentation by Andrew Wilkinson in town today who spoke about wildlife sustainability and his commitment to it. As it turns out, I was the only hunter in the room asking about the real changes that will help our fish and wildlife, and getting our point across about the habitat work necessary to achieve it. I think bownut should have been there instead of staying home snuggling with the hunting regulations synopsis.

If hunters want to improve things, they'll have to get off their asses and get engaged with their MLAs and candidates, and tell them what we want. Sitting and bitching on here about hunting regulations won't improve anything.

On the bright side, Andrew really "gets it" and is committed to what we want to do. He asked good questions of me and also explained to the rest of the room how hunters are the real conservationists.
    Hey Pat when I start having meetings with the Kelowna Fish and Game Club, I will be inviting them all to the sit down. Until then I will be working on some Projects for 2018. Projects like Burns, Corridor
    Study, Forestry Practice, user Group Awareness Packages..Ect. So carry on being a D...k and keep sitting in that camp M.Hall speaks of.

I went to Jesse's Town Hall Meetings and sat and listen to what had to be said, I said what I had to say and thats it. My question ,if you were listening was "What are we going to do to be more Proactive, so we
    don't have to look at our Bios when they are left to pick up the pieces".

A bit of history here Pat, I was a Regional Rep. when you were playing in the woods. I sat in on meetings shoulder up to some of your founding club reps. Ron Taylor and I pushed for the same issues
    that you seem to think are new.

So next time think before you speak.

Average mule deer hunters in the 1990s in region 8 = 12,464 with any buck Sep 10 - Nov 15. Bag limit = 1. Archery was 10 days longer than it is now, late season started on Nov 16 through the rut.

Average mule deer hunters in region 8 the last 10 years = 11,241 with 4 pt Sep 10 - 30, any buck Oct 1 to 31, 4 pt Nov 1 - 10. Bag limit = 1.

What were you saying about increased limits and longer seasons and more hunters?
    And what about the Access to these areas during these seasons. Could less hunters be getting to more areas?
    It's a bigger than it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Something to consider with the talk of surplus bucks

Alberta mule deer ratios in many MUs are ranging around 1:3. No doubt a different opinion on what surplus bucks being used in there management plan. You start searching you will find many places outside of BC keeping higher ratios

So surplus bucks truly seems to be no more then the management theory being used

It does not seem that any of these management plans BCs included limit the effects of winter kill under tough winter conditions

So surplus bucks as many here preach is no more then the opinion of the management plan being used
    Alberta has management objectives that are totally different from BC.

Interesting to note that when I read some of Alberta's composition surveys that the fawn:doe ratios were down around the 30:100 level, a level teetering on the edge of a rapid population decline. Buck:doe ratios were higher than fawn:doe ratios in those instances.

People that want to see a bunch of bucks are happy with high buck:doe ratios. People that want to see robust and growing populations want to see high fawn:doe ratios.

Depends what your objective is - putting a 180 on the ground or wildlife herd health and sustainability.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Bownut

From seeing pics posted here on HBC and hearing from others predators in your area seem to be benefiting and utilizing the deer fences to increase their impact on deer.

I hope the corridor study is going to involve this issue

As for Pat he seems to forget lots of non Fed hunters are involved in wildlife