Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Mule Deer Restrictions

Re: Mule Deer Restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by JG75 View Post
    Exactly! I am praying they dont take away late archery season. Ive been bowhunting for 3 years and Ive never gotten anything but it is still my favorite hunt of the year! Its the best time to get out there. Its quiet you dont ever run into "Truck Hunters" and stalking deer while they are rutting is by far the funnest time Ive ever had out in the woods.
    Yup, now we understand your motivations. See my post above on the million dollar answer.

Once you step in dog shit, your shoe stinks even after you wipe it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

[/QUOTE]Mule deer are growing in numbers in many places in the province right now and you want an LEH? Is it because you want to hopefully get a draw and have little competition? The best of biologists certainly don't recommend anything like this in the proposed changes (which you can still comment on). Why do people continue to ignore the science and the experts? Million dollar question....[/QUOTE]

I could care less if I get that draw, I've never gotten an LEH before and I apply every year. But if they're going to take away some of Mule Deer season wouldn't an LEH draw bring in more revenue. More Revenue=more research More Research=Better Idea of muley populations? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see it being a bad idea at all

JG75 yes it looks like they're going to eliminate some of the GOS mule deer opportunities but pretty limited in my estimation. They're proposing a one mule deer limit province wide, some shorter seasons etc. That's a far cry from going straight to a limited entry hunt. Look, if a limited entry hunt would help the numbers I'm all ears but it just won't. If we were in some kind of crisis situation sure, that would be the next logical step. But we're not. I'm going to go looking for an excellent presentation that was posted here by a bio from the states (where they're wildlife budgets are HUGE) on the driving factors of mule deer numbers, and I'll re post it here. Spoiler alert- hunting is at the bottom of the list....

edit- OK here it is. I urge everyone to sit down and watch this presentation when they've got some time its somewhat lengthy. But well worth the effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNOH...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Salty; 01-12-2018 at 10:54 AM.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Just some thoughts and observations, long time lurker, infrequent poster.

Many hunters believe that cause of the mule deer decline is due to wolves.
    Many of these hunters want the gov't to do something about these wolves.

Objectively, wouldn't wildlife management practices suggest and open and liberal season on wolves?

Region 4 you can hunt wolves 9.5 months of the year. Bag limit is either 3 or NBL.

Now, consider the opposite scenario, if mule deer populations were so big they were impacting other species, would hunters advocate for more liberal hunting seasons or would they complain to the gov't to do some thing about it (mule deer cull?)?

I guess what I'm trying to point out is that if wolves are believed to the be the issue, I hope those passionate about it are trying to do what they can (hunt wolves) to be part of the solution. If every mule deer hunter killed 3 or more wolves every year, and wolves were the silver bullet to the problem, then we should have a booming population in a few years time right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Yup, now we understand your motivations. See my post above on the million dollar answer.

Once you step in dog shit, your shoe stinks even after you wipe it off.
    My motivations are to hunt Mule deer with a bow, like thousands of other hunters in this province. How is any of that for my"personal gain"? I just proposed an IDEA for a LEH, does that make me right? Not neccesarily. All i meant was if you are going to add more restrictions on Mule deer why not have an LEH in regions where populations arent hurting so much. I'm confused why Im getting all this hate for adding to the discussion? I thought maybe this was a place where you could get away from cynical assholes but theyre everywhere online i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenaihunter View Post
    Just some thoughts and observations, long time lurker, infrequent poster.

Many hunters believe that cause of the mule deer decline is due to wolves.
    Many of these hunters want the gov't to do something about these wolves.

Objectively, wouldn't wildlife management practices suggest and open and liberal season on wolves?

Region 4 you can hunt wolves 9.5 months of the year. Bag limit is either 3 or NBL.

Now, consider the opposite scenario, if mule deer populations were so big they were impacting other species, would hunters advocate for more liberal hunting seasons or would they complain to the gov't to do some thing about it (mule deer cull?)?

I guess what I'm trying to point out is that if wolves are believed to the be the issue, I hope those passionate about it are trying to do what they can (hunt wolves) to be part of the solution. If every mule deer hunter killed 3 or more wolves every year, and wolves were the silver bullet to the problem, then we should have a booming population in a few years time right?
    The problem is...the ministry should be dealing with the Pred issue.
    But, it is left undone due to "social/voter issues", so the only real avenue is for trappers to get it done, thus the other thread that is really taking off here on the site.
    Hunting wolves is hard, and it looks like you hunt in the kootenays, so, you can understand that some of the wolves are basically "untouchable" due to road restrictions or proximity to parks, and thus further protection from hunting etc.
    It is just plain hard for hunters to hunt wolves and expect decent positive results.
    That's the big issue, and government won't touch it, but instead, looks for ways like they always have for years, which is just throw us hunter more regulations and restrictions....which, we all know by now, isn't working to well.
    The problems are the ones the ministry is won't help to correct...wolves and habitat.

My motivations are to hunt Mule deer with a bow, like thousands of other hunters in this province. How is any of that for my"personal gain"? I just proposed an IDEA for a LEH, does that make me right? Not neccesarily. All i meant was if you are going to add more restrictions on Mule deer why not have an LEH in regions where populations arent hurting so much. I'm confused why Im getting all this hate for adding to the discussion? I thought maybe this was a place where you could get away from cynical assholes but theyre everywhere online i guess.
    Just so you know...you would have had 100% of my support, if you had just said that the late season bow should have been left and not removed.
    You also have to understand, not all areas have major mule deer declines, and some are actually doing better.
    The issue is some areas are seeing a decline, BUT, it's not due to hunting.
    It's other factors, but in the end, we have to restrict ourselves to help those areas that are low, because the ministry wont address the real issues.
    So, when you put forth LEH ideas, you are going to see/hear a strong backlash, especially when it is not even close to being necessary, and, understand that not all areas are bad...not at all.
    If we open all the Regions to the same dates etc, atleast we will see less crowding in some areas, at some times, but that all.
    Addressing the real issues is what we have to get across to the government, and for them to start taking the right steps to help the issues we see today....not take away opportunities like you bow hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Just so you know...you would have had 100% of my support, if you had just said that the late season bow should have been left and not removed.
    You also have to understand, not all areas have major mule deer declines, and some are actually doing better.
    The issue is some areas are seeing a decline, BUT, it's not due to hunting.
    It's other factors, but in the end, we have to restrict ourselves to help those areas that are low, because the ministry wont address the real issues.
    So, when you put forth LEH ideas, you are going to see/hear a strong backlash, especially when it is not even close to being necessary, and, understand that not all areas are bad...not at all.
    If we open all the Regions to the same dates etc, atleast we will see less crowding in some areas, at some times, but that all.
    Addressing the real issues is what we have to get across to the government, and for them to start taking the right steps to help the issues we see today....not take away opportunities like you bow hunt.
    Okay, thanks for the educated and non hostile reply. I had never meant to say mule deer should be strictly LEH access only but also let me bow hunt them whenever I want, but i guess it kinda came out that way.
    I never took crowding into consideration but that makes a ton of sense, you take away R8 but R5 stays the same? you are gonna get a huge influx of hunters and harvests in R5.
    Last time I spoke to a CO at a gamecheck he told me they took away 3 bucks that day because guys didn't tag the region or tagged the wrong region so they could hunt in the same region again. So if we all have to "suffer" for that so be it. I want to see a healthy population for generations to come.
    I also found it funny how here in Kelowna they posted yesterday "Deer populations in decline" than this morning they posted "Urban deer problem". I guess thats proof that its more likely loss of habitat being the issue(also there is no wolves in the city lol).
    So you seem to be more informed on the issue than I. What is the most effective way I can help with the situation right now?

Okay, thanks for the educated and non hostile reply. I had never meant to say mule deer should be strictly LEH access only but also let me bow hunt them whenever I want, but i guess it kinda came out that way.
    I never took crowding into consideration but that makes a ton of sense, you take away R8 but R5 stays the same? you are gonna get a huge influx of hunters and harvests in R5.
    Last time I spoke to a CO at a gamecheck he told me they took away 3 bucks that day because guys didn't tag the region or tagged the wrong region so they could hunt in the same region again. So if we all have to "suffer" for that so be it. I want to see a healthy population for generations to come.
    I also found it funny how here in Kelowna they posted yesterday "Deer populations in decline" than this morning they posted "Urban deer problem". I guess thats proof that its more likely loss of habitat being the issue(also there is no wolves in the city lol).
    So you seem to be more informed on the issue than I. What is the most effective way I can help with the situation right now?
    Sorry if some comments were hostile sounding...that's something that happens quite often on forums.
    Sometimes it would be nice to discuss stuff face to face, as then it is easier to not always feel like some people are being jerks...it's something I had to get used to when I 1st came on here as well.
    When R5 shut down during Nov 10-20, it made a huge impact on the numbers of hunter close to R5 in R3!! big time!
    That's the problem with shutting down an area,
    Honestly, if things get bad in an area, most hunters just go somewhere else.
    Sometimes, some areas just have a drop in #'s for a time, and then a few years later, game shows up again...not sure why, but there usually is some factors, like long winters, so large winter kill offs etc...stuff like that.
    As for deer in Kelowna. well I have seen the same with deer around Cache Creek...it seems like they rather take their chances around humans, then hang out around the wolves, and the wolves try to avoid humans.
    Think there is a study on that, that actually shows that there is some validity to what I just said.
    Have a good one...cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    If you have information on someone illegally using another's tag, report it instead of bitching on HBC.

We raised with the CO Service the issue of youth seasons and the jealous "hunters" who accuse the kids' dads of shooting the deer. At all levels, the CO Service has responded that this is not a problem and that their patrols, stings, and data shows that it isn't happening as the jealous are portraying it.

So, although we have grumpy geezers crying about a 12 year old kid shooting "his" deer, in the end it is just bitching by grumpy geezers that need something to bitch about. And here we thought youth were the "entitled generation."
    Bitching, report what don't have a clue what your talking about, as usual twisting things all around. Its quit sad really how you try to drive hunters away.
    Can see by responses that others no what was being said.
    If one mule deer is going to stop you and others from helping out new hunters that's your choice. There is many of us out there that are not concerned about
    having to be the one pulling the trigger and would gladly give up our tags to others to use in the legal regulations that are provided. For many its about helping
    others not thinking of ones self.