Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hunting mule deer in heavy brush

Re: Hunting mule deer in heavy brush

Quote Originally Posted by Looking_4_Jerky View Post
    I'm not surprised to hear that you had better success road hunting than walking. Under most conditions, I would expect that. Most hunters don't like it, and you certainly don't get the quality of hunt, but deer seem to be less averse to the sound of motorized vehicles than they are to the sound of footsteps, especially if there's any crunching going on. In the thick, finding an active travel corridor and sitting is about as good a plan as any, again especially if conditions are loud. If you're able to get around quietly, as almost everyone has advised, GO SLOW.

Watched deer many times wait in the bush out of sight and cross after vehicles pass. I have completely different opinion than yours when it comes to vehicle vs foot noise especially with mule deer. If you are on a steady pace walk yes the clue in because animals don't walk like that. If you are slow few steps and stop I find mule deer very forgiving and at times their curiosity will cause them to seek out what is making the foot steps

Mule deer have a natural flaw other deer species don't as well they will actually stand their ground and fight off predators at times. When it comes to man and they debate this tactic not knowing what you are they often offer a shot opportunity.

The only advantage road hunting has is the ability to cover ground. Instead of hunting a handful of deer you can drive through enough areas that can hold over 100. If you lack knowledge of an area and are not good hunting on foot road hunting may very well be the better option

Thank you for all the great comments so far, I have been reading them with interest. I am appreciative to everyone who takes the time to share some advice with me. Already, some of my mistakes are becoming clear.

I had one followup question: if I come across fresh tracks in the snow, and the brush is not to thick, should I follow after them? For how long? I came across some that were no more than 30 minutes old as I had previously been through the area, and unlike the first incident I mentioned, this animal was headed down hill in old growth that I could see about 30 meters ahead. Should I follow tracks like these for an hour or two?

Cheers!

my trick is to set a max number of paces (count every second step) based on my assessment of the area...I have a max of 20 paces (even on a road) before doing the full look around and often as low as 2 or 3 paces ....when following a mulie along a game trail, they often like to find a spot to hook around and look back at you..In my experience, they will often find a small opening and hide on the other side of it to look for you....so if I am coming to a thick spot on the edge of a small clearing (as it tends to be on the edge of a clearing) try to find a spot to look across the clearing before going through the thick stuff into full view...

Quote Originally Posted by Five View Post
    Thank you for all the great comments so far, I have been reading them with interest. I am appreciative to everyone who takes the time to share some advice with me. Already, some of my mistakes are becoming clear.

I had one followup question: if I come across fresh tracks in the snow, and the brush is not to thick, should I follow after them? For how long? I came across some that were no more than 30 minutes old as I had previously been through the area, and unlike the first incident I mentioned, this animal was headed down hill in old growth that I could see about 30 meters ahead. Should I follow tracks like these for an hour or two?

Cheers!
    It never hurts....
    If anything, if you are in a "rutting area" (as I like to call it), you will learn some of their pattersns.
    Whether you come across the deer, buck, is always hard to know.
    Sometimes you will find that that buck was on a b-line for miles, and still going, without stop, haeding to somewhere he knows he will find Doe's.
    Other times yo might be figuring out his bedding areas, where he goes during the daylight hours to hunker down, which can be thick as hell, and the chances of getting close can be really hard. that's why he is in there.
    But, then you might run in to him, not far away, with a doe in heat, or just mingling with some other does.
    In this case, now you have more eyes and ears on you.....just happened to me this weekend.
    The best times are when a buck just ends up crossing paths with yours.....those are the easiest hunts with success.
    2nd is a buck who is hassling a doe in heat.
    Getting to them in their beds....probably the hardest hunting.
    As for running down fresh tracks.....some have had some real success....even getting some real big trophy bucks
    that way.
    But knowing where deer like to travel during the day, is always good knowledge, and sometimes the only way is to
    explore/follow tracks.
    Hardest part I always had was....it's easy to follow the tracks in snow when they are single tracks, but once these tracks lead into a maze of other deer tracks....I find it sometimes hard to figure out which ones I was just following.
    Truth is, the more you get out there, the better you chances...but yes, getting to learn what helps/works is what
    you are striving for....
    There were lots of times I have sat for hours in an area....and nothing happens.
    Then, it only takes that one minute to change everything.
    That's why there is so much variance/opinions, that are different to each hunter who has posted, and their own
    personal experience.
    I walk slowly, in an area that I know holds deer, but sometimes the bucks are around, and other times their not, but you want to be around Does, and where they like to hang is first and foremost.
    I sit at times as well, to slow things down again, to let the area quiet down, I do my best to be quiet when walking,
    but, you are always going to make a sound here and there.
    I usually see a legal buck at some point, and usually have enough opportunity to take one, if I want.
    So, I know what works .....for me.
    If your young...follow the tracks to learn.
    When you get older....it's not that easy to find that "little extra" to do that any longer.....
    Or a lot less

Must have been up pretty high to see 18 inches of the white stuff

Deer is really curious animal..ill see doe watcing my hunting buddy making camp fire..it was almost pich dark..little snow i was walking towards to camp.and was really suprise to see that.

Make sure you get out this weekend it is right in there for best date in November rut hunt. Been hunting 3:28 for 24 years consecutively.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by slicky72 View Post
    Must have been up pretty high to see 18 inches of the white stuff

24" at 3800' last weekend north of Kamloops.