Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: "dink rams"

Re: "dink rams"

I started this thread because I hope guys dont get too affected by the ego's that can come up on this and other sites. I dont consider myself an expert sheep hunter but I have hunted sheep for the last 9 yrs. Last year my brother and I found an old, heavily broomed, small stones ram and before I decided to shoot I commented "I wonder what other sheep guys will say". He looked at me funny and said "who gives a ****, its up to you". He was right, although he is a small 11yr old ram, he was just as hard to get as the first two and he will look great on the wall with the rest.
    I get a little put off when I read comments like "I passed up bucks that most guys would give their left nut for" or a nice story about shooting a 3 pt muley and then adding the disclaimmer "it was the smallest buck I have ever shot by far". This comes from guys who are trying to be helpful, and I am not trying to attack anyone, I just think no one is questioning your hunting prowess so leave the egos out. I once met a fellow novice sheep hunter and he told me "oh ya I could have shot tons of legal rams but they werent good enough for me". Thats fine but I didnt ask for the ego saver. I have hunted sheep so I understand how hard it is to get one. I dont know about the rest of you sheep hunters but me and the guys I have hunted sheep with have never seen "tons of legal rams". Hopefully other hunters will shoot what is legal and they are happy with, and not worry about the ego's of others. JMHO

I used to work with a fellow that had a habit of denigrating everyone's "trophies". You could pretty much count on him to comment on someone else's buck with a dismissive "nice meat buck". It rubbed a lot of nerves raw.

Then, one year said fellow made a concerted effort to bag a bighorn ram. He put in a fair bit of time and effort scouting, and opening day he put one on the ground. When the time came for compulsory inspection, however, MOE did not agree with the fellow's assessment of legality, and rightfully siezed the ram.

To answer your original question...THAT was a "dink ram".

lol Sometimes karma is a bitch.
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by mod7rem View Post
    I started this thread because I hope guys dont get too affected by the ego's that can come up on this and other sites. I dont consider myself an expert sheep hunter but I have hunted sheep for the last 9 yrs. Last year my brother and I found an old, heavily broomed, small stones ram and before I decided to shoot I commented "I wonder what other sheep guys will say". He looked at me funny and said "who gives a ****, its up to you". He was right, although he is a small 11yr old ram, he was just as hard to get as the first two and he will look great on the wall with the rest.
    I get a little put off when I read comments like "I passed up bucks that most guys would give their left nut for" or a nice story about shooting a 3 pt muley and then adding the disclaimmer "it was the smallest buck I have ever shot by far". This comes from guys who are trying to be helpful, and I am not trying to attack anyone, I just think no one is questioning your hunting prowess so leave the egos out. I once met a fellow novice sheep hunter and he told me "oh ya I could have shot tons of legal rams but they werent good enough for me". Thats fine but I didnt ask for the ego saver. I have hunted sheep so I understand how hard it is to get one. I dont know about the rest of you sheep hunters but me and the guys I have hunted sheep with have never seen "tons of legal rams". Hopefully other hunters will shoot what is legal and they are happy with, and not worry about the ego's of others. JMHO
    With the 11 year old you shot, I doubt anyone would call that a dink regardless of the horn size or score. You got a nice mature ram and thats what most guys want to see.

When most guys start harping is when guys are killing 6 year old legal sheep.

BHB

"Dink" covers both "banana" and "skater" rams, and even some legal rams.

Bananas are obviously those ones that have bananas on their heads.

Skaters are the ones that you have to talk yourself into and then out of shooting.

A legal "Dink" is a full curl, young or thin ram. Once you have a ram on the wall you want to avoid these.

A legal "Ram" is a good ram, but not quite a "hog" or "pig".

"Hogs" and "Pigs" are what most of these guys who have rams already are after.

You need to hunt hard to find the "Pigs" and "Hogs". You dont have to look to far to find a few "dinks" though.

I consider myself sort of a "dink" expert. Ive seen way more dinks than hogs or pigs.

Dinks arent all bad though. Ive found myself staring at one dink all day if there is nothing else around to look at.

I was going to pull the pin on what looked to be a 2 or 3 year old one year. He had this tight little full curl that was waaaayyyyy above the nose on one side. To this day I kick myself for not removing him from the gene pool. He was the "dink of dinks".

Quote Originally Posted by Coming_out_heavy. View Post
    "I consider myself sort of a "dink" expert.

Dinks arent all bad though. Ive found myself staring at one dink all day if there is nothing else around to look at.
    You know that's gonna end up in someone's signature line....

lol
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss

With the 11 year old you shot, I doubt anyone would call that a dink regardless of the horn size or score. You got a nice mature ram and thats what most guys want to see.

When most guys start harping is when guys are killing 6 year old legal sheep.
    Pretty much! An 11 year old ram, regardless of size is a hardened old mountain warrior, who's time has come, if not by you, by his age it's a pretty good chance it would have been winter anyways.

Carl
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

SHAKER is offline Hound dawger reborn......

I think this falls into line like cat hunters....... you'll probably want to wack the first one out of the tree, but after that you get a little more discriminatory on what your look'n for if you ever get the chance again. It's all up to the guy do'n the shoot'n. Hell I don't know too many kids that were told to throw their first trout back in the lake cause it's too small...... But by this time in our lives I'm sure most of us release them "dinks" .
    The thread stopper!

SHAKER is offline Hound dawger reborn......

My opinion of a "dink ram" is anything a couple years old aka "banana rams"
    The thread stopper!

A dink in my books is a ram that, for some reason or another, is full curl however is under the accepted age of maturity (.

leaving those fast growing rams on the mountain is the best way to ensure that there are larger rams in the future. Shooting a large ram that isn't quite 8 is robbing that exceptional gene pool from continuing on.