With hunting season roughly 1 month away..and most fires still burning, more starting each week.these fires really cover a significant portion of region 5.most animals will be dealing with smoke, fire, loss of habitat home range extreme stress..separation of familly groups, herds.moving animals into new , strange territory perhaps with less food sources less nutrients..no one knows..as fires are paramount at this time .
It will also concentrate the remaining animals in smaller areas..how many animals have perished is still only a guess .
With all these losses, unknowns the well being of these animals should be, must be priority.
It will be hard on guide outfitters in this region..however..my personal view is when in doubt ....error on the side of conservation..future of all animals.

Until the scope of this tremendous fire season is carefully evaluated..loss of wildlife and habitat is properly determined as is how these fires have concentrated the hunt able big game.as well as safety to even enter into some of these MU regions..especially in the areas West of the Fraser River.
We talk about how to put more game into the field.the stress may influence even this year's rut?
Perhaps we could lead by example..BCWF..consider putting forward the thought process of suspending, eliminating, legislating the complete big game hunting in region 5 for the remainder of 2017 .
Completely eliminating ALL hunting.
For first nations the replacement of any hunting with the federal gov't supplying a replacement" single animal..beef provided from local cattle ranches deeply affected by loss of winter grazing, and feed supply.
No trading or selling..subsistence only.federally funded.
As for guides..outfitters compensated for a legislated suspension of all hunting .booked hunts be covered.
I expect raceaus extreme views contrary to this suggestion.
In the long run its tremendously less expensive to just do nothing and leave everything as was..but all is not as was..the truth is we do not know..no one does at this time..and until the entire situation is carefully examined and a solution that ensures the best outcome in the interest of all wildlife ...err" on the side of certainty.i am prepared emotionally to go elsewhere to hunt..i too have been as susisstence hunter my entire life..i. .we have options..giving biologists time to evaluate appropriate responses to these losses .
This is not the only solution? But with 30 days? Till open season..pretty tight schedule.
Suggesting this puts us the hunters in the decision process..demonstrating our concern for all wildlife..
Talk is cheap..action is unresistable. .lead by example..part of the process..
As certainly something will be done.
Cheers
Srupp