Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
Agree 100%.

Some thoughts....
A few of my better big WT buck areas have low to moderate WT numbers yet they seem to have a lot of preds.
It may not be the number of deer that are in the area but their huntability that is drawing in cats and bears.....and now wolves have recently moved in (and the endless stream of coyotes)

Perhaps it is the changing landscape......my WT areas are being logged extensively.
Is this making these locations more efficient hunting grounds for tooth and claw competitors thus the increased traffic?
Some of the things that run thru my head, when I see areas I know well, that have considerable ebbs and flows in numbers and balance......what are the drivers?

My numerous cams give me a good account of what animals are in any given area I hunt.

What I don't know and only can speculate on is why the swings...what's the cause, the drivers.
We mostly speculate.
There is no question in my mind that logging, particularly roads has increased predator movement. Just look at that Banff wolf that travelled 500kms in two weeks.

Here in the WK we have seen heavy predator numbers over the past several years. We are seeing less and less deer, moose and elk but yet the pred numbers haven't changed much? It just has to but knowing how far wolves will go leaves me to wonder...