Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
The main reason. They remind me of dogs.

It all started when I was still a teen surveying mining claims in the remote Yukon wilderness. A FN guy in the next door tent camp stole a wolf pup near Pelly River & we watched it grow. The pup behaved similar to a dog except for the ravenous appetite. It was also a 1 man dog. They even took him for a helicopter ride in the mountains.

I have approached more than a few wolves while hunting & even had a staring match with a huge wolf from less than 100 feet. It was like meeting a huge German shepherd. No problem.

Was surrounded by a large pack while staying in a doorless shack near Germansen. They were after 2 moose.

Stayed in Whitehorse for a while in the 60's & it seemed like every yard had part or a pure wolf in it.

I have also walked up to coyotes & will have to dig up some old photos.
We even named one of our favourite hunting roads REX ROAD. Eve named the handsome & very large coyote REX that we saw at least a couple of times. Have a photo somewhere.

You know you're in the wilderness when you hear that melancholy sound of the wolves howling.

And from my experience the bears not the wolves are a major reason for the declining game numbers.
My limited experience shows this to be absolutely false.
Here on Vancouver Island there is still good bear hunting but bear numbers are significantly down at the moment.
I agree the odd bear does become accustomed to killing ungulates ,bears that predate livestock habitually prove this.

No one wants to do anything about it but wolves are the problem.
Parts of Vancouver Island are horrible again.