Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BCWF- News release- Groundbreaking MOU signed

Re: BCWF- News release- Groundbreaking MOU signed

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Seeing as it was presented and signed at the BCWF AGM, I am sure the directors of the organization knew what was in the MOU.
    One day more people will come to realize that mindsets like yours are detrimental to wildlife.
    Guide bashing, FN's bashing, bashing fellow hunters and bitching that we need to enforce our rights to grab more of a declining resource has taken us down a backwards path.
    All of us.
    Correct.

I was front and centre of the allocation dispute, and we got some concessions from the original policy in favour of resident hunters, and now have to move forward. We also got the commitment that any increases in allocation due to population increases would go to us.

Of course, now that the government has been taken over by the anti-hunting parties, we need more than ever to work together to both protect the rights we currently have, as well as try to increase our wildlife resources instead of squabble over declining resources.

We've got our work cut out for us, dealing with anti-hunters in government, a declining resource, and idiots in the hunting ranks who support anti-hunting political parties that threw us under the bus for urban votes.

Our job ahead has just doubled or tripled in scope. We need all the help we can get.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Based on what I have been told to be factual, I wouldn't put any money on your statement. Lange has some valid concerns.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Seeing as it was presented and signed at the BCWF AGM, I am sure the directors of the organization knew what was in the MOU.
    Hey, that's me, and it brightens my day to know that I am in your thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post

We've got our work cut out for us, dealing with anti-hunters in government, a declining resource, and idiots in the hunting ranks who support anti-hunting political parties that threw us under the bus for urban votes.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by lange1212 View Post
    The question asked was has anyone seen and or been able to review this MOU, including the BCWF Board and that a copy of it be posted.........
    So what were you told at the BCWF convention when you brought up the MOU during discussions ? Surely there must have been a response, especially when having command of the floor and proper decorum was being followed, no?

And then again, when you had the chance to aire your pov on the allocation issue, and your group of supporters had the mike again, what was the response from the delegates ?

Maybe share that so we can see what support you had for your arguments in front of an engaged audience instead of a handful of hbc regulars.
    Thanks
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I understand some people have that skeptical mind-set. Not a bad thing to be more wary. I'm more of an optimist myself. I've seen the MOU and I'm pasting the "Purpose" of it below.

Big picture, it isn't about wildlife allocation, it isn't about hunting regulation. It's about committing to work together to ensure the best opportunity for wildlife and wildlife populations in this province. That's all, very simple.

When there's more wildlife, and we have sound objectives and management plans, we can get into discussion on how to identify opportunity to meet objectives.

"The British Columbia Wildlife Federation, the Guide Outfitters Association of British Columbia, the Wild Sheep Society of BC, the Wildlife Stewardship Council, the BC Trappers Association and the United Bowhunters of British Columbia agree to work together for the sake of building and maintaining healthy wildlife populations for First Nations, BC resident hunters, guide outfitters, trappers and the non-hunting public."

So why isn't a copy of the MOU available to the public? If there is some legal reason then was therea copy made available to all BCWF Members prior to the AGM and I just missed it? I am not saying that it is a good or bad thing as I have no idea what it says. But I am saying that a document that claims to represent 10s of thousands of people in this province, maybe they should be able to see it for themselves!
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Quote Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
    So why isn't a copy of the MOU available to the public? If there is some legal reason then was therea copy made available to all BCWF Members prior to the AGM and I just missed it? I am not saying that it is a good or bad thing as I have no idea what it says. But I am saying that a document that claims to represent 10s of thousands of people in this province, maybe they should be able to see it for themselves!
    Maybe the question is, what else do people think is in an MOU? It isn't the culmination of a negotiation. There are no terms, no side agreements. It's focused on one thing. Agreement, to put down the bullshit and work together, for wildlife. I posted the Purpose of the MOU above. The only parts I left out, where the effective date, and the signatures.

I'm just punting from the 20 yard line here, but Mulehahn, given his past posts and support of a guy whom I believe would have led the organization into continued bickering, is looking only to discredit people who have moved the BCWF forward in a positive direction.

MOUs are simple documents that say "We agree to work together on _________." That's it.

Some people are more focussed on searching for skeletons that don't exist, than working together to help fish and wildlife.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

And another shot that I believe is partially directed at myself, and who exactly is trying to discredit who here?

I'm just punting from the 20 yard line here, but Mulehahn, given his past posts and support of a guy whom I believe would have led the organization into continued bickering, is looking only to discredit people who have moved the BCWF forward in a positive direction.

MOUs are simple documents that say "We agree to work together on _________." That's it.

Some people are more focussed on searching for skeletons that don't exist, than working together to help fish and wildlife.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    I understand some people have that skeptical mind-set. Not a bad thing to be more wary. I'm more of an optimist myself. I've seen the MOU and I'm pasting the "Purpose" of it below.

Big picture, it isn't about wildlife allocation, it isn't about hunting regulation. It's about committing to work together to ensure the best opportunity for wildlife and wildlife populations in this province. That's all, very simple.

When there's more wildlife, and we have sound objectives and management plans, we can get into discussion on how to identify opportunity to meet objectives.

"The British Columbia Wildlife Federation, the Guide Outfitters Association of British Columbia, the Wild Sheep Society of BC, the Wildlife Stewardship Council, the BC Trappers Association and the United Bowhunters of British Columbia agree to work together for the sake of building and maintaining healthy wildlife populations for First Nations, BC resident hunters, guide outfitters, trappers and the non-hunting public."
    This is 100% the ticket. If we continue on the path we are following, there will be nothing left for anyone. We need to work together. Trust me, I have talked to local politicians that had to deal with the allocation issue and years later they are still licking their pelts. They will not attempt such a thing again without serious consideration. One good thing about "Horgable" taking power is that I am pretty sure the GOABC will not receive further allocations. Regardless, it is essential we fight for wildlife together as a bigger force and this MOU does just that. Maybe we should have had FD and WB sign it as well Now with the MOU we are part way there and we need a means to accomplish our goals. Although to most it appears vague, the funding model is essential. It will evolve as it is developed, but it must be separate from emotion driven government. There is a plan in place and with the right pressure I am confidant it will be accomplished and effective. I have become a lot more involved in the last few years simply because I was determined to ensure wildlife has a chance. The MOU is tailored in a similar way to the incredibly successful Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC and from what I have seen, this process has the best chance for wildlife in BC and for enabling British Columbians' access to wildlife for years to come. This change in direction has the potential to be a process that years from now, people look back and recognize as a significant step to improving wildlife management in BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    I'm not crazy about the MOU either. I think there are potentially more effective allies for the BCWF out in the big wide world. I'm not anti-guide by any means, but I think they have much more to gain from us than we have to gain from them. Just my opinion. I could be totally wrong.

Funding and objectives are required to accomplish anything. Social license is required to remove opposition. An acceptance of science as the proper tool for wildlife policy discharge rather than emotion (which allows for the politicization of wildlife) is critical.
    Care to elaborate on who is better to represent BC's wildlife than the 5 groups listed that have a vested interest and are directly involved with BC's wildlife on a daily basis? I can't think of any.

Quote Originally Posted by 40incher View Post
    Might be nice to see what the exact wording of the MoU is?? It's a mystery to me!

I have made it as clear as possible that the allocation of wildlife hunting opportunities should have been front and center in the BCWF election platform ... instead we heard nothing but silence on the issue. That concerns me.

It also concerns me that the push for a vague "funding model" is going to solve the immediate, or long-term, problems for resident hunters. Time to kick some doors down on a new allocation model that gives resident hunters the 90% they deserve ... instead of the paltry 60% to 75% we had forced upon us by the Liberals.

No more "cap in hand" crap!
    If you don't like it, come out and help us all out. We don't always need to agree, but we are all fighting for the fish and wildlife. A larger combined effort will achieve better results.

Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post
    If we speak with one voice we have much more clout. Hopefully all involved are willing to swing a big stick uncomfortably hard at the politicians.
    Agreed! We as members may need to throw out a few reminders.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post

“Coming together is the beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success.”
    Henry Ford

I think this is the message FD and JT are trying to get across folks, we needed a starting point, we got one. From now on those parties who signed on the dotted line can no longer hide in the "I didn't know/realize/wasn't invited" shadows anymore. Once the ball really gets rolling in committee or summit when one party steps out of line or fumbles a commitment, at least there is a signed document to hold their feet to the fire, you signed it with full knowledge and intent, so now do something about it. The fact that the Stewardship council attended and signed is a huge move forward IMO.
    L!nks
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm