Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Reg 3 Mule Deer Survey 2017

Re: Reg 3 Mule Deer Survey 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    So it's about what hunters want? Well just in this thread alone we have a variety of wants for what hunters would like to see.

-Total LEH
    -Trophy management areas
    -Shortened any Buck season
    -No changes

What will they really gather from this? Are they sending the survey out to hunters that live out of the region? I harvested a good 4 point in region 3 this fall and never received a survey.
    I disagree. I think all hunters agree that they want healthy deer populations. How we get there is up for debate. The only thing that has been proven again and again is that once a season is shortened or altered it is never coming back.

In my opinion no decisions should be made until proper scientific studies of population are conducted...More than buck/doe ratios! The Buck/Doe ratio is useless stat without knowing the total population. A ration of 15/100 sounds great, hunt away until realize those are the last 115 deer in the region. Same for the opposite with a doe ration of 7/100 but if there is 5,000 deer in an area that can only support 2,500 than the lower ratio is better. BC has mismanaged wildlife for so long that many people have forgotten what proper science is like. Without it we are shooting in the dark!
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Quote Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
    The only thing that has been proven again and again is that once a season is shortened or altered it is never coming back.

In my opinion no decisions should be made until proper scientific studies of population are conducted...More than buck/doe ratios! The Buck/Doe ratio is useless stat without knowing the total population. A ration of 15/100 sounds great, hunt away until realize those are the last 115 deer in the region. Same for the opposite with a doe ration of 7/100 but if there is 5,000 deer in an area that can only support 2,500 than the lower ratio is better. BC has mismanaged wildlife for so long that many people have forgotten what proper science is like. Without it we are shooting in the dark!
    I agree 100%. Well put

I have to agree. There are certain areas that are easily accessible that young bucks are getting hammered and some areas there are definitely better ratios. I can't think of another way then to shorten the any buck season and possibly push some of these hunters into areas they might find higher densities and maybe that will help maintain a better overall population ratio throughout the region
    "Forty yards n closin"

As your filling out your survey please keep in mind we don't need to make any season changes in regon 3. We need 8 and 5 or at least bordering parts of 8 and 5 to match the season in 3. Let's not lose any more seasons.

^^^^totally agree...

Quote Originally Posted by afflicted 1 View Post
    I have to agree. There are certain areas that are easily accessible that young bucks are getting hammered and some areas there are definitely better ratios. I can't think of another way then to shorten the any buck season and possibly push some of these hunters into areas they might find higher densities and maybe that will help maintain a better overall population ratio throughout the region
    That won't result in one more mule deer on the landscape nor any more big bucks.

Science is where it's at.

CONCLUSIONS
    After decades of use and many evaluations reporting disappointing results, most western states and provinces
    have discontinued statewide antler point restrictions. The two main reasons for abandoning widespread antler
    point restrictions are (1) unacceptable accidental-illegal kill, and (2) harvest mortality was increased (focused) on
    the very age classes they intended to promote. Available data and experience suggest antler point restrictions result
    in no long-term increase in either the proportion or number of mature bucks, or the total deer population.

https://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/pd...strictions.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Exactly^^^FD

I do also agree with WOS also however.
    The areas I hunt in R3, there has been a significant jump in hunter#'s, all because of the closure in
    Nov in R5.
    Especially areas that border R5.
    There are other things that are of just as big in importance that need to be addressed as well.
    We all know that....
    but that is where I am really disappointed with this survey....
    It asks us really nothing on those issues...other then atv/road closure.
    Again, this only is geared to ask about leh/shorter season/bag limits/closures etc....
    Just the same old same old.....no real shift in direction on the bigger issues.....

Like I said before..........

Also, this is a simple survey of hunters sentiment, no more, no less
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

^^If that were the case they wouldn't bother with the survey. I have never heard them ask how's everything? are you happy ?I hope you are killing enough deer! what can we do to help? They always ask loaded questions.
    Last edited by wos; 05-02-2017 at 06:37 PM.

this survey concerns me....

limiting harvest isnt going to fix it if the habit is trashed.

im totally in agreeance that there should be a few specific zones designated for LEH hunting of "trophy" animals... but thats just from what i understand of american conservation

we all know that in order to chase big mature animals, they have to be left to grow... but the genetics need to be there as well.

screwing with the seasons will not stop poachers that WILL take an animal regardless of season or region because they feel it is their god givin right to harvest. let alone all the guys who have a "friend" who will say that they shot it (you bet your ass that was an FN reference, i see it every year in region 3)

there is a massive amount of terrain n region 3 decimated by logging and very little of the roads have been properly deactivated. it's a road hunters wet dream

we all know the wolves are on a HUGE increase, but how many of us actually hunt them?

this survey is totally geared towards cutting down on hunting in that region.... but i dont think its truly the answer

im having a hard time filling it out because it seems totally loaded....
    "Golf, what a waste of a perfectly good rifle range"

I'm the one sitting in the cut block glassing all the animals you spooked and didnt see because you dont get out of your truck

13yrs and counting in Canadian Oil & Gas...