Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sighting in issue

Re: Sighting in issue

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    My bore sighting set up works like this .
    Gun vise sitting on hot tub cover , I bore sight on a 1" knot hole on my fence 25 ft away . Been doing it this way for 35+ years on count less firearms . A bit red neck but works for me .
    Remind me not to spy thru that hole any more!
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Remind me not to spy thru that hole any more!
    There will be no warning shot
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

It should be fairly easy to tell if something is out of alignment with the rail on that setup. Sight down the rail or hold a straight edge to it to see if there is a bend or kink in it where the handguard attaches to the receiver. If the rail is one continuous straight line then measure the distance from the barrel to the handguard where the barrel exits the handguard. The barrel should exit dead center. With a rail that long if something is cockeyed it should stand out if it's not true to the bore.

Where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by RayHill View Post
    Shooting a new rifle for the first time the other day. At 25yards it was shooting to the right of the bullseye 4" after adjusting scope to the left. Next shots were in the same area as last group. I ended up maxing to the left adjustment and still have the rounds impacting at 4" right.

What's going on with this thing?

Scope is a Nikon Monarch 3 on a M-308 mount

When you're max to the left, loosen the cap screw, lift it up a bit and turn it to the right all the way making sure the bottom part doesn't turn.
    Then try zeroing again without paying attention to what you're seeing on the turret itself.

Once you're satisfy with you zero, loosen the top screw again, then turn the cap to line the 0 mark with the bottom part.
    Push it down and tighten the screw gently.
    That should solve the issue.

If that's not an option or doesn't work, check the followings:
    - You may have defective scope.
    - Your un-intentional compensation when pulling the trigger or bad flinching habit.

If none of the above works, find another hobby

Quote Originally Posted by Sinperama View Post
    When you're max to the left, loosen the cap screw, lift it up a bit and turn it to the right all the way making sure the bottom part doesn't turn.
    Then try zeroing again without paying attention to what you're seeing on the turret itself.

Once you're satisfy with you zero, loosen the top screw again, then turn the cap to line the 0 mark with the bottom part.

- Your un-intentional compensation when pulling the trigger or bad flinching habit.

Does the monarch 3 have some sort of zero stop set up? If not, a maxed out elevation/windage adjustment is just that, maxed out. 'Fooling' the turret by making it say 'zero' won't gain a thing...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by Sinperama View Post

That will do nothing. Optics are built with a maximum internal adjustment, changing the elevation dial to zero wont change your total erector tube travel. Unless I'm mistaken, the M-308 only has a zero reset feature, not a zero stop.

Troy makes quality stuff and I have a hard time believing the picatinny rail on the upper is to blame, but weirder things has happened...
    I wouldn't bother messing around with anything else until you can verify erector tube movement within the scope. Get a bore sighter, or use a grid target and a fixture to hold you rifle down securely and watch for movement. That alone will tell you whether the problem lies within the scopes traveling assembly, or in the mounting hardware. My money is on the mounting hardware.

I had a Remington 700 I could not bore sight, I could not bring the reticle over far enough. It had weaver bases, Leupold PRW rings and was holding on a Leupold VX-3. Bought brand new (but exactly the same) weaver bases and that solved that.
    Originally posted by MEATEATER
    If anyone says blacktails there lying no one can figure them out
    Hunt Hard, Hunt safe, Eat Well.

Did you torque your scope rings or just tighten them up? Recently had a buddy with a similar problem and he had his scope rings way too tight not allowing anything to move inside.