Thread: Low budget = porro prism binoculars

Low budget = porro prism binoculars

So after purchasing and returning a pair of binoculars from costco that seemed to bea good buy at first but they ended up fogging up on a rainy hunting trip, i started my new search for an inexpensive pair of binoculars ($400 max). after a quick search online for inexpensive binoculars i noticed people tent to go for certain brands/models of binoculars so i kept that in mind but i keep doing my own research since the most favourite binoculars for other hunters were around my max price range.

I cheked multiple sites and i found too many binos to choose from and it was almost impossible to compare one binocular from one brand with another since the manufacture/retailer sometimes do not provide all the specs for certain binoculars. my online searches made me realize something though ... If i wanted a inexpensive pair of binoculars i had to consider the porro prism binoculars and i had to compare them with the equivalent in price for a roof prism.

i simplified my search and i went to the manufature website that offers the most information for all binos regardless the type of prism, price tag, that has a wide variety of binos and i think offers good quality products ... I chose nikon. The chart spoke for itself porro prism binos exceeded the equivalent roof prism binos when it comes to relative brightness and exit pupil. At it also compared to the high end roof prism binos.

i searched the web once again why the porro prism are cheaper that the roof prism and not too many huntting sites came up in my search, however some bird watching and optic forums appeared in my search. As explained in the forums roof prism require coating on the lenses to make up for the losses of light within the bino. Porro prism binos due to their shape and size dont need coating since they dont have the light losses as the roof prism do.

i made the decision and i compromised on carrying 300g more. a bulkier bino with good optics. I got the nikon action ex 7x50 porro prism bino for $250. It was backordeable but there is lots of time until the next deer hunting season.

so if you are also looking for entry level binos, consider a porro prism. Here is the nikon comparison chart for your reference:

http://www.nikon.com/products/sporto...ulars/spec.htm

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Low budget = porro prism binoculars

You are right, roof prisms look simpler but they are actually a lot more complicated internally. Complication means more precision in manufacturing which both adds to the cost and light inefficiency compared to the simpler porro prism. If you don't mind the bulk and are on a budget then porros are the way to go. For me the added bulk means I am more likely to leave them in my bag or at home.