Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: elk hunting in Castlegar

Re: elk hunting in Castlegar

Just understand that you are kinda late to the show. The (us) locals and those no-locals that have hunted here since it went to GOS have most good spots close to towns/roads sewed up. Not to say you can't join the crowd if that's your thing. As mentioned above, you will want to go to an out-of-the-way place that would require more effort if you want a quality experience and less competition. By now there are quad trails and walking trails cut into almost every nook and cranny here - I know as I keep running into them. No one bush-wacks any more. Camp here the summer and wear out a pair of boots or two and you will find areas and elk. Read magazines and post to know what to look for. Best advice is hook up with an experienced elk hunter and save a lot of time and sweat. Good luck.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

I can think of three places within 20 miles of Nelson, where there ARE quite a number of HUGE Elk, but, hiking in and packing out of these is so tough that it is beyond most hunters.

IF, and this is a BIG IF, you are fit enough and determined enough to hunt the high country accessible only by foot, you can kill big Elk, every year, but, you will suffer for each one.

If, you look at topo maps, know a little about Elk and think about my first post here, you will see where to go and then it is largely fitness and determination.

deerslyer13.....as you can see, bit of a tough crowd on here in recent days. Not likely you are going to get an x on a map, on the forum. Sometimes guys will help out with PM's but I would be surprised if exact ridges or drainages were given even then. Don't be discouraged, finding the elk is a ton of fun and a great excuse to get out and see some country. As posters have already mentioned, areas close to towns and roads are hit pretty hard by hunters, especially in the first few weeks of the season. In the southern regions of BC, locals will most definitely have all the more productive spots pegged and the bulls named before you even arrive. I used to always want to "know" where other guys shot there animals, but after an unfortunate incident, have grown to appreciate searching, finding and killling animals more rewarding when I accomplish it without help. Get out there and look. Wear some boots out. It will take a year or two to figure out a new area, but you will figure it out and when you do, I can assure you, you will not tell too many people where it is. It'll feel dam good!
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

If, you look on the ridges above the major lakes and can use your optics, with time, you will see Elk, but, the issue then is getting up there and if you do so, packing the meat down to a boat or vehicle.

I have seen, within the past decade, several fine bulls shot from relatively accessible roads, BUT, there is obviously a bit of "luck" involved.

Again, GET MAPS and think about what you see on them.

I just found out I will be moving to Castlegar for work this summer so I will be following this thread. I have a 21 foot jet boat and don't mind doing some hiking. If anyone has any info they would be willing to share in a PM, I am all ears! I am also interested in deer, goat, sheep and turkey hunting there if anyone has anything they would be willing to share with me in that department. Ive never been to the area before...
    Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by deerslyer13 View Post
    First time elk hunting in castlegar, im looking for some good spots to go, was thinking Mcphee creek or Borrow pit road. any advice will help.
    Apparently the HBC "First Post Joke" rule was replaced with the "Where's Your Honey Hole" as your first post...........

I do appreciate the direct approach though........

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Apparently the HBC "First Post Joke" rule was replaced with the "Where's Your Honey Hole" as your first post...........

I do appreciate the direct approach though........
    lol yup not even a thank you in advance for the advice in that first post of where to go..........must be a young feller and he's in a hurry, don't waste my time your lucky to have me as a member on HBC AND WHERE ARE THE 6 pt Bulls ?
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Hey, RO and WF, you gotta get OLD like me to be so cynical, eh!

I don't mind helping a nube, but, while there are HUGE Elk in the WK, hunting them and, especially packing out the rack and meat is just brutal, even for young'uns.

I can think of one spot, in particular, where I would almost guarantee a sighting of a real whopper and I used to hunt Blue Grouse in this place, but, it is truly a bitch to hike into at 25 and at 70 soon, wellllllllll.........

Even, the cows stay hidden until 9:30 PM now so LEH hunts are not easy.

I posted up last year about the Wife's cousin who lived all his life in Castlegar and now lives in retired bliss a short drive North on some lovely acreage.
    Has a small herd of Elk that visit him every year and he invited me to join him for a "hunt" where we could literally shoot from his deck.
    Haven't taken him up on the offer, don't know if I will.

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    Even, the cows stay hidden until 9:30 PM now
    You've been hanging out at Banjo's too long!

And to those who would shoot an elk from a deck, re-read the regulations.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !