Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016-2018 Hunting & Trapping Regulations- EXTENSION!

2016-2018 Hunting & Trapping Regulations- EXTENSION!

2016-2018 Hunting & Trapping Regulations – Public Feedback & Comments

Please Note: Due to technical difficulties with the province’s AHTE website, the deadline for public feedback/comments on proposed changes to 2016-2018 Hunting and Trapping Regulations has been extended to January 31, 2016.

If you haven’t done so already, we encourage you take a few moments to visit the AHTE website at the link below, review the proposed changes to the upcoming Hunting & Trapping Regulations and make your comments known through the website by or before the deadline

http://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/pub/ahte/
    Make sure to Like and Share us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/BCWildlifeFederation

Twitter- @BCWildlife

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2016-2018 Hunting & Trapping Regulations- EXTENSION!

How do we go about telling them to separate limits for the different species of deer so they can be managed properly as individual species? They are worried about the mule deer in some areas and want people to try to take more whitetails but mulies are so much easier to hunt so people just shoot mulies in 3 different regions to get there provincial 3 deer bag limit instead of concentrating any effort on whitetail. In order to alleviate this some they need to separate mule deer and white tail deer into individual species for the provincial bag limits, even if it means reducing the provincial bag limit on mule deer to 2 or even 1. This means the rest would have to be whitetails and they could likely even allow harvesting of an extra deer this way, say 2 and 2. It seems ridiculous to me that completely different species are grouped into 1 bag limit, that's like grouping moose and elk (or elk and caribou) into a single bag limit, how do you properly manage different species do something like this?

they should cut out the 2 bag limit for does in region 4 BEFORE they are all gone.

^^^^^they are proposing reducing the wt antlerless harvest in region 4 to one..

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky 7 View Post
    they should cut out the 2 bag limit for does in region 4 BEFORE they are all gone.
    They are still there just a hell of a lot spookier! Reminds me more of hunting deer back in Onterrible. That said I totally agree with the purposal to reduce the limit to one. Also I would like to see the season moved to Nov, lots of incidental kills from guys who don't get their elk.
    KCCO

Hey there BCWF. Any chance there is a regulation change that is not listed on the site. I heard a rumor there might be one proposed for region 6.

Iskut residents road blocked the Rail Grade for 1 day. Then took it down after a "Deal was reached with Government". Ive yet to see any proposed changes that would make me think that there was one made.

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    How do we go about telling them to separate limits for the different species of deer so they can be managed properly as individual species? They are worried about the mule deer in some areas and want people to try to take more whitetails but mulies are so much easier to hunt so people just shoot mulies in 3 different regions to get there provincial 3 deer bag limit instead of concentrating any effort on whitetail. In order to alleviate this some they need to separate mule deer and white tail deer into individual species for the provincial bag limits, even if it means reducing the provincial bag limit on mule deer to 2 or even 1. This means the rest would have to be whitetails and they could likely even allow harvesting of an extra deer this way, say 2 and 2. It seems ridiculous to me that completely different species are grouped into 1 bag limit, that's like grouping moose and elk (or elk and caribou) into a single bag limit, how do you properly manage different species do something like this?
    Moose and elk had an aggregate bag limit in region 4 back in the day. Seemed to work quite well with generous GOS and healthy game populations. So, thanks for the reminder.

You'll have to quote some science that indicates that hunter harvest in primarily buck only seasons, many of which have antler restrictions, is having an effect on mule deer populations. Because right now, that science doesn't exist. Buck harvest has negligible effect on deer populations over the long term - even buck:doe ratios lower than 10:100 produce greater than 90% pregnancy rates, and we manage harvest for a conservative 20:100 in BC. Worry about fawn recruitment, not buck harvest, as fawn recruitment determines populations.

We can take away hunting opportunity thinking we are saving "x" species from some issue, but unless we apply a valid scientific reason for it, we may as well bandage our finger when we break our leg, thinking we're doing some good.

You'd do better to do the following: contact your MLA, demand predator control, habitat enhancement, and funding for fish and wildlife. At least you'll see an effect on game populations if you get one or more to happen, rather than shutting down your hunting opportunity and continuing to see smaller game populations.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

^^^^^^what he said....

^^^^^^what he said, he said....