Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Grizzlies in Region 8

Re: Grizzlies in Region 8

Quote Originally Posted by angus5024 View Post
    Ive seen a few over the last few years, and due to work I don't get many days afield.
    I saw one that was about 7km as the crow flies from Winfield, not far off beaver lake road. It was munching on the last half of a bovine calf (kinda sad, mamma cow wouldn't leave). Called the C.O's and they weren't too concerned. That bear has been around that area for some time apparently.
    seen them in that area and lots of sign. i think the closest LEH is monashee 8.23 though

Quote Originally Posted by snareman1234 View Post
    Government is undertaking a large-scale inventory of grizzly bears in 8-14 and 8-15 this year. A large effort to enumerate bears on the eastern range margin of the Okanagan "extirpation zone". Approximately 8,000km^2 will be inventoried. DNA-based mark-recapture, so results will not be finalized until a year or so after the data has been collected as genotyping take some time. Stay tuned for empirical estimates of grizzly density for this portion of region 8
    Fantastic. They have been doing similar studies in this area for some time, it's rewarded us with far more data than expected. It's a great program.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Box, disappointed with ur statement.
    I truly appreciate ur perspective and comments on this site as a valued contributor......but not this one. (all do respect)

We've got a peer respected keener out there involved in full scale research and documentation of grizzly bears who just took the time to share insight on a project.....somewhat privileged insight I might add.

I think any member of HBC should encourage someone contributing this type/level of information.
    To respond in a way that may discourage further contribution.....mistake.

This site needs to encourage parties than can raise the bar of contribution.....not discourage it.

This is so true and not just from a forum perspective but for the the sake of hunting as a whole, which I am sure is what you are alluding too. In today's competitive regulatory and political landscape between hunting and anti-hunting agendas there is an absolute need for this kind of data for without this knowledge hunting will not have a leg to stand on. One just needs to look at Alberta to understand how a lack of research will end hunting opportunity and cause hardship for stakeholders when there is no empirical data to support population estimates.

With this in mind, I hope the research project is well funded and supported to meet the needed scale of effort required to acquire a valid analysis. Carpet bombing the research area with a high density of hair collection sites is a daunting task but necessary to obtain a true population estimate. Anything less than a very high trap density equates to great underestimations of population densities. Again, we can look at Alberta to see how a poorly funded and weakly strategized bear study can turn into a nightmare for managing grizzly bears.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Another BS study. The Gov doesn't know what to do with most of the data they have now , and when they get an idea the funds aren't available.
    Let some thesis builder do the work , but don't tie up the Gov office.
    Someone give boxhitch the Midol.

I know the researcher personally and have full confidence in his abilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Itd be interesting to read the inventory reports once it is all completed.

Any idea on how sustainable or how large the population needs to be to open any more LEH in M.Us other than 8-23?

I've seen 17 gb in one year in 8. Had a 600 lb bruin walk right across my driveway
    last year was the first time I saw a white kermode with 2 wht Cubs. Very cool and they were are in region 8

I kind of understand what boxhitch is saying. Funds are stretched so thin in the past decade that basic wildlife inventories are completely lacking. When is the last time we had a complete mule deer survey in region 8? And as a result there is so much in-fighting in the hunting community it is rediculous. We need some solid science to either make changes or leave things as they are with confidence.

I'm all for inventorying region 8 grizzly bears and support the person doing it. In an ideal world we would have triple the regional staff and up to date inventories on all species in every regions.......but......
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

1) There's enough $$ for the grizz census.

2) Agreed, hunters probably have other priorities. To unlock funding for those priorities hunters are going to continue to be active and to become more active in the political arena.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Sounds like we need two things to happen in the Okanagan.
    1. A more comprehensive and informative information guide for campers and general outdoors enthusiasts re: Grizzly Bear awareness and safety measures.
    2.More LEH opportunities.