Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 180gr vs 150gr or 165 gr

180gr vs 150gr or 165 gr

I am currently shooting 180gr Federal Fusion out of my Remington 700 30-06. Shoots great. I can get 3/4" groups at 100m over sandbags. They pack a big kick, but with my limbsaver recoil pad I can shoot all day. The recoil isn't the issue. Here is the reason why I am thinking of changing grains:
    I have a 4x Swarovski scope that came on the rifle when my father-in-law permanently loaned it to me. I initially sighted it in using 180gr because I wanted to be prepared for anything. According to the ballistics on the box, the bullet drop at 200yds is a little over 4" and at 300 is 14". I know that switching to a lighter grain will give me a faster bullet and therefore less bullet drop within 300. I'm wondering if it is worth switching. I know that I can nail my target up to 200yds because of the known bullet drop, though this is based off the ballistics written on the box and I should try at the range to make sure. Though with my 3/4" groups at 100m I feel pretty confident. I don't plan on making any shots longer than and preferably will make shots no farther than 200m. With the set magnification, it's pretty much impossible to compensate for drop when it's 4" at 200m. If I was to take a shot up to 300m, I figure putting my crosshairs on the top of the back would get my bullet where I want it. Scope upgrade is not an option right now either. Will the flight of 150 or 165 grain bullets be that much flatter as to warrant ditching the 180s?
    Only in the last couple years as I have gotten into hunting on my own after only going out a few times in my teens have I began getting into shooting and ballistics and stuff. Looking forward to your thoughts as I know the experienced guys will be able to provide good info.
    There is lots of talk of grains and bullets but I haven't seen anything like this on here yet.
    Thanks again.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 180gr vs 150gr or 165 gr

The most ballistic ally stable bullet in the 06, is the 165 grain, however, shoot whatever you feel comfortable with.

I shoot 180 grain pills at all my critters cause I like

1) Heavy for caliber bullets
    2) I know that at 300 yards I am only 4 inches low (3 inches high at 100 yards)
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    The most ballistic ally stable bullet in the 06, is the 165 grain, however, shoot whatever you feel comfortable with.

Hmm ! just wondering how you would know how ballistically stable a bullet is in any cartridge ? Just wondering - School me Please - thks RJ

Okay, I don't know much but I do know the answer to this question. I have shot boxes of -06 trying to find the bullet I like. Also, it tends to be fun. Anyway, the answer to this question you've asked is pretty simple. You already answered it. If you're not taking shots longer than 200 and you're dead on at 100 it won't make a major ballistic difference as far as trajectory.
    You have a greater chance of human error than the 2-4 inch drop making a difference. BTW, I've found the boxes are usually pretty accurate. If you are comfortable and practised with your rifle then you can make a SLIGHT compensation for the 200 yard shot to put it right between the ribs
    Now, if you're going beyond that we need to have another talk. If you can get by, 180gr is almost always easier to find on the shelf than 165. At least around me.
    My 2cents anyway
    Last edited by HeadingOutside; 04-28-2015 at 08:34 PM. Reason: poor grammar

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post

So Rocksteady, would you suggest sighting in high at 100m as you do yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by HeadingOutside View Post
    Okay, I don't know much but I do know the answer to this question. I have shot boxes of -06 trying to find the bullet I like. Also, it tends to be fun. Anyway, the answer to this question you've asked is pretty simple. You already answered it. If you're not taking shots longer than 200 and you're dead on at 100 it won't make a major ballistic difference as far as trajectory.
    You have a greater chance of human error than the 2-4 inch drop making a difference. BTW, I've found the boxes are usually pretty accurate. If you are comfortable and practised with your rifle then you can make a SLIGHT compensation for the 200 yard shot to put it right between the ribs
    Now, if you're going beyond that we need to have another talk. If you can get by, 180gr is almost always easier to find on the shelf than 165. At least around me.
    My 2cents anyway
    A good 2 cents. What you said is basically what I have been planning since since I have sighted the rifle in. As I said to Rocksteady, perhaps sighting in high, maybe 1" high at 100 would be a good idea? Again with the set magnification, I am trying to get the rifle and my self at a place where I am as comfortable as I can be with any possible shot within my 300m range, 300 being the absolute maximum and every effort being made to bring it to 200m or less.

With the 180s I would sight in about 2" high at 100 yards. That should put you close to perfect for 200 and maybe only 8 or so inches low at 300.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

The difference on most ballistic charts for similar bullets in 30-06 from 180s down to 150s is about 4" at 300 yards. That's probably about the width of your crosshairs in a 4x scope at that range.

If I were you, I'd stick with the popular 180s and take shots you're comfortable with.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Like others have said.. keep the 180gr and I would suggest having the rifle zero'd at 200 as apposed to 100.
    practice with the rifle and take the shots at the range you think you may encounter in the bush. learn what it does before it counts!
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

vortex hunter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hoochie View Post
    Like others have said.. keep the 180gr and I would suggest having the rifle zero'd at 200 as apposed to 100.
    practice with the rifle and take the shots at the range you think you may encounter in the bush. learn what it does before it counts!
    So true At a range alot of the time everything is PERFECT , its good to sight in there but like hoochie said the best place to practice or know exactly what your bullet will do if you do your part is go out and Practice test diff brands of ammo or stick to what you like . Just my 3 cents Vortex