Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: moose hunt with a 308?

Re: moose hunt with a 308?

Forget it...

i can argue for days here but people will always nit pic every bloody word....

.284 Win with Silvertips did not go through the F ing mooses shoulder 7 f in times...... yes if one was shot 10 inches further back it would have gone into the lungs and killed the moose... but the guy shooting the bloody thing thought the bullet should be able to go through the shoulder.... in 1975 there was no TTSX....

i first said the 308 is fine.... i then comented on Dudes
    "I watched a video a while ago of a kid making a clean kill on an elk with a .243..shot placement is key, whether it's a .308 or .338"

to reiterate that a 338 is better.. due to the above reasoning.....

Lung him he won't go far. My hunting partner has used a 308 for years, never lost a moose, no more than 2 shot's. Myself i use a 7mm Mag.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

We lived on moose meat as kids. All were killed with a 308 shooting 180 grain CoreLokts. Never had any problem with bullet performance, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

I've seen with my own eyes a very dead bull moose that was taken with a lung shot from a .243, 100 yds, didn't take a single step. I'm getting the impression that those Island moose are tougher though.
    Pretend hunter.

The only bull moose I ever had trouble with (out of 2 handfuls) was with a 300 win mag shooting factory swift a frames. There was no rhyme nor reason for the difficulty looking at where the bullets penetrated. Some moose just like standing up I guess. That took 4 bullets to drop.
    Looking back, four of moose were harvested with 308. One with a factory federal blue box 150, one with a factory federal blue box 180 grain and two with factory hornady 180 grain sst's or whatever they are called. The others were with a 300 wsm, 30-06 and 300 RUM. All were one shot to lay down.

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    Forget it...
    didn't mean to upset you.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Bit of a pansy today... Work was bull lol

I have seen with my very two eyes lost moose with that very 243.
    There is a lot more to recommending a cartridge then assuming everyone can hit a moose.

.243" 100gr Nosler Partition =

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Way back when I was young and foolish I was telling Joe Gibault I needed to get a bigger gun than my 65x55 swede because I was going moose hunting....Joe suggested that all I needed to do was put one 140 gr 6.5 bullet from my swede just behind the shoulder, sit down for 20 minutes ,half an hour ,then walk up and start gutting my moose which would probably be about 50 yards from where I hit him....Joe told me my little 65x55 swede with 140 gr bullets was one of the most efficient and lethal combinations you could get for any animal,as long as I held it straight...
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 04-21-2015 at 04:54 PM.