Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer poacher in Lake Country

Re: Deer poacher in Lake Country

I have a friend who lives in the area mention this incident to me. Based on what I know about the area, this guy most likely lives very close to the area of the poaching. He came and went on his quad, no vehicle from what I understand. I think they will get him. And like a few others have said, I hope he gets more than a slap on the wrist. This is the 4th episode of poaching I have heard about this year from hunters I personally know. I don't think I have ever had more than one in any other year I can remember. A little disconcerting. I hope it isn't a trend.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

There's more poaching going on then we hear about. Some of the poachers are very seasoned outdoorsmen and don't leave any sign around to tell the tale. I personally know of a couple of individuals that made part of their living by poaching and selling meat, both deer and cattle, in the Okanagan area several years ago. There was nothing I could do about though as they left no evidence of their activity and they divulged their activity to me after the fact without saying where they sold the meat.

I am not sure that an ATV plate law would have helped catch this guy as he does seem to be one to play by the rules, it would also not shock me if he doesn't even bother buying a license either, what would be the point if he is shooting illegal game anyhow? If they catch him hopefully they are able to confiscate the rifle, quad and hand out some huge fines. A criminal charge of evading arrest would also be nice as it would prevent him from travelling. I have seen signs of poaching often the last couple years in region 3, we need more decoys/COs.

If he doesn't register his quad, he will be caught the moment he drives by a cop or CO with it in his truck. To speculate that this guy wouldn't register is like saying why insure your car because a cop might not be able to stop you. Sure, a few play this game, but 99% of people plate their cars, even the crooks. I think this guy would have registered, and here's why.

My guess is he shot a muley thinking it was a whitetail, deer ran and died close to houses, he gets reported while trying to salvage the deer, he panics when the law shows up and blows through the cop cars.

I bet a bad situation just turned to a nightmare and he did everything wrong. He must be held to account for what he did, of course. Now he has escalated it from a statutory fine to a criminal offence (flight from police).

That's just my guess, but the area this happened in is crawling with people and close to houses on a busy Saturday, not the typical area nor time that we find poachers choose to do their dirty work. A seasoned poacher would tend to do his deeds in a remote area when few eyes are on him.

I bet he would have had plates. I bet he would have been caught for this, too, if he had plates. That's why the COs want this legislation - they don't want it to write tickets for plates/insurance. They want to curb poaching and environmental damage. We should too.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

I agree taking hunting privileges away will not stop someone from poaching because they probably didn't by a hunting license in the first place but it is still a deterrent. If at any time on any random check by a C.O if you can't produce a valid hunting license and you have a firearm in your possession and it is because it has been suspended then the C.O should have the ability to let the hammer fall.

The proper treatment would be to hang him up on a Wall of Shame , let his peers be the judge .
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Ill bet one of them houses he drove past had a security camera
    Kamloops cabins for rent!
    www.bclakefronts.com

Check out some amazing pictures on my Facebook of trophy fish and game:
    www.facebook.com/bclakefronts
    What about YOUTUBE, Check my video on how to make a Euro mount:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CanadianCade

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    I agree with Gatehouse, it's all fine and good chasing the bad guys but so far I always hear they get a wee wee slap. When we start reading that a poacher was caught and his gun, quad, binos, a suspension of hunting priviledges and a steep fine was imposed then we will be getting some where!!!
    you forgot to mention the white camo. that was key in gatehouse's plan.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

There are no whitetail in the area mentioned.

As far as poachers go I know a couple of the co's in the area, they report an average of 70-80% of hunters shooting thier out of season decoys. So 8 of 10 hunters are likely poachers.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoo View Post
    There are no whitetail in the area mentioned.

As far as poachers go I know a couple of the co's in the area, they report an average of 70-80% of hunters shooting thier out of season decoys. So 8 of 10 hunters are likely poachers.
    Would love to see those stats. Doubtful that is actually the case.
    What you do for yourself dies with you. What you do for others lives long after you're gone.

T.R.