Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Conservation officers finding too many hunters driving with loaded guns

Re: Conservation officers finding too many hunters driving with loaded guns

Illegal is illegal and stupid is as stupid does.. How sad is it that someone intentionally keeps their rifle loaded in the truck, to save a few seconds while they haul their a$$ out of their seat.

“In the Interior, there’s a large number of mule-deer days,” Van Damme said.
    Seems a little left field mentioning the length of our seasons in BC--as if it's a bad thing--in this context.

As for driving with loaded guns, in some cases guys might be trying to get a quick shot. In other cases it could just be people who forgot to take the mag out. Equally dangerous but perhaps less sinister.

I don't know about you guys but one time after stopping for some grouse which flushed right as I put a magazine in, I caught myself ready to get back in with the mag still in the rifle. Good reminder to prove stuff safe every time. From that point forward whenever I'm with a hunting partner I ask every time before they put in a gun in the car if they are certain it is unloaded. Annoying yes, but being a bit of a nag is worth preventing a fine, criminal charge or accident.

Always be sure to PROVE that the vehicle isn't in gear when you jump out too ;-P

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    As for driving with loaded guns, in some cases guys might be trying to get a quick shot. In other cases it could just be people who forgot to take the mag out. Equally dangerous but perhaps less sinister.
    Tried to edit this, but no dice. I meant being forgetful can be equally dangerous (ie: you could leave a round chambered)... driving with an attached mag and the action closed I wouldn't consider very dangerous, but I understand why it isn't allowed.

I ventured over to the gong-show that reg 3 is last week ....was stopped by the CO's as well ... quick check that firearms were not loaded and I had a hunting licence and I was on my way . I heard from another hunter later that there were quite a few guys stopped with loaded firearms in the vehicles .

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Ok thanks for pointing that out, can’t believe how wrong I was and how right you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I don't know why he always attacks me so vicously.

If U are hunting with a bolt action, keep two rounds between the fingers of your left hand with the action open. The rifle is between your legs with muzzle up. You can exit a vehicle quickly, load fast and throw down on your target. No reason to have a loaded weapon in a vehicle.

COs here in R8 told me that they've seen a lot of loaded guns in vehicles too. Seemed like a large increase to them.

They also said they have stopped a pile of dope smokers too. Guns confiscated for 24 hours til ya sober up. Think about it before ya hit the pipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Singleshotneeded View Post
    If you're road hunting put a few cartridges in your detachable magazine, put it on the console. Lean the empty rifle in the corner of the console and passenger seat, and it's ready to grab pretty quickly if you spot a buck in the clear cut. If you're driving very slowly they won't freak out and start running, and you'll have time to shoot! Putting the mag into the rifle and pushing the bolt forward doesn't take a heck of a lot of time!
    You forgot to mention that you need to exit the vehicle before you put the mag into the rifle.

I was fined 2 yrs ago for having my clip in my browning a bolt, it was laying in the backseat, nothing chambered but still classified as loaded. Paid my fine and traded the gun for a floorplate winchester.
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Handi tip for the Browning roadies , carry an empty mag in the rifle , and just drop in a single for that fast first shot from the jump. Faster than trying to swing in a mag on that floorplate.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

You can't fix stupid !!!
    wonder what’s over the next hill?