Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mule vs. Whitetail Deer

Mule vs. Whitetail Deer

Hello All,

So I have been hearing a lot about the whitetail invasion into region 3 and I am not to excited about it. In my mind the mule deer is just a much better looking animal and I would rather they didn't get out competed by the whitetail. This makes me think of all the times I have heard of rainbow trout out competing the cutthroat trout.

Anyway, now to the point of this post. What are your views on the two? Which do you prefer and why? (Harder to hunt, more fun to hunt, better tasting, etc.) And finally how do you think the mule deer will fair with this seemingly inexorable march of the whitetail?

Personally I think we are very blessed with the population of mule deer we have here in BC and I would like it to be around for a long time. I am heading out this weekend with 2 tags (mule and whitetail) and if I see a whitetail doe she is headed for my freezer!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mule vs. Whitetail Deer

Lots of research on the symbiotic interactions between the two species.

One paper of interest talks about the effects of WT deer keeping cat populations high when MD are declining, which leads to even further MD decline as the cat population no longer follows the rise and fall of MD numbers. Read it here, very interesting: http://environment.wsu.edu/facilitie...e/pdf/deer.pdf

I enjoy hunting both. I do like the flavour of a young, early season mule deer buck over WT, but the edge is small.

Good luck on the hunt, hope you find a nice doe for the freezer!
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

I enjoy hunting both. I hunt mostly on foot and carry a bow. Mule deer are a much easier deer to hunt. This is my first year targeting wt, and I'm having trouble locating them of late. As far as rack, I need a monster of each lol. I'm glad region 3 opened the limit to 2 wt in an effort to get on top of the problem right away. I probaly see a 25:1 mule to wt ratio out there.

There is no invasion. Simple survival of the fittest.
    Whitetails are smarter, more careful, more aggressive.
    From my limited exposure to both they both have a place here because they generally occupy slightly different habitat.
    What is invading both of their habitats is cattle.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    There is no invasion. Simple survival of the fittest.
    Whitetails are smarter, more careful, more aggressive.
    From my limited exposure to both they both have a place here because they generally occupy slightly different habitat.
    What is invading both of their habitats is cattle.
    Interesting, I don't have to much hunting experience but I just have taken a shine to the Mule Deer, but that would be ideal if they could both stick around. I was hunting in 3-19 last weekend and it looked like someone had taken a lawnmower to grass, that has to be removing key deer food sources. Is anyone else of the same opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Sylus View Post
    Interesting, I don't have to much hunting experience but I just have taken a shine to the Mule Deer, but that would be ideal if they could both stick around. I was hunting in 3-19 last weekend and it looked like someone had taken a lawnmower to grass, that has to be removing key deer food sources. Is anyone else of the same opinion?
    That's because the first romance novel you read was about Mule Deer.
    Don't worry about it, you'll figure it out with exposure.
    They are both great in their own way.
    Alpine hunters definitely like mule deer better. Much like the coastal rainforest dwellers like hunting blacktails in the rain most of all.
    It's good to have choices.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

My theory is that whitetail deer are the hunting equivalent of bass; a lot of fun, resilient, and the Americans can't get enough.

They should have some cull hunts to get rid of the "coarse" whitetails .

Whitetail out of wheat fields taste much better than a mule hands down. They are smarter, harder to hunt and hide in places that a rabbit would need a map to navigate.

When I was very little, my Dad had a book from Jack O'Connors.
    I couldn't read at the time, but I would study that book every day, looking at the amazing
    Artist rendered pictures inside, they were magnificent to look at.
    There were pictures of every North American Game Species Illustrated inside this book.
    But 2 species, the Elk and the Mule deer, always drew my attention back to them specifically.
    I always dreamed of hunting them, because their surroundings in which they were illustrated in this book,
    looked like the areas that I just wanted to be in, to walk and hunt in.
    Thus my appeal for Mule Deer hunting.
    Ironically, I have yet to take either an Elk or Mule Deer in exactly the same terrain they were portrayed/ illustrated to be in.
    But what the hell, maybe one day!

I would think any deer that spends its days in apple orchards or blueberry fields for example....must be tastier! ( now let the debate begin over that)